PDA

View Full Version : Any comments welcome

Yvonne
04-05-06, 17:31
I really feel like I have reached the stage where I'm fed up with trying with my anxiety.

I went through a very bad Seroxat withdrawal last year and was put on Citalapram.

The Citalapram took ages to work and when it did begin to have an effect it wasn't that effective. My dosage was increased gradually over a few months.

Because the depression and anxiety were not getting much better the dosage was increased to 60mg to see if that would alleviate my symptoms. It did help but t hen I developed dry eye syndrome which was incredibly painful.

A psychiatrist deals with my medication because when I was in Seroxat withdrawal my doctor didn't really know how to handle it.

The psychiatrist wanted to mix the Citalapram (at a smaller dosage) with Nortriptylene which is a tricyclic. I was prepared to do this but not over keen.

When I did take the two meds together I felt zombieish and my eye problem was worse.

I have been reducing the Citalapram over the last 6 weeks and am now on a dosage of 10mg plus 75mg Nortriptylene.

The psychiatrist recommended that the Nortriptylene dosage be raised to 100mg. However, two weeks after having been on the Nortriptylene I had to have an ecg. A side effect of this medication can be abnormal heart rythm.

My doctor called me a couple of hours after I had had the ecg and told me not to increase the Nortriptylene as the ecg was showing up an abnormal heart rythm. I was really shocked by this, I certainly had had no inidcation that my heart wasn't performing properly.

I have just had a second ecg today and if the result is still showing arrythmia (medical term) - then I will probably have to come off th is medication as well!!

I feel low at the moment and for the last two weeks my anxiety has been a lot worse. I am having bad panics and it's really getting me down. I think the panics are to do with my withdrawal from Citalapram.

If anyone has been through anything like this then I would be pleased to hear from you.

For the last year I have battled with anxiety and depression. I have put myself in situations which induce panic and have just gritted my teeth, I have tried not to avoid things and was coping a little better.

Now the panics seem determined to return again despite all my efforts and it just makes me feel like throwing the towel in and not trying any more.

My immediate response when I start to get panic symptoms is that I want to burst into tears. I have mentioned it before on this forum and people have said that they do at times feel the same during panic.

Psychologists, counsellors and gp's will tell you never to hold the tears in and to let them out as it's a release of tension. When I get panicky say in a supermarket and I get the urge to cry I cannot stand and cry. I really don't know how to deal with it all any more.

Take care all

Yvonne

Y Goble

joolsukuk
05-05-06, 10:54
hi yvonne you have been through alot no wonder your feeling so bad if you want to cry cry who cares where! i have done just that people will either not look at you or ask if they can help thats been my experience so go forit if you need sorry youve had problems on meds sometimes it takes a while to get the one right for you i try to remember when im feeling awful that ive felt like this before and i got through it so i will again best of luck hun thinking of you xx

Paddington
05-05-06, 11:14
i feel like you today,cant stop crying and am totally fed up with feeling so ill and scared.I have never ben given these drugs but wonder if they would have workrd any way,listening to such awful stories about witdrawal etc,my heart is with you ,it really is.just wanted you toknow that the down days like these are shared by me and many others too i would think,STINKING VILE AREN'T THEY!There that has said it!!!love mary-rose.xxxxxxxxxxxxx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore

Yvonne
05-05-06, 13:02
Thanks both of you for your lovely replies.

I just had a phone call this morning from my occupational therapist telling me that I have to stop taking the Nortriptylene today! Obviously the ecg is showing up an abnormal heart rythm still.

She told me to raise the Citalapram to 20 as from today, and I have to phone her next Friday to tell her how I am. She said that the reason I got the dry eye syndrome before was because the Citalapram was at such a high dosage. Fair enough, but the dosage was put up that high because I hadn't been improving to a great degree.

God knows what the next few weeks are going to be like now, coming off the Nortriptylene so abruptyly is bound to cause a few withdrawal symptoms.

I'm just fed up with it all.

Thanks again for the replies.

Julesokuk; It made me feel better what you said about crying, but I have this vision of myself really sobbing - not just a few little tears. Anyway what you said did make me realise others feel like it as well.

Mary rose - you're little sentence about us being in the same boat and guiding each other through is great.

Take care

Yvonne

Y Goble