PDA

View Full Version : Time to ask for medication?

nhf
29-07-11, 16:36
Hi

Sorry for such a long post but i just dont know what to do anymore - i want the old me back.

I have posted a few times on the site since joining. I have suffered with panic attacks and anxiety since Jan/Feb. It started with a PA in my second job.

After visiting the DR (didnt know it was a PA) he sent me to hospital. All tests fine (ecg, bloods, urine, echocardiagram). Clean bill of health given yet two weeks later i had another attack. Back to hospital. All clear given again. Another attack a few weeks later that was so intence i called 999 and ended up at hospital again. They advised me to speak to my GP about anxiety.

I have been seeing a counsellor through my GP on a fortnightly basis. My GP has said no to medication and keeps suggesting i meditate.

I have just had a weeks stay in the hospital due to vertigo (had all clear MRI). (had this before so not really contributing to the PA/A). During my stay i had another panic attack. The ward sister thinks i may be suffering from spontaneous panic attacks however my GP insists there MUST be a reason. I dont see it as all the situations they have happened have been totally random. (work, home, hospital, out walking, evening class)

This has been going on for six nearly seven months (i know this isnt long compared to alot of the members on here) and i feel i am not getting any better.

I avoid things i used to love! I used to love to drive and would think nothing of getting in the car and disappearing for the day on my own with my camera (i love photography) now i'm too scared to travel very far from home. I used to love to drive and visit my family 165 miles away in dorset by the beach - a journey i loved - its so pretty across country - now im afraid to go! Some days i struggle to just walk into the local supermarket.

My friends, family and work collegues all say i am not myself and i agree! I was a pretty self confident person before this - very little scared me, i loved to try new things and travel, go to concerts and music festivals etc... now the thought of any of that terrifies me as i'm so frieghtend i will have a PA.

My question is - can medication help take away the physical sensations of anxiety? and would it help me get past this?

I feel if i could get past focusing on the physical senstations of anxiety i could finally start to get my life back. I am so fed up of being terrfied all the time :weep:

I hope to hear some thoughts - thanks in advance!!!! xxxxxx

This website is a godsend and i am so glad i found it! :hugs:xxxxx

PS - I have relaxation CDs and the book by DR Claire Weekes

nhf
29-07-11, 16:39
Sorry forgot to say - alot of my anxiety is the thought of having another panic attack or passing out (i'm afraid of fainting!! - silly i know :weep:) xxx

Anxious_gal
29-07-11, 16:42
I suggest you speak to another GP,.your GP refused you treatment, he works for you,

Anxious_gal
29-07-11, 16:43
Also have you been referee to the mental health team? You need a psychiatrist for a proper evaluation, they also like giving meds, ask for therapy too such as CBT

nhf
29-07-11, 16:45
Thanks for the replies mishel - the counsellor i am seeing through my GP is a CBT counsellor....... i havent been refered any further than this.... xxx

Also - my surgery only has the one GP

nhf
29-07-11, 17:07
Also just wanted to say - its not that i want to take meds but at this point i will try anything to help me get past this - prior to the last attack i have always said i did not want to take medication to get past this.

Now i will try anything as i just want my life back! I've tried Kalms and Bach remedy too.....

xxx

Nataliex
29-07-11, 17:22
Hiya i found that after i started taking medication it calmed me down a lot but i wouldn't say it was a quick fix for the sensations/feelings, it took a lot of work with the CBT and myself to stop having them as much. I have been doing well for 2 years until recently when something triggered it all off again and i have been on meds for about 3 to 4 years now. One thing from my own personal experience is that when i first started taking meds it was very difficult to cope with the side effects such as shaking and feeling sick, it lasted for about 3 weeks and it seemed like it was never going to end, but it did. I tried my hardest not to go on meds but in the end i just couldn't cope with it. Hope this helps you xx

nhf
29-07-11, 17:26
Hiya i found that after i started taking medication it calmed me down a lot but i wouldn't say it was a quick fix for the sensations/feelings, it took a lot of work with the CBT and myself to stop having them as much. I have been doing well for 2 years until recently when something triggered it all off again and i have been on meds for about 3 to 4 years now. One thing from my own personal experience is that when i first started taking meds it was very difficult to cope with the side effects such as shaking and feeling sick, it lasted for about 3 weeks and it seemed like it was never going to end, but it did. I tried my hardest not to go on meds but in the end i just couldn't cope with it. Hope this helps you xx

Thankyou for the reply Nataliex - your reply does help - i have also been trying my hardest - i''m just so terrified at the thought of another panic attack :weep: it has to be one of the worst feelings in the world!! I wake up everyday feeling sick to my stomach - worried that today will be the day another one will happen

Hope things calm down for you soon too!! :hugs:

Nataliex
29-07-11, 17:31
I know it is very hard, one minute your loving life and then the next out of nowhere PA hits you and everything you used to know isn't the same anymore. The first time round i couldn't leave my house for months, i would just watch people walking by having fun and over the last 2 years i have managed to get most of that back, i even went on holiday last year, so this time around i am fighting it the hardest i can because i don't want to be that person again that couldn't do anything. You will get through this, even though it doesn't feel like it now and you have probably got a lot of hard work ahead but trust me it does get better xxxx

cb77
29-07-11, 17:36
Hi nhf
Why don't you ask your doctor about propranolol? It's a beta blocker used to control your heart rate and so takes away a lot of the physical symptoms of anxiety. I take it but it does have side effects, very tired and loss of appetite. Hope your feeling better soon

mtatum4496
29-07-11, 17:48
Hi NHF - the decision to use medication as part of your treatment is a personal one. There is no one perfect treatment for anxiety and panic that does the trick for everyone. For me, the process included dietary changes, vitamin regimens, exercise when and as I have any energy (the anxiety manifests with me as extreme fatigue nowadays), and the use of alprazolam (Xanax) on an as needed basis. As someone who used to be violently opposed to taking meds, it has been a humbling experience to admit that they were and to a degree still are an essential part of my recovery.

Also, if you haven't had a complete physical (and I mean EVERYTHING checked), please do so as soon as possible. Anxiety and panic can be triggered by a number of health issues that once diagnosed and treated will cause the symptoms you have to go away.

nhf
29-07-11, 18:56
Thankyou Nataliex - Your post gives me hope that i will beat this!!!! I really appreciate the replies.

Hi nhf
Why don't you ask your doctor about propranolol? It's a beta blocker used to control your heart rate and so takes away a lot of the physical symptoms of anxiety. I take it but it does have side effects, very tired and loss of appetite. Hope your feeling better soon

Hi cb77 - unfortunalty, im unable to take beta blockers due to being asthematic......

Also, if you haven't had a complete physical (and I mean EVERYTHING checked), please do so as soon as possible. Anxiety and panic can be triggered by a number of health issues that once diagnosed and treated will cause the symptoms you have to go away.

Hi mtatum - i have had a full check over the last few months (four different hospitals and many appointments with my GP), heart, brain, ears, liver, kidneys, bloods, urine, eyes - have even been checked for diabetes! All clear health wise.....

Thanks all for the responces - really appreciate it xxx:hugs:

Dying_Swan
30-07-11, 17:58
Hi nhf.

Sorry to hear you are having a rubbish time of it. 6-7 months is long enough 'aint it?

There are different medications which can help, but it partially depends on your GP as to whether or not they will prescribe. I was given Lorazepam when mine was very bad and it did help me. I was also on Citalopram, but I think the Lorazepam took the edge off. It is very addictive which is why some doctors won't prescribe it, so if you do get any of that type of medication, it's important to be careful with it. I found it helped me regain my confidence and I slowly stopped 'needing' it.

Whilst meds can help, I think tackling the underlying issue is more important. Like you, I used to be just terrified of a PA coming on at any moment, and the more scared I was, the more it happened. That's how it works. I don't really agree with your GP in saying that there HAS to be a reason - the reason is simply that you have had a couple of panic attacks and you are scared of having more, right? There probably was something that triggered the first one, but tackling the cause of the ones you are having now is key. I also had a fear of fainting, and never suffered with the hyperventilation/breathing issues so many have. It's all caused by an inappropriate release of adrenaline and cortisol, which are your main stress hormones. If you are scared of panicking, then you are just as scared as if you were facing a real danger. It's just that there is no danger. One thing that helped me a lot was the knowledge that you will not faint when you are panicking. Fainting occurs due to low blood pressure. Panic causes your blood pressure to rise, and so it is almost impossible to faint when you are panicking. You are less likely to faint at those times than at any other time :)

Panic feels absolutely horrible but it is not dangerous. You will not faint/die/go mad etc. It's just a matter of sitting through it and allowing it to happen, which I know is easier said than done, when all you want to do is run away from it. It does take time and patience, but when you really start to believe it won't hurt you, the battle is won.

So, yes I do think some medications can help, but I also think it's hugely important to begin tackling your thoughts and feelings about anxiety if you're going to crack it. And I'm sure you will :)

Good luck

kibbutz83
30-07-11, 21:08
Hi nhf, is there any chance that you could be pre-menopausal? My first panic attack came out of the blue.. then I had hormone level tests confirming that I was approaching menopause... just a thought :)

nhf
30-07-11, 23:22
Hi nhf.

Sorry to hear you are having a rubbish time of it. 6-7 months is long enough 'aint it?

There are different medications which can help, but it partially depends on your GP as to whether or not they will prescribe. I was given Lorazepam when mine was very bad and it did help me. I was also on Citalopram, but I think the Lorazepam took the edge off. It is very addictive which is why some doctors won't prescribe it, so if you do get any of that type of medication, it's important to be careful with it. I found it helped me regain my confidence and I slowly stopped 'needing' it.

Whilst meds can help, I think tackling the underlying issue is more important. Like you, I used to be just terrified of a PA coming on at any moment, and the more scared I was, the more it happened. That's how it works. I don't really agree with your GP in saying that there HAS to be a reason - the reason is simply that you have had a couple of panic attacks and you are scared of having more, right? There probably was something that triggered the first one, but tackling the cause of the ones you are having now is key. I also had a fear of fainting, and never suffered with the hyperventilation/breathing issues so many have. It's all caused by an inappropriate release of adrenaline and cortisol, which are your main stress hormones. If you are scared of panicking, then you are just as scared as if you were facing a real danger. It's just that there is no danger. One thing that helped me a lot was the knowledge that you will not faint when you are panicking. Fainting occurs due to low blood pressure. Panic causes your blood pressure to rise, and so it is almost impossible to faint when you are panicking. You are less likely to faint at those times than at any other time :)

Panic feels absolutely horrible but it is not dangerous. You will not faint/die/go mad etc. It's just a matter of sitting through it and allowing it to happen, which I know is easier said than done, when all you want to do is run away from it. It does take time and patience, but when you really start to believe it won't hurt you, the battle is won.

So, yes I do think some medications can help, but I also think it's hugely important to begin tackling your thoughts and feelings about anxiety if you're going to crack it. And I'm sure you will :)

Good luck
Hi Swan - Thanks for the responce - the thoughts from the drs regarding my very first attack was that i was trying to do too much - i had worked almost 60 hours that week, been out for a few drinks with my friends, not really eaten enough before going out and after and not enough sleep.

I also agree nearly seven months is enough - i feel bad saying this as i know many people on here have suffered for years with attacks. I feel like anxiety is stealing my life away at the moment :weep: like you said - its the worrying about having another attack that is making me feel like this. If i could just stop concentrating on the physical senstations such as the nausea, acid reflux etc that comes with the anxiety i feel like they would slowly fade into the background and i could start to move forward!

At the moment i'm so aware of the nausea etc that some days all i want to do is sleep as it feels like this is the only time i'm free!

Really appreciate your reply - thank you soooo much :hugs:

Hi nhf, is there any chance that you could be pre-menopausal? My first panic attack came out of the blue.. then I had hormone level tests confirming that I was approaching menopause... just a thought :)

Hi kibbutz - I dont think so, i have only just turned 30 but it could be a possibility i suppose. Although is this checked by a blood test? i think my last blood tests my dr ordered everything he could think of......

xx

kibbutz83
30-07-11, 23:44
Hi, I guess it's unlikely it's menopause related if you're only 30. More likely to be adrenal fatigue... take care :)

nhf
31-07-11, 14:59
Thank you :flowers:

Still having a rough few days but hopefully they will get better - going to discuss the medication choice at my counselling appointment on Friday........

Just wish i could stop feeling so nervous and edgy all the time - makes it hard to think of other things and distract myself.

Does anyone else suffer with loss of appetite? I am trying little and often but just feel so sick i find it very hard to eat anything.

Today i have managed:
Banana, a small yogurt, 2 slices of toast and an apple. I know if i could eat an actual meal i would probably feel better but half the time i retch when i try :weep:

Would not wish panic attacks or anxiety on my worst enemy.

:hugs:

paula lynne
31-07-11, 16:42
Hiya Nadine x:)
Just wanted to wish you good luck for Friday x
If your appetite is off at the mo, go to Boots and try to fortisip/build up drinks and shakes. They come in several flavours and are full or essential vits and minerals, as well as quite high in calories. Just a thought til you get your appetite back hun x

nhf
31-07-11, 20:25
Thank you again Paula! :hugs::flowers:

Think i will go and get some of those drinks tomorrow.... Hopefully the appetite will return soon!! I know if i could just eat something i would probably stop feeling so sick.... fingers crossed this week is going to be a better one :) xx

paula lynne
31-07-11, 20:41
Youre welcome x:)
You sound a bit more upbeat and thats great! :D
I know with anxiety that if we dont eat little and often, adrenaline is released and turns into......yep......anxiety...which leads to...yep.more..anxiety. So food really does play a very important role. Im sure that the fortisip drinks will help you on your way to feeling a whole lot better and then your appetite should naturally kick in. You are going to have a better week, I just know it x:D

Meewah
01-08-11, 03:31
Hi Nhf

I somewhat agree with the doctor. Most doctors are shying away from prescribing Meds. There is a lot of research for the meditation he described. Mindful meditation may seem a little new age but it is one thing that will give you a little peace.

I was similar to you the first 6 months were the worse. I used to think I was going mad. I would almost live at the docs. Naturally though you begin to run out of reasons to visit the doctor and for me the embarrassed of going again started to take effect.

I soon learned that doctors are for physically sick people and so started my self medication. I listened to some podcasts on my ipod. These were australian meditation podcasts. I used to listen to them four times a day and try to follow everything they said. I could not believe how I felt for two/three hours after meditating. I wanted more.

I saw an advert for a local meditation class and it happened to be a local buddhist group. That and my fear of death were a great combination because as a practising agnostic I lacked the any beliefs that could instill hope.

Now 4 years on I still suffer with anxiety. I have learned to manage it. One thing I will not do is allow it to have any power over how I live my life. If I feel a fear doing something I do it over and over until I lose the fear. I went through the driving fear and the going in to shops fear but trust me nothing happens except you feel uncomfortable for 20 mins or so.

I will say I wish I could have kept going with the meditation on a daily basis but find that I use it as medication. If I feel ok I dont do it, if I feel anxious for a few days I begin the daily routine. Meditation is like an exercise it must be performed regular for it to have any lasting effect.

Finally. Put everything aside. Forget about travel, shops, Doctors. Try meditation for two weeks and see how better you feel.

Here's a great site I found recently I think it explains it without all the spiritual background. Me I enjoy the spiritual background it has helped me allay a number of fears about mortality.

http://www.getsomeheadspace.com/

You WILL feel better soon.

Mee

nhf
01-08-11, 11:20
Thank you, Mee, for the responce - i will have a look at the website you suggested.

Well today is feeling like a worse day unfortunatly.

I am suffering very very badly with acid reflux - woke up with it - its so bad today that its actually made me sick (sorry if tmi) that seemed to relieve the feeling for about half an hour but its back already:weep: can see me going through most of the hearburn liquid (using magnesium trisilicate mixture from the DR) at this rate today.

Looking forward to the day when i can get past all of this! xx

JohnBull
01-08-11, 20:58
Evening nhf. Panic is rubbish, isn't it? I started having regular bad panic attacks over a year ago and I went through the GP/emergency visits to out of hours doc process before I sought mental help. I would say that CBT has definitely helped. I had to be pushed to make sure I did the practice (in the kind I did they called it introceptive exposure - i.e. exercises that create panic symptoms to you can practice feeling them and not being scared) but it helped bundles.

What I would say in response to your initial description of your experiences, based on what I learned from the CBT, is that the symptoms aren't the problem. Its how you respond to them that is. So if you wake up dizzy you can either think -oh no! I'm panicing! or you can think oh, there's some dizziness. It will be gone in a bit. Harder said than done, don't I know it, but I think that is the important lesson I took away.

I hope the meditation is helping you. It reminds me of this great video that talks about using meditation for curing panic attacks. It's a wonderful Buddhist monk talking about his experience of solving panic through meditiation: http://youtu.be/gaB9B5Ty3cg

Good luck. I'm sure that you will get through it and be stronger on the other side.

John Bull

nhf
02-08-11, 16:20
Evening nhf. Panic is rubbish, isn't it? I started having regular bad panic attacks over a year ago and I went through the GP/emergency visits to out of hours doc process before I sought mental help. I would say that CBT has definitely helped. I had to be pushed to make sure I did the practice (in the kind I did they called it introceptive exposure - i.e. exercises that create panic symptoms to you can practice feeling them and not being scared) but it helped bundles.

What I would say in response to your initial description of your experiences, based on what I learned from the CBT, is that the symptoms aren't the problem. Its how you respond to them that is. So if you wake up dizzy you can either think -oh no! I'm panicing! or you can think oh, there's some dizziness. It will be gone in a bit. Harder said than done, don't I know it, but I think that is the important lesson I took away.

I hope the meditation is helping you. It reminds me of this great video that talks about using meditation for curing panic attacks. It's a wonderful Buddhist monk talking about his experience of solving panic through meditiation: http://youtu.be/gaB9B5Ty3cg

Good luck. I'm sure that you will get through it and be stronger on the other side.

John Bull

Hi John

Thank you very much for your reply! I agree - panic is rubbish! most dreadfull feeling in the world.....

I agree - it is probably the way i respond to my symptoms - it seems the harder i try not to repond the worse i feel, acceptance is the hardest part for me. I wish i could go back to the days when things like this never bothered me!

I will take a look at the video you posted - thanks again x

nhf
10-08-11, 12:38
Just thought i would post an update!

Have been back to the dr today as my note for two weeks expired today - he wanted to sign me off for another month! After a chat we agreed on two weeks.

I decided today to raise the question about medication. After a LOT of thought i decided its a route i want to try now (i want my life back and i'm fed up of being afraid of everything including leaving the house!)

So my Dr has agreed and started me on 10mg of citalopram.... just hope this helps me get past the anxiety and worry about panic attacks..... he's given me two weeks worth of the meds and i'm to go back two weeks today to see if i can go back to work and see how the meds are helping (i really hope they do!! Just hope i'm not getting my hopes up.....)

x

scrog80
10-08-11, 16:26
dont be scared of panick is the first thing it carnt hurt you ive had panick atacke where i was litrally walking in circles i was that f*ucked up

but now i still get the odd one its ok people sitting giving advice on here some people are great but asking some one who has panick can be a bad combination

im not going to tell you i feel sorry for you and all the othere stuff people like to write
be strong say to your selfe fu*ck panick go towards it you wont die or be hurt in any way when you learn to go towards it even welcome it like i did you will find how to deal with it no one can help you.... no doctor no proponolol can help you

people might think im mad but i had 10 attacks a day some times so many i would be in bed by 4pm sleeping 16 hrs a night exhausted from constant attacks but now guess what i dont have them if i do i welcome it that is the key the fact im scared of things doen not affect me like it did yes im still scared but i acceptt the thoughts i dont fight them yes i get a fuzzy head at its worse that is

fight the bit*ch dont let it get you