PDA

View Full Version : sertraline

Magic
29-07-11, 17:39
Hi There,
Is there anyone taking sertraline? My GP has changed my tablets to sertraline in place of citropram ( Sorry if spelt wrong).
I just wondered if they helped you.
I found that on cit I was very forgetful and hoping that the new tablets will help with my memory:shrug:
thanks

nomorepanic
29-07-11, 18:41
Hi Magic - I have moved this to the correct forum for you.

Loads of posts in here about it as well

snowgoose
29-07-11, 19:28
Hi Magic :hugs:

dont know much about the meds .....but boy the memory thing !!!!!

think it may have hormonal link you know ...guess perhaps you are middle age ?
if not ...sooooo sorry :blush:

I honestly cant remember some days what I ate for tea day previous .shocking !

anyway hope you feel loads better on the new med ...and that life is kind and calm for you .......and your daughter is content .

:bighug1:

MintyFresh
29-07-11, 20:03
Hi There,
Is there anyone taking sertraline? My GP has changed my tablets to sertraline in place of citropram ( Sorry if spelt wrong).
I just wondered if they helped you.
I found that on cit I was very forgetful and hoping that the new tablets will help with my memory:shrug:
thanks

For me sertraline certainly causes memory problems, in fact to the point that some work mates have started joking that I might be in the first stages of dementia...not particularly funny I know.

suzy-sue
29-07-11, 20:40
Ssris do have the problem of causing poor memory Magic ..Its because of the Dopamine levels .I really cant understand why your Dr would put you through Withdrawals and side effects to only go on another that will do the same .These type of antidepressants do slow you down and memory is affected to an extent .Maybe your dose is too high combined with hormonal issues as well its no surprise you are having this problem .I too am not as sharp at things regarding to memory since ive been on Citalopram .Especially when im stressed and tired ..It makes a bad combination ..Brain training games are recomended ,and I think its worth maybe trying rather than switching medication ..I know you have a lot to deal with and wouldnt want to see you having more to cope with than you do already .I found keeping a note book handy and writing things down I need to do ,if im going through a forgetful period ,Really does help .Also Omega 3 is good for memory and brain function ..Its a proven fact ..T/c LUV sue x

Magic
30-07-11, 12:12
Thanks every one for your replys.
My Gp has given me 20mg of sertraline. Have started them straight after having my last 10mg of cit, so taken 2 tablets so far.all well as yet.
I told my GP about the anger. I have never had so much anger in me.
I was mortrified to tell the Gp how I treat my dear husband and have to grovel for his forgiveness.We have been married for 45years. never been as bad as i am now. My Gp suggested Councilling.---- I said no because no one can put things right.
Snowgoose who is a god send to me and susie. thanks minty.
As for my daughter she is to be refered to a care home for young people with similar conditions, and at present is in hospital. She has come to terms that she will never get any better.
God has not been kind to her or us.
Now I have depressed every one ---sorry, I am so glad I can talk to you all on NMP
Love to all

suzy-sue
30-07-11, 13:38
Aww bless you Magic ..Its good to get it out ..So much on your plate :lac:.Hope the transition from one drug to another goes well ..Shouldnt be too bad if you were only on 10mg ..Pent up frustration has a way of coming out and is part of the condition .Boiling kettle and all that ....It can sometimes be made worse by certain drugs .I hope you start to feel more calm soon ,and you daughter settles in well .Will be something less to worry about .Less stress and less to worry about will help you .Take care my love .Lots of luv Sue xx:hugs:

snowgoose
30-07-11, 14:11
oh Magic ....this is one of those occasions when I wish that all of us lived in the same village and we could balance our cuppa on the wheelie bin and chat over the fence .

You have had a horrendous time lately combining your own illness and the needs of your daughter which has been thrown back at you so many times .
your mother instincts to keep going have been nothing less than awe inspiring.
And we all have a breaking point Magic :hugs:

so your frustration and anger have been directed at your husband ..........very understandable ......you have been married a long time and it what we do when cornered .

advice ? well when communication broke down in my own home with teenage lads :mad:..............I started writing them letters to say sorry for rage or put my point over . they were always read ......human nature to look and see .

why dont you write a letter to your husband explaining why you got so angry and explain your feelings .........an apology if appropriate . It will open up your talking again and support for each other ..........you are two people who have endured too much stress for too long my love .

I believe your daughter once the transition is over will be much more settled ...and if she is content then it will follow you and your husband will relax.

sorry cant comment on the meds Magic ........but hope they help soon.

Life has sure dealt you all a hard time Magic ..............but I can see progress here ....the stale mate of enduring the status quo has gone .

life for you all is going to improve immeasurably Magic ...hold on .a day at a time for now .....thinking of you xxxx

Magic
30-07-11, 16:54
Hi Suzy and Snowgoose,
Thank you so very much.
We have just come back from hosp visiting to see daughter and we managed to have a laugh today. Hubby is quite deaf and has hearing aids in both ears. He was messing with them (as always) he said they were slipping out of his ears. and my daughter piped up "Do you want some blu-tack". We all laughed. The other patients in the ward are all elderly and they all understand her moods.I don't she has offended any one.
My GP has stopped my cholesterol tablets for 2 months because of muscle pain nearly everywhere in my body, so I will have to be careful with diet,and I need to do some blood pressure readings to take to her in 2 months,--- and to see how I am getting on with sertraline
Snow goose. Yes good idea about the letters, I have done it in the past,----but
it was the other way around,He was in the wrong and I asked in the letter for him to stop .and he did.
(Blimey a piture has just fallen off the bedroom wall) not kidding ,whats that a sign of ??? wheres the blu-tack!!!!!!!!!!!
Would love to be closer to every one to have a good natter.Snow goose----- Keep getting to the freezer department in the supermarket on time, my hubby takes my bag from me and wraps it around the trolly to stop me continually looking for my purse!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love to everyonexxxxxxx

snowgoose
30-07-11, 19:24
Hi Magic :)
you got me laughing about your handbag and your hubby wrapping it around trolley ...as for freezer aisle well......keep looking for you :hugs:

got me chuckling too about hubby being deaf ............we both are a bit deaf in this house and can sit all evening conversing we think ! ...........but having completely different meanings . guess yeh blah blah .really ? yack yack .neither of us getting it . but companionable all the same :)

hope you did not take offence at my suggesting you should write letter Magic .
never ever meant it was your responsibility to start the chat . no no . xx

really pleased about your daughter making blue tack joke :).. ......it is spooky though .
this has happened to me loads about pics falling etc ..........my lights flicker in very regular pattern sometimes if very very disturbed .

you will be ok Magic .............honest xx

been pondering on the NMP village I dream of ........all of us arm in arm off to the supermarket to We ARE FAMILY .......or I WILL SURVIVE ......and then on to the airport to cheer others on .

sorry if this seems flippant -it isnt at all .

I find huge comfort here to know I am not alone ........and laugh at myself .

take care MAGIC :bighug1:

Tyke
31-07-11, 05:52
Sertraline worked really well for me Magic. Side effects were pretty horrible for the first four weeks or so, but once it kicked in they really did help. No major memory problems for me, functioning really well on a 50mg dose. Never had any other SSRIs, so I can't compare it to Citalopram or anything, but I do know that even though they are similar they can work in different ways in the same person.

Tyke :)

Magic
31-07-11, 09:46
Hello Tyke And Snow Goose,
Snow goose
What a lovely lady you are. I get everything you say. Not offended by any thing you suggest, never will be.
Deafness causes loads of problems I won't go on about that else i'll be here all day.
Have to have a laugh sometimes even if you feel like screaming
Hope you and your family ok.:hugs:
Tyke,
You have made me feel a lot better about taking the pills. I
Thank you for that:yesyes:

Granny Primark
31-07-11, 11:48
Hi my fellow stokie.
So sorry you are going thru a bad time.
I take 100mg of sertaline and I find my memory is effected.
However my doc gives me vitamine b and thaimine.He reckons it helps with the memory loss.
Always here for you my friend you are more than welcome to have my number if you feel down and want a good rant. Or even to come over for a coffee.
Fancy another trip to Liverpool?:D
It was a good day out and it was good to meet you. Im glad this site is helping you.
Loads of good wishes to you and your family.:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

Magic
31-07-11, 14:52
Hi again Granny,
Just seen this post. I hope you have read my post about your cousin----
Please take care -----and thank you for thinking about me.
I have not been on any days out this year.
But I went to Liverpool 3 times last year. I Love it there.
Perhaps we could meet up when the children are back to school.
we looking after our grandaughter some days, and at a guess you are looking after yours.(BLESS THEM).
Lots Of Love

Magic
31-07-11, 14:55
Granny
I forgot to say That I will be starting on Vitamin B complex asap.
I use to take them years ago. Thanx for the tip xx