PDA

View Full Version : Hello, here to get better :)

Plysg
29-07-11, 19:56
Hiya,

I'm 24, female and living in South Wales. I fell upon this site some weeks ago after finally acknowledging that actually I'm not doing so well and only I could start making it better. It's been such a huge source of reassurance to me, even just having a quick browse on my lunch break, knowing there's a community there that understands what I'm going through.

Looking back, I can see I've been anxious quite a lot in life, probably since I was about 13. Although I didn't know at the time that anxiety was what I was experiencing. I spent about a year on citalopram when I was at uni but took myself off them when I dropped out.

My anxieties I suppose come from my family. My younger brother struggles with social contact and went through hell growing up. This resulted in him becoming a very angry and volatile teenager, continuing now into his twenties. He only really responded to me and I'm incredibly protective of him, but we've had some awful, awful episodes which have left me in a constant worry about him. It's only now I can see how much of an impact my worry for him has had on my life, but at the same time I feel horribly guilty for even saying that. My parents are both depressed and heavy drinkers and it breaks my heart to see the three people I love so unhappy.

Needless to say I'm so used to feeling rubbish and tense that I didn't even realise that 'anxiety' is a word for it. My anxiety goes straight to my stomach and I now worry myself stupid over every little grumble. I'm pretty rational and understand that if I relax, I get better but sometimes being relaxed isn't an option as I work in a very busy stressful job I loathe. I finally approached my manager and told him how I was feeling, and he was completely taken aback as I hadn't given any of it away over the 2 years I'd been there.

Basically I'm here because I want to get better and have already started making steps to do that but would love to speak with some like-minded people along the way. I'm currently on medication for acid reflux caused by being anxious and am finding the whole thing really hard going, just seem to be run down with something all the time at the moment. I really just want to keep positive and moving forward.

I hope I get to know you all a lot better, and would love to chat with anyone who's going through the same :)

Thanks for reading,

P

nomorepanic
29-07-11, 19:57
Hi Plysg

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

paula lynne
29-07-11, 20:32
Hi P, welcome to the forum! Glad you found us x
Im in the valleys, and there is a meet at my house mid August, please PM me if you want more details. Just a quiet afternoon with about 6 people, nothing to worry about. Youre more than welcome to join us, can even arrange transport from Bridgend to my house thanks to another member (Frankie is back). :)
Nice to know you anyhow, you'll be ok here with us, we're a friendly bunch.:welcome:Best wishes, Paula x

nhf
29-07-11, 20:39
HI!
:welcome:

I am also from South Wales (Valley girl :)) and have found this site so helpful, everyone is so friendly and there is always someone who knows exactly how you feel. Dont know what i would have done without it the last few months :hugs:

paula lynne
29-07-11, 20:48
Well NHF, nice to meet another Welshie! Youre welcome to the meet to if youd like to come along? PM for details, and we can go from there.......x (Im OGWR,) x:)

nhf
29-07-11, 20:52
Well NHF, nice to meet another Welshie! Youre welcome to the meet to if youd like to come along? PM for details, and we can go from there.......x (Im OGWR,) x:)
Thanks Paula lynne!! Im just outside of Caerphilly x:)

paula lynne
29-07-11, 21:02
Sent you a PM NHF x:)

nhf
29-07-11, 21:06
Thanks! xx

Plysg
31-07-11, 10:59
Hiya, thanks for the replies :) Meet up sounds great, thanks for inviting.

Let's hope we get through this :hugs:

paula lynne
31-07-11, 16:44
Plysg, Ive sent you a PM with the details of the meet, youd be most welcome x:)