PDA

View Full Version : The power of the mind?

mum-of-4
30-07-11, 12:40
Hi everyone

Hope you are all having a good day.

I am just sitting here worrying about my latest obsession that one of my moles has turned cancerous (despite it not actually changing at all) and it occurred to me that last week I was convinced that I had some sort of bowel cancer because of the pressure and pain in my left hand side. This week I am sure that my mole is dodgey as I keep having a prickly feeling in it. Anyway since worrying and obsessing about the mole I haven't had one pain/muffle in my side. Last week I don't remember having these sensations in the mole.

Is the mind really that powerful that it can cause symptoms to be worse?

Has anyone else realised that this happens?

One one hand I know that it makes sense that if you obsess about something then it can get worse but can you really give yourself symptoms?

Would be really interested to know what other people think.

Thanks.

Love Fran x

cromford
30-07-11, 12:47
Yes Fran. Your mind is very powerful. It can convince you of something that is not true. If you really focus on something you can believe it to be true. This goes for negative focus and positive focus. Sadly a lot of us spend too much time focusing on the negative.

looking4answers
30-07-11, 23:45
Read Zeepak Chopra's books and he says its all to do with the mind:)

anthrokid
01-08-11, 11:56
Hey Fran,

As an anxiety sufferer myself, and also a university student studying to become a psychologist (how ironic), I have definitely noticed this. When you pay more attention to something, you direct more attention to it, which results in more sensations being felt for that particular area because you have made your body so alert to any feeling or sensation that may occur in the area. Think of it this way, you are never aware of feeling in any one part of your body unless you intentionally think about it. Think of the sole of your foot for example. If you think of it now, you may notice that it feels different to before. In fact, it isn't that it feels any different than before, but that you are just paying more attention to that feeling. It's the same with aches and pains too, if you worry about soemthing, you tend to tense that area, which increases the pain because you are tensing the muscles in the area.