PDA

View Full Version : how to deal w/ a really difficult sister

starshine
30-07-11, 13:33
Hi, not sure if this is in the right place but i really need to vent and need some advice.

About 2/3 weeks ago i had a bit of a nervous breakdown, i am still recovering, and have been diagnosed with panic disorder and anxiety. Its been really bad, am starting to feel a lil bit better, i think the ad's might have started working but im still pretty unwell.

anyways......
My sister who is 2yrs younger than me is REALLY stressing me out, and i think its got to the point where shes slowing down my recovery if not making it worse.

She has always been really bitchy and difficult to talk to, quite selfish and self centered, but shes my sis so of course i love her n just accept her for being her. She called me tonight at 10pm asking if i wanna come over and drink with her. I politely told her no thanks, im in my pj's watching movies (i was feeling really relaxed for the first time in ages)

She started getting hostile, talking about cmon dont be a loser, come drink with me. Once again i politely told her i was under doctors orders to just relax and i cant drink anyways because im on ad's. She burst into tears and said i dont care about her or anything she does. She was drunk and had already drank a bottle of wine by herself.

I tried to get her to calm down but she kept yelling, called ME selfish, and said im going to end up just like our mum. She has issues with mum cos mum had anxiety while we were growing up and she blames mum for giving me anxiety. (i care for our mum fulltime) i dont blame her for nething.

She then started yelling saying that all i talk about when she calls me is me. I cant believe this, cos EVERYTIME she calls all she talks about is herself. She's had 5 different boyfriends in the past 4 years, and theres always some drama going on with her. She said she does everything for me. I havent seen her for 2 months, only thing shes done recently was talk me through a panic attack on the phone. This has been the first time in 5 years i have ever asked her for anything, and all it was was to calm me down.

Her behaviour really scares me cos to be honest its bordering on crazy. She has such a temper and she seriously believes shes right about EVERYTHING and you just cant get through to her. Somehow i calmed her down and got off the phone with her, but now my anxiety is through the roof and im shaking all over. I cant deal with this while im so sick.

I know shes gonna call me and want me to come over again during the week and to be honest i dont want to cos i know shes just gonna start an argument, talk about how i "need to get out more" (getting out to her is drinking and clubbing everynight. Im almost 30years old and i grew out of that like 5 years ago) This is just making me sicker :(

God this is so long and if you've read this far thank you, i really just needed to vent.

saro
30-07-11, 18:50
Hi Star,

Sorry to hear about the dificult situation you are in. What I have understood so far with anxiety and panic attacks is that if a person does not suffer with it themselves they find it really difficult to understand just how much it can effect a persons life.

Could she not come to yours and have a night in watching movies together? Where you can spend some quality time together rather than going out? Also it might help if you had a good chat with her and explained you illness in more detail and how it effects you etc. Maybe you could compromise on the "going out" situation and just go for a meal together or something??

Hope this helps :)