PDA

View Full Version : Colonoscopy on Monday Advice Needed.

Trevstan
30-07-11, 22:29
Hi all i get a colonoscopy done on monday 7pm and i started the diet today... the food you can eat is not the best tbh.

Anyway's few question's i have been given 6 Senna tablet's to be taken at 3pm on Sunday then a sachet of picolax at 6pm then one on the Monday at 10am... Have i anything to worry about like stomach cramp's or anything like that or is it plain sailing?

Also i have the choice of being sedated or not and just have gas and air... What's the best option? I am getting a lift to and from the hospital.

Getting worried about the prep more than the test.

Cheers Trev.

Mirabelle
30-07-11, 22:44
Hi
I think you can expect some cramps and need to be near the loo. I would go for the gas and air. I had it for childbirth and it's great and doesn't leave you feeling woozy.
Hope all goes well
x

nomorepanic
30-07-11, 22:48
Trev - you may want to read the posts in the specific colonoscopy forum on here. My experience is there too and a funny one at the top

Trevstan
30-07-11, 23:01
Hi
I think you can expect some cramps and need to be near the loo. I would go for the gas and air. I had it for childbirth and it's great and doesn't leave you feeling woozy.
Hope all goes well
x

Thank's, so you would just go with gas and air and avoid the sedation? Just worried it's gunna hurt lol

Trev - you may want to read the posts in the specific colonoscopy forum on here. My experience is there too and a funny one at the top

I'll have a look thank's :)

countrygirl
31-07-11, 13:52
I had one and had the fleet prep which is fleet by name and effect! I could not move from the bathroom for up to 2 hrs after taking it. Picolax is a bit gentler but does give more cramps.

Personally I would have sedation as the colonoscopy hurts when it has to pass round the top of your bowel ( it has to corner!) and having had a sigmoidoscopy without sedation ( never ever again) and a colonoscopy with sedation its sedation every time for me. The sedation does not knock you out you think you can remember everything but you can't afterwards.

I got quite bad cramps for a few hours after it but was then totally fine.
You will fart for england!!

Trevstan
31-07-11, 15:13
I am starting the clean out now... Should i just take alittle bit to make sure i dont have an allergic reaction to the med's?

And how fast wouyld it take for one to start?

countrygirl
31-07-11, 17:36
You need to follow the instructions absolutely to the letter or it will not work properly and you could find that they cannot do the proceedure tomorrow and you would have gone through alot for nothing.

I have never heard of anyone being actually allergic to it as in anaphlactic shock. The effects are unpleasant to say the least but then they are supposed to be!

nomorepanic
31-07-11, 18:40
Just stay near a loo as you will need it lol

Trevstan
31-07-11, 19:20
Lol picolax time!

Ambers
31-07-11, 20:20
All good advice above. I had one last year and yes staying near a toilet is a must. I would go for sedation too. One minute I was in the theatre getting ready and talking to the staff and the next waking up holding my husbands hand...I don't recall a thing inbetween (thankfully). No pain felt at all even afterwards. Good luck

Trevstan
31-07-11, 20:26
How long does this stuff take to work?

Trevstan
31-07-11, 21:08
Is it like pooing water because it's streaming outta me lol? I think i got rid of the solid's now.

countrygirl
31-07-11, 21:17
Don't you believe it! Its is totally amazing how much comes out as its not just the contents of your bowel but the stuff you have taken takes all the water from your body and dumps it in your bowel to flush hence the instructions to drink a certain amount of fluid every hour while you are doing the prep or you can become dangerously dehydrated.

With fleet prep as I said earlier with me I spent two hours in the bathroom unable to leave after taking it and then another few hours of having to go every 10 mins or so and I seemed to only have a few hours loo free before I needed to take next lot of prep. I remember taking my last dose at 7pm and could not go to bed till 1am and got up again at 5am because of needing to leave for hospital at 7am and was worrying that I would not be able to get to hospital because I was still going from 5-6am. I did manage it thanfully.

Trevstan
31-07-11, 21:46
Nearly didn't make the toilet that time! lol

This actually hasn't been so bad been about 6 time's in the last 2 hour's and it's mostly water coming out yellowy has it done it's job already?

Also a quick question do they alway's take a biopsy freaking out a little about that.

Trevstan
31-07-11, 23:59
Well my bum is like a blood orange bleeding well now :(... i think that's the last of it for tonight seem's like i don't need to go...

nomorepanic
01-08-11, 11:11
The biopsy won't hurt at all I promise.

What are they looking for did they say or is it just a general look around?

Trevstan
01-08-11, 11:35
I have had a little mucus and blood in my stool, and some weight loss so i think it's just a routine checkup (that's what they said) to make sure everything is ok up there... Hopefully no biopsy will be required i hope.

nomorepanic
01-08-11, 11:40
Good luck. I hope it goes ok for you.

Rich101
01-08-11, 20:34
How did you get on trevstan??? I have a sigmoidoscopy tomorrow. Ive had similar symptoms. But mine have lasted over 8 weeks now, including Diarrhea, mucus,blood, pain sometimes passing a stool. The diarrhea is prolific and passing wind is v.dangerous.lol

I can have sedation if I want it tomorrow, but think i am going to opt not to have it, as it means I have to fast for a few hours, and that prospect is not very appealing for me.

Let me know how you got on????

Trevstan
01-08-11, 23:06
Hi all well it went well wasn't looking forward to it... Got the all clear nothing found at all but they took 2 skin biopsy's to be checked just incase they missed something it say's on the form Right and Left sided colonic Bx on the form i got, just checking i guess.

The test itself was not to good the drug's didn't work and he got stuck going round a bend... Out came the gas and air didnt really help but it gave me something to concentrate on... And the bloating omg i was actually in so much pain coming home but after farting about 6-7 time's it's totally eased.

The only thing i am worried about now is that they took biopsy's... but if anything had happened they would have seen it straight away?

nomorepanic
01-08-11, 23:09
When I was diagnosed with Chron's Trev - they saw it almost immediately with a sigmoidoscopy - my colon was red raw apparently.

When I had a colonoscopy they couldn't get round the bend so I have never had a full one done.

Well done on getting through it - it is a horrid thing to have done

nomorepanic
01-08-11, 23:11
Can I move this to the colonoscopy forum as well for future reference for people?

Trevstan
01-08-11, 23:16
Yeah sure i guess it will help people :)... Also i meant if anythinfg serious happened when they take the skin biopsy's like a hole in my colon they would have noticed that straight away yeah? And will i pass some blood from my bottom and how much?

Sorry about all the question's that's just me lol

Edit -: Did you have skin biopsy's done?

nomorepanic
01-08-11, 23:23
I did and they then definitely confirmed I had Crohn's and I have IBS as well.

My partners mum and step dad both had biopsies as well and both had polyps removed and his mum was diagnosed with diverticulitis as well.

Trevstan
02-08-11, 01:18
Hi so biopsy should be fine how much blood will i pass since they took a chunk of skin? Also i am not sure what sedative i had but it didn't feel like it worked at all! I was wide awake during it. I know they gave me to i think one was to relax the colon muscle's and the other began with a p? was it pethidine?

Trevstan
02-08-11, 10:35
Yeah it was by IV it didn't really work but i managed to get through it... It was a little bit of blood something like i would wipe when my bum is sore last night... So i guess nothing to worry about.

Edit-: just passed some blood with my stool not alot something like you would have on pile's but it was there on every movement i guess i should only worry if it was streaming from me?

Trevstan
02-08-11, 19:44
How long does the cramping last i have a little bit on my right side nothing terrible but enought to feel it?

Hazel B
02-08-11, 19:50
I can't help with your question but well done for getting through this! One step over and done with!

Rich101
02-08-11, 21:17
Hi, just been diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis after a sigmoidoscopy, Relief and worry.Complete mix of emotions at the moment.