PDA

View Full Version : My cousin has just died

Granny Primark
31-07-11, 11:56
My cousin has died suddenly of a heart attack age 55.
I am now scared stiff cus heart attacks and strokes run in my family.
My aunts age 25 and 42 my mum age 60 and my cousins dad age 64.
My daughter says I should tell my doc so that I can get checked out.
I already take 2 blood pressure tabs a day. I havent had a bp check for months. Yet Ive been the docs for other things but he hasnt offered me a bp check.
I dont want pester him but this latest loss has made me realise that its obviously heredity. My other cousin had a slight heart attack a few weeks ago and my brother has to have a pacemaker fitted.

daisydoo
31-07-11, 12:08
I am so sorry what a horrible time. But you wouldnt be pestering your doctor! Say what you have said here and im sure you will be offered regular bp checks, healthy living advice etc. That will help you feel more in control and manage this. It must be a horrible worry but it doesnt mean it will be you but try and look at the positive that you know and can look out for any worries x

Hazel B
31-07-11, 12:12
I am so sorry for your loss. :hugs:

saro
31-07-11, 12:14
Hi GP,

So sorry to hear that! :( Dont worry about pestering your doctor just keep yourself as healthy and happy as possible :) xx

mikewales
31-07-11, 12:29
Sorry to hear that Lynn :hugs: ask your doc for a check, it may help your peace of mind

nomorepanic
31-07-11, 14:08
Lynn

Sorry to hear about your loss.

As you know I had a heart attack and we do have a family history as well.

My mum went to her GP and there were very good and gave her a thorough check-up and even an ECG for her peace of mind.

I am sure they won't mind you asking for this as well.

Magic
31-07-11, 14:40
Hi Granny,
Sorry to hear about your cousin. It is essential that you ask your GP for a proper examination and perhaps an ecg.Explain to GP about your relatives.
With what you have dealt with in the past is not good for your heart.
Stress can sometimes be related to heart disease.
Perhaps you could go to another GP in your practice.
Something similar happened to me. I am under heart disease(sounds awful I know) brought on by stress
and my mothers condtion which is hardening of the arteries.
Lets hope the results are fine.Good Luck
Lots Love

ItchyOne
31-07-11, 15:02
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Like everyone else said, I'm sure you have valid grounds to ask your doc for a check. Take care Lynn.

paula lynne
31-07-11, 16:36
Hi Lynn x
Im very sorry for your loss x I can only echo what other posters have said, seeing your GP is a good idea and make them aware of your family history. I hope you will be able to rely on family and friends over the days to come, and please let us know how youre doing hun ok. x Much love X:hugs:

worried91
31-07-11, 17:18
Sorry to hear of your loss.

I'm sure your GP won't mind you popping in to get checked out over something like this. In fact I suspect he'd be quite disappointed if you didn't. Explain your worries and that you believe it runs in your family and I'm sure he'll happily check you out. It won't take five minutes.

Take care.

uk23
31-07-11, 17:43
sorry for your loss

Granny Primark
31-07-11, 18:11
Thanks for your advice and good wishes.
Im going to mention it to my doc about my family history.
My cousin was very very popular. He kept the Red Lion pub. The pub where Robbie Williams grew up.
There was a full page article in our local paper all about him.
We are a very close family and we are all gutted about him but also very proud.

xBettyBoopx
31-07-11, 23:11
Hi Lynn

I am so sorry for your loss and also for all the anxiety it is causing you.

Like some people have already said, I would get all checked out at the doctors and tell him about your concerns as to the family history.

Take care
Love
Els
xxx

Deepest Blue
01-08-11, 00:46
Hi,

I'm exceptionally sorry to hear of your loss, he sounded like a lovely guy who won't be forgotten.

I agree about getting checked out if anything just for piece of mind.

Take care of yourself.

simi
01-08-11, 14:33
So sorry for your loss please take care x

jessicalittler79
01-08-11, 14:37
so sorry granny ...hun if u will feel better by going to doctor then i would go ..i hope u feel better soon ..take care

s11fyx
01-08-11, 17:38
so sorry for your loss x

Hazel B
01-08-11, 19:43
Try to grieve if you can and not let the health anxiety get the better of you.

Thinking of you.:hugs:

haynsey
04-08-11, 10:42
Sorry for your loss..:hugs:
My dad also died at 55 suddenly, and my uncles to have died from heart conditions. I lost my cousin aged 36, so i too worry about my heart..the only thing i can say is to go to your gp and i have a check up to put your mind at rest, that is what doctors are here for...

ronski
04-08-11, 17:13
Nobody can escape genetics but that does not mean that your fate is written in tablets of stone. The only thing you can do is to live a heart healthy lifestyle and just a point stress and anxiety alone will not give you a heart attack, it's the unhealthy lifestyles that accompany stress and anxiety that cause the damage eg excess drinking, smoking and eating to excess.
Certainly go to the doctors and get the tests, have the appropriate treatment and then if you can forget it as on your deathbed in many years to come you will look back and regret wasting your life over something you have no control over at all.
I do understand what you are going through as I suffer from health anxiety related to heart issues because my mother had angina for years and yes it did affect me big time but looking back what positive action came of worrying. None at all.