PDA

View Full Version : does anyone else get these side effects and do they get better?

cb77
31-07-11, 14:21
Hi fellow sertraline users.
I'm on day four and am experiencing the following side effects: tiredness, headaches, nausea, dizziness, feeling weak, lack of energy, motivation and appetite. I am also taking 10 mg propranolol twice a day too. Just wondered if anyone else has had similar symptoms and whether they passed and after how long? Btw my current dose is 50mg and I take it in the morning.
I would appreciate any feedback.
Thanks x x

Cat80
31-07-11, 18:59
Hiya I am 3 months in on 50mg of Sertraline a day.

I must admit to having a lot of side effects at the moment but I think I am just sensitive to meds. I still feel queasy, very tired, weak, peeing loads, raise in anxiety etc but I have seen a big improvement in my depression so I don't really want to come off them.

Most people I know have side effects but they usually go after the first 4 weeks, I guess I am just unlucky with how I react to meds.

cb77
31-07-11, 20:05
Thankyou for your reply cat x I'm glad you're feeling happier now but did you find your depression worsened to start with? I'm feeling even more hopeless than before! Also, how do you react to alcohol, one drink for me and it kicks off the dizziness! Please tell me it gets better so i have some hope in sticking it out!
Xx

Tyke
01-08-11, 03:58
Hi Cb77

I am on Sertraline 50mg and was taking Propranolol until recently too. I had just about every side effect in the book for the first four weeks, but they disappeared after that. Well worth sticking with it if you can. Unfortunately you do usually get a little worse before you get better, but for me it really worked out well in the end. My mood improved so much I go back to work, got out and about more and started enjoying life again. I'm now six months down the line and my doc is looking to take me off them shortly. Alcohol is best avoided until you are stabilised. My doc says I can have a little drink now, but warned me against it at the start as it does interfere with the meds a bit.

Tyke :)

cb77
01-08-11, 09:01
Hi tyke

Thanks very much for your reply. It's reassuring to hear about your success. I'm off work at the moment and can't imagine being able to do a full day let alone a week with these side effects but i am getting so bored at home! I'm determined to stick it out though coz i just so want to feel 'normal' again and be able to do all the things I used to without a second thought. I also don't like the person I seem to have become, withdrawn and snappy, no fun! I had a couple of drinks last night and it didn't effect me as bad this time but if you say it can interfere with the meds then I think I will lay off it for a while, I don't wanna sabotage my recovery!

Can I just ask as well what it was you used to suffer with and how that compares to how you are now? Sorry for being nosey!

Thanks again

Cb77 :)

Tyke
03-08-11, 05:54
Can I just ask as well what it was you used to suffer with and how that compares to how you are now?
It was a mixture of anxiety and depression. I felt rotten and anxious all the time. I hated going anywhere, meeting people and just felt physically ill the whole time. I had no concentration, lacked interest in anything, slept little and woke up early dreading the day ahead. I worried obsessively about anything and everything. This has all now gone. I am happy going out and meeting people again and enjoying all the things I used to. I am by nature on the introverted and nervous side so I am not bungee jumping or leaping out of aeroplanes sky diving yet, but I am doing all the things I was before I became ill! :yahoo::yesyes::yahoo:

sunset30
04-08-11, 14:09
Hi Tyke

Reading your post has given me some hope :) started sertraline a week ago. Did half a 50mg tablet a day for 6 days and started whole tab of 50mg today.
Because i started at 25mgs the main side efffects i have been getting is headache, gpeeing a lot, a bit more anxious and sweatier hands and feet than normal (higly embarrissing). Im trying to treat my condition of GAD,depression,insomia,social phobia and a bit of aggrophobia to. can't work due to my anxiety taking over evrything. I hope this changes for me soon:) Still waiting for councelling to which feels like a i have been waiting a life time.

cb77
04-08-11, 17:45
Hi tyke

Thanks for sharing your experience with me. The way you used to be sounds almost identical to how i feel right now. I'm sticking it out with these meds and hoping to share similar success to you. Just wish I could press fast forward!

Thanks again, I'll let you know how I'm getting on in a couple of weeks :)

X

soulsearcher
15-10-11, 01:31
Hello cb77

Side affects do go well did for me it does take time though I felt very tired for around one week sleeping three times a day but then one day I felt ok Just stick with them as Every time I altered my dose I was tired till I got used to them good luck with them hope everything works out

petram
15-10-11, 11:19
im weening off iwent to the docs feeling sluggish started taking 50mg regulary and my anxiety went through the roof which i was not suffering with b4!!!
i got every side effect in the bloody book too im on such a rollercoaster , i now have my harm ocd thoughts which are very distressing to me , i am practising cbt but some days it works some days im a nervous wreck!! im 7/8 weeks in my doc said its normal for the 1st week or 2 but this long is taking the piss!! i feel my life s on hold and i dont know how im gonna feel from 1 hour to the next , i have afamily and a job to look after and its destroying it , i v been on 25mg for the last week , last night i didnt take 1 but im gonna take 1 every other day . any1 else been effected like this , it seems all ssri s effect me this way and it takes months to feel better !! it seems so unfair to have taken a pill to make u better which as made me 150% worse . can any 1 relate to this or have any suggestions?? xx

Evstert
28-10-11, 22:29
Hi, I was given them for stress, I woke every morning with headaches and was tired at work all day, I am on 50mg, I am on my 2nd week and last night got so anxious and panicky, still feel it today, I used to have anxiety and panic attacks years ago and it was the worst thing ever but last night has really shook me up, I sleep all day too and hardly eat, am hoping I start to feel normal again real soon cause its really getting me down :(