PDA

View Full Version : Before endoscopy ....

jessieblue
01-08-11, 17:11
Do you have to stop taking omeprazole?? I am praying I dont have to go medication free for any length of time as this will send me into freefall. I take omeprazole and gaviscon everyday and still have uncomfortable symptoms several times a day! Will they need me to stop the meds before the procedure?? Please god dont let this be the case.

nomorepanic
01-08-11, 18:06
You would need to check with the doctor about this and they will tell you which medication you can/cannot take.

I wouldn't have thought you would need to stop it but best to check with them as we could give you the wrong advice.

eight days a week
01-08-11, 18:42
I kept the letter with instructions from my endoscopy and it says (I guess this will be the same wherever you have it??):

'If this is your first gastroscopy, and you are taking the following medication: (Omeprazole, Lansoprazole, Pantoprazole, or Rabeprazole) please stop this 7-10 days before your test. You can use Gaviscon or other antacids instead. If theis is not your first gastroscopy then please carry on with your medications as normal.'

I was dreading stopping the Lansoprazole too, but actually wasn't much worse without it (makes you wonder if it actually helps!) I hope you'll be fine too :)

Dahlia
01-08-11, 19:16
Yeah, you do have to stop Omeprazole etc. Oddly, however, Omerazole etc has side effects which are very similar to the symptoms that they are meant to be treating - stomach pain, nausea, wind, diarrhoea. This is why I never got on with them.

nomorepanic
01-08-11, 19:21
Ahh see I was wrong so this is why I suggested checking with a doctor first but now you have some great answers from 2 members.

jessieblue
02-08-11, 14:09
Thank you for your replies. Its no problem, I will check with the doctor, I havent seen the gastro yet. I am just trying to be prepred mentally for what will happen. I wonder if you can take zantac instead. Did your letter say anything about H2 receptors or ranitidine?? I started this today instead of the omep seeing as it doesnt seem to really help, but in the back of my mind I am really scared that without it I will be in a right state.

Thanks again for your support. x

eight days a week
02-08-11, 16:28
Thank you for your replies. Its no problem, I will check with the doctor, I havent seen the gastro yet. I am just trying to be prepred mentally for what will happen. I wonder if you can take zantac instead. Did your letter say anything about H2 receptors or ranitidine?? I started this today instead of the omep seeing as it doesnt seem to really help, but in the back of my mind I am really scared that without it I will be in a right state.

Thanks again for your support. x

The letter doesn't mention either of them jessie - just the bit I quoted, so it seems likely it's OK, though I'd probably phone and check to be sure.

I completely understand - I got very anxious about stopping lansoprazole, but when I did and took it day by day it was fine :) I always had the Gaviscon as back-up, and to be honest I felt no worse off the lan than on it! These days I take it only on really bad days - I've no idea if it actually helps, I guess I only take it on the off-chance!

jessieblue
03-08-11, 18:44
Oh great, doc says I can keep taking my omeprazole before the endo. I am also on domperidone as well to help with my LES, apparently. Just have to get through this now and see what is wrong in there. Heres hoping! Thanks for all the replies. xxx