PDA

View Full Version : Panic Attacks on the Tube

TheRed
01-08-11, 18:35
Hi everyone, I'm new here on recommendation from another member :) I feel like I should give some background/context to this post, so here goes:

I have had panic attacks since I was around 15, but only on and off at particularly stressful times.

Unfortunately, in the last two weeks I have been unwell from a bad case of food poisoning, that led me to have to get off the tube and go to hospital as I was desperately unwell with sickness and feeling faint.

I'm almost fully recovered now with regards to the bug, but the tube seems to be my big trigger; I can't stay on for more than two stops without my guts going wild, my heart pounding, my breathing short and unfulfilling and just generally feeling like I'm going to pass out.

I carry cold water with me and sweets to stop my sugar dropping, I haven't drunk tea for two weeks and I'm only really eating plain (but healthy) foods. I also don't drink alcohol or take any medication regularly.

I would REALLY appreciate any advice you can give on coping with the panic attacks, as I really miss work (been off for two weeks) and the tube is my only method of getting to work. The journey is around 20-25 minutes, so not long at all.

I have tried listening to podcasts, talking to my friend (which works for a few minutes), listening to a "Don't Panic" app and trying to control my breathing, but all really to no avail. When I get off I feel like I'm going to collapse and I could just cry.

benjibin
01-08-11, 19:19
Can sympathise completely with you. I haven't been able to drive to work for months so began to cycle in. Is this a possibility for you? it also means you get some exercise which as we all know is a great benefit for anxiety sufferers. Alternatively could you do the journey in stages? Get on at your start point and get off halfway, have a breather and then get back on for the rest of the journey. you'll probably find that this becomes such a pain that you end up staying on the tube and realise you're ok with the journey after all. Good luck with whatever you choose to do, I'm sure you'll beat it. :)

ElizabethJane
01-08-11, 19:55
Hi there I think that the key point here is to keep taking the tube. I know that you feel horrible and think that you are going to die. When travelling by tube it is important to have distractions although not too many or you might miss your stop. There is a point in a panic attack when it cannot get any worse. It is knowing that point and allowing the feelings to wash over you. It is hard at first if you are not used to inviting the panic. Try to breathe deeply. The more you keep practicing the journey the easier it will become. I've never enjoyed travelling by tube but I make myself do it! EJ.

JohnBull
01-08-11, 20:43
That sounds tough. I agree with ElizabethJane that facing up to your fears is important. The challenge is to see the feelings/symptoms for what they are and not add a load of 'panic' thoughts to them ('I must be really ill', 'there's something wrong with me', 'I'm going crazy' 'I can't cope' etc etc etc!)

If you live in the UK you can get free CBT via your GP/the NHS and I found this process really helped me. There are also some good online courses recommended on this website.

Nothing terrible is happening to you - it just feels like it is!

Peace and good luck,

John

TheRed
01-08-11, 23:17
Thank you all very much for replying, I really appreciate it.

I have tried a few times to face it head on but have only ever made it one stop; however I got on the tube this morning and made it two stops before having to get off. All the other times I only made it one stop, so I guess I need to be happy I have made some progress in the last week.

I'm getting on a train tomorrow too which will be good, hopefully I'll be able to get on the tube for a couple of stops to work after getting off the train. I have a different route in tomorrow as I have a doctors appointment.

JohnBull, I will ask tomorrow at the Doctors about CBT, I've heard a lot about it and it sounds like it would be massively beneficial to me. Do you know how long the referral process usually takes approximately?

ElizabethJane you mention letting the feelings wash over me, which makes complete sense so that I can ride it out and see nothing bad happens. However, how do you get past that critical point in the attack? I find every instinct in me is screaming for me to get off RIGHT NOW and everything feels so desperately scary I can't fathom sitting it out.

Benjibin, I think I may investigate cycling, it's something I have been looking at as we have all the Barclays bikes everywhere now. I guess I worry that if I can't get to a quiet place I'll freak out even more! I won't know until I try though!

Thanks again everyone :hugs:

If anyone else has anything they can suggest as a coping mechanism, I'd love to hear it :)

eight days a week
01-08-11, 23:40
Hey Red :)

Sorry, just a quick post from me, as time is short. My initial reaction was to see if you can push yourself with just one stop more each time, glad that idea appealed.

The second was that I've been there, and completely sympathise. Soon after I started getting panic attacks (while they were still alien to me) i went on the Tube a few times and had them there...OMG.

The third was that I read a piece in The Metro (I think) about trained 'mentors' for anxiety sufferers who go with them and help them, actually on the Tube, until they feel they can manage the journeys themselves.

It was a short but interesting piece. The guy featured was a 7/7 victim who was on the Tube at the time and had understandably never been able to take it since. Well, now he can!

Might be worth a google?

On the other hand it's only been a short-term thing for you, so I honestly think you can 'get over' this blip by pushing yourself bit by bit, and the sooner the better :)

Good luck!

benjibin
03-08-11, 20:43
The good thing about cycling is that you are in control and can stop when you want. You could always alternate and cycle one day and get the tube the next. Its good to try not to avoid what is making you panic and to face it as much as you can. I am driving the car with someone with me and hopefully doing this as much as I can will help me get past the thought of panicking. Best of luck with whatever you choose to do. :)

milkcarton
04-08-11, 11:58
Hi there!

I work in outer London and drive there but occassionally I have to go into central London to the Head Officer via train and Tube which terrifies me!

I had a migraine with Aura last year and ended up loosing my vision on the tube train, telling the person beside me that I couldn't see and she just shrugged. I ended up panicking and getting off the train, running up the escalators and going into the workers only office where I sat for 15 minutes when my vision was returning. I thought I had a brain tumour I was that scared but it turns out it was a migraine with aura that I suffered instead.

Ever since, I have been terrified of the tube. I still went on and did it but now something has happened me that my fears have increased dramatically. I have been so busy these past few months that I have not been into head office and I think this has a big part to play with my increased fear of the tube. I think you definitely need to keep up going, even if it is in small steps at a time. I made an excuse to my employer today for not going into head office and I'm now working in my office that I drive to. I really wish I did not have this fear but I know avoidance plays a key role in keeping the anxiety and fear in my system. I unconciously avoided it at the beginning of summer when I was really busy at work but I am now purposely avoiding it as I am afraid of getting the tube. It is easy for me to sit here and type that but this morning the last thing I could think of was getting the tube.

My advice would be not to cycle to work as that is still avoiding the situation. Maybe at the beginning, split your week up into 2 days of the tube and 3 days cycling? I have had a course of CBT to get over this fear and I know myself that I am avoiding the situation too much but sometimes I am so scared that I don't want to do it. We need to get over this and get out there! Maybe we should start a support group for people afraid of the tube? That would be cool!

Also, have you told you colleagues at work about your situation? I have not told head office about my fear but wondering if I should?

I hope you feel better soon and keep up the exposure. Crosswords or mobile phone games are a great coping strategy to distract yourself (CBT therapist doesn't think I should be doing that but if it keeps the panic at bay then why stop).

xx

TheRed
05-08-11, 18:55
Hi everyone again :)

Thank you again for replying and sharing your advice and experiences, it's made me feel a lot less alone with this. :hugs:

Since I last posted it's been a bit of a mad week, but with progress!

I spent ages reading and re-reading the coping section on this website and trying to practise my breathing (I've realised I'm a chest breather) which has helped massively.

Anyway, about the progress. On Wednesday I took the tube one stop which felt hideous, but because in my head I knew it was literally 2 minutes, I focused on that thought alone. THEN I got on a train, which again felt hideous, but it's a relatively short journey of 20 minutes. The train was air conditioned which was wonderfully comforting, as when I panic I become overwhelmingly hot. I sat near a bathroom and listened to really catchy songs that I like (like Lady Gaga-Born This Way.) I found that by listening to a really catchy song, I could focus on the words easily, rather than my own panicky thoughts.

THEN I had to get in a car to get to the Doctors, which was fine as I'm okay in cars. Getting to the doctors and knowing I HAD to get there gave me incentive to push through the feelings and fear and just do it. Someone told me the other day that "I'm old enough and wise enough now to know that if I fall ill on the tube, someone, someone will help. So if I fall ill, so be it." I found that a comforting reminder of humanity. I've found that getting onto a carriage where I can see adults who 'look' nice, gives me comfort too that someone will help if I need it.

Since then, I have got on the tube one stop each day to the train station, then getting a train, then getting a cab. Though the cabs are a little costly, as it's a short term measure I felt it was worth it to just get me to work and feel a little better about myself. Taking each bit of the journey in steps has helped wonderfully too: Tube 1 stop. Train 25 minutes. Cab 15 minutes. After each step I felt better and happier that I was progressing through them and ticking them off. I also psyched myself up for each stage, I sat at the station for 10-15 minutes easily every morning just mentally gearing myself to get on the tube. Likewise, on the way home, we let a few trains pass, then got on one that I felt happy with.

What I'm really proud of however, is I have got the tube back home (which takes around 25-30 minutes) and managed to stay on all the way and not get off, or feel too horrendous for 3 days in a row :D

I put that down to my best friend talking animatedly to me the ENTIRE journey, asking me questions and holding eye contact constantly. The eye contact is essential, otherwise my thoughts wander to the fear.

I'm sorry for this essay of a post :homy:

To sum up my experiences of finding a coping mechanisms that works for me:

1. Listen to catchy music.
2. Talk to someone interesting and maintain eye contact.
3. Learn to abdominally breathe; also I found when my breathing when short and fast, that forcing a yawn REALLY helped and re-balanced the pattern.
4. Carry soda water and chocolate as 'back up'
5. Get a good nights sleep and eat breakfast, even if it's just a piece of bread.
6. Ease yourself into it and do things in steps.

I still haven't got the tube all the way back into work YET, but I plan an attempt next week. Instead of getting a cab from the station, I'm getting on the tube with my friend which'll take about 10 minutes.

Once I'm happy with that I'm going to try going the whole way.

I have another appointment with the doctors on Monday, where I plan to ask about CBT and be referred, as I don't think I'm all the way there yet.

x

TheRed
05-08-11, 19:03
Hi there!

I work in outer London and drive there but occassionally I have to go into central London to the Head Officer via train and Tube which terrifies me!

I had a migraine with Aura last year and ended up loosing my vision on the tube train, telling the person beside me that I couldn't see and she just shrugged. I ended up panicking and getting off the train, running up the escalators and going into the workers only office where I sat for 15 minutes when my vision was returning. I thought I had a brain tumour I was that scared but it turns out it was a migraine with aura that I suffered instead.

Ever since, I have been terrified of the tube. I still went on and did it but now something has happened me that my fears have increased dramatically. I have been so busy these past few months that I have not been into head office and I think this has a big part to play with my increased fear of the tube. I think you definitely need to keep up going, even if it is in small steps at a time. I made an excuse to my employer today for not going into head office and I'm now working in my office that I drive to. I really wish I did not have this fear but I know avoidance plays a key role in keeping the anxiety and fear in my system. I unconciously avoided it at the beginning of summer when I was really busy at work but I am now purposely avoiding it as I am afraid of getting the tube. It is easy for me to sit here and type that but this morning the last thing I could think of was getting the tube.

My advice would be not to cycle to work as that is still avoiding the situation. Maybe at the beginning, split your week up into 2 days of the tube and 3 days cycling? I have had a course of CBT to get over this fear and I know myself that I am avoiding the situation too much but sometimes I am so scared that I don't want to do it. We need to get over this and get out there! Maybe we should start a support group for people afraid of the tube? That would be cool!

Also, have you told you colleagues at work about your situation? I have not told head office about my fear but wondering if I should?

I hope you feel better soon and keep up the exposure. Crosswords or mobile phone games are a great coping strategy to distract yourself (CBT therapist doesn't think I should be doing that but if it keeps the panic at bay then why stop).

xx

I'm sorry to hear that woman didn't help you, perhaps she didn't know English? That's what I'd tell myself anyway and try on focus on that in any other time someone would be there for you :)

As work knew I was ill already from a bug, I've mostly put my absence down to that, which is true. I have also mentioned to my boss that I did have a panic attack on the tube as I wasn't feeling well and therefore had to come home again the one morning. Otherwise, we haven't really discussed it no.

I think if it came to it, I'd tell them and just explain the science behind it that my body had learned a trigger for the flight or fight response and I was working on re-wiring my head. If it's going to impact your job, then I would absolutely tell them, as I'm sure they'll find a solution for you, like a Skype chat instead maybe?

You can definitely get on it! I'd highly recommend taking someone with you who understands and can help. Also, I have learnt to ask the Tube staff for help and not be embarrassed. I have spoken to SO many of them in the last two weeks, even if it's just to say, "I feel really sick/dizzy, can I please sit with you for 5 minutes" they've never said no. One even joked "We get this all the time, you aren't the first and you certainly won't be the last."

When's your next trip scheduled?

x

milkcarton
05-08-11, 22:12
I might actually feel better after hearing you say that you have spoken openly to the Tube staff and that they are very supportive! I guess I don't like how busy it is and inpersonal. I have posted another topic about panic attacks vs London as I seem to be really unsettled here at the moment with my panics getting on the tube and also in busy places.

I have purposely told head office that I would go in twice next week as I felt optimistic and keep thinking that I have to keep up the exposure to help myself, wish me luck!! How about you? Have you gone back to work via the tube yet?

xx

MiniatureDisasters
06-08-11, 03:26
Well done Red you sound like you're doing really well. I have a similar thing with buses. I'd have a 45 minute bus journey into work which consisted of me panicking the entire the way there but I had no option but to stay on (though I kept telling myself I could get off).

You're definitely doing the right thing by keeping going - I rode out those panic attacks and though now they're not completely erradicated, I can look back on the knowledge that I've got through other journeys before if they come back, and in fact, my having done this so often means that the bus barely triggers them currently.

Brunette
08-08-11, 14:14
Hi TheRed,

My first panic attack was on the tube. I sought help from tube staff and they were fantastic. They called an ambulance, got my OH out of work to come and be with me and were generally wonderful, as were the paramedics.

It was the start of 4 months of hell, especially when travelling, but I did get over it and haven't had a panic attack anywhere for about 15 months now.

I tackled the problem from a basic requirement of never allowing myself to miss a day's work because of my anxiety. That was the bottom line. Having decided that, I then had to find a way to cope.

Some days I'd be easier on myself than others: I'd choose to get off the tube a few stops early in the morning or on hotter days I might take a route home that never went underground. Some days I'd put myself through a really hot, uncomfortable journey, underground and standing all the way just to prove that I could. Just mixing things up really helped.

Paradoxically, panic attacks can make us realise how brave we really are.

Louisemarie
17-11-14, 14:35
Hello,

My Name is Louise, I am 27 years old and I suffered from my first panic attack in July 2012 on the way to work on the Northern Line. The tube stopped in the tunnel as someone on the tube in front of us had pulled the emergency lever. We were stuck in the tunnel for about 10 minutes. I remember sitting down, a lady who was standing in front of me started sighing heavily and I must have taken this as a sign to be panicked - just started feeling so warm, my heart was racing in my chest, I felt out of breath and I thought I was having a heart attack...... I got off the train at Clapham North and just felt so relieved. Then realised how far under ground I actually was. Started thinking how about if it didn't move onto the next station, what if I couldn't get out. It was such an awful feeling, completely out of control. I started building it up in my head and avoided the tube like the plague for the next 6 months. I started CBT at the Priory in London (I have private health cover) in February 2013. Best thing I have ever done and for a while I was fine with the tube, well not 100%, would always want my boyfriend with me just as a security blanket.

Now its November 2014 and I have most definitely got a relapse. If the train stops (overground) on the way home I start to panic. What about if it stays and I can't get out, I start getting really flustered, clammy palms, racing heart. and I just cry!!! because I feel so out of control. Sometimes I wish I could see where we are as in sit with the driver - its like a control thing, just a comfort if I know where we are that we only have so far to go to the next station etc and that way I can calm myself down. Anyways; has anyone had similar experiences and have any advice? I am planning to go back to my doctor and have a refresher course in CBT, I feel I really need it. And go from there; see how it goes.

Louise