PDA

View Full Version : Going from Mirtazapine to Citalopram

RTBC123
02-08-11, 10:58
Hi all, I'm currently coming off Mirtazapine onto Citalopram as the doc thinks Citalopram might be better for instrusive thoughts and anxiety. Have just stopped taking any Mirtazapine (was tapering down and taking 10mg Cit) and am now on 20mg Cit for a week and feel dreadful, worse than ever. The doc says I should take diazepam as and when needed but I'm a bit wary of that although he says it should be OK if I only take 1-2 a day,

Looks like its normal to feel a bit worse when starting Cit, I'm just hoping to feel a bit better soon so was just looking for a bit of support in my current situation.

Ingenious
02-08-11, 20:20
Yes this can be complex because of the withdrawal effects of one, and the side effects of the other. I went the other way, from Cit to Mirt, and was a bit all over the place for a little while. The only thing I can say really is it doesn't seem uncommon here for people to feel worse before they get better, so you should just aim to take each day at a time and be kind on yourself - this is a major medication change. However as time goes on you should start to feel better day by day as the side effects wear off.

RTBC123
09-08-11, 16:11
Well I'm now nearly 3 weeks on Cit, 1 week at 10mg and two weeks at 20mg, am still feeling very down and anxious especially in morning (normally it gets better mid afternoon and evening thankfully). Am loath to use Diazepam every day. I take the Cit in the morning, might it be better to take at night to ward off the morning blues ?

I think I felt better on the Mirt but I don't suppose its worth going back now....

oldtime
10-08-11, 13:35
I take cit and mirt in combination 15mg Mirt / 20mg Cit. They work really well together. Cit can take months to start working, its a really slow acting drug. I don't think taking it at night will make much difference as it has a long half life the dose in your body is quite constant throughout the day.

RTBC123
12-08-11, 09:39
My doctor doesn't seem to think Mirt and Cit can be taken together, did you get that prescription from your GP ?

oldtime
12-08-11, 10:47
Yes, he said that they work well together.

RTBC123
12-08-11, 11:57
Hmm, well my doctor said no to that. The thing is I slept really well on Mirtazapine, now I'm getting insomnia so I'd like to try both if possible.

slowfish
17-08-11, 11:29
Hi RTBC123

I know exactly where you are at. I changed from Mirt to Cit in Feb/Mar this year and had a horrendous few weeks - I came off the Mirt really quickly. Was on 20mg Cit for a couple of month, then 30mg for a couple of months and upped to 40mg about 2 weeks ago. Back at work and feeling better but still not back to my old self.

Currently feeling very tired all the time, probably due to the poor sleep / insomnia that has never really gone away. Hopefully it will soon. Like you, I slept really well on Mirtazapine.

I'm sure we'll get there one day.

Yorkman
17-08-11, 13:51
I take cit at night and get the morning blues still. Been on 20mg for 17 days so far.
I was thinking of trying it in the mornings , but it probably won't make a difference.
Yesterday morning I felt as bad as i ever have done! Just a shame it's so slow acting. I don't think I can wait 2 month and still feel like this.