PDA

View Full Version : What did I just experience? SUDDEN /chest/stomach pains made me double up.

CorneliusRuperTravis
03-08-11, 17:05
Hello again, I know I have already posted a thread today on something hopefully unrelated, but I just had an absolutely awful experience and I can only hope that somebody can reassure me what the hell just happened.

I had been sitting at my kitchen table for a while, on my laptop, when I decided to get up to go make a drink. I got half way across the room when I suddenly had an uproar of pain right in the middle of my chest. It's hard to describe but it felt like a VERY painful tight cramp just below my ribcage (past the breastbone to where the chest starts getting soft).

It seemed to start in my chest and and then another pain started it's way downwards to my lower stomach, and then it seemed to move back up again. Never once relieving the pressure on my chest.

The pain had me doubling up and it hurt every time I tried to draw breath, which left me feeling quite winded. It probably lasted about 20 seconds in all, but it seemed to last MUCH longer and my heart was pounding like crazy. I honestly thought I was just going to collapse right then and there.

What on Earth happened to me? This isn't the first time this has happened, it actually happened for the first time a few weeks ago, late at night in the bathroom. Exact same thing, the doubling up, the pain, the left feeling winded.

I'm 19 years old, male. I would consider myself fairly healthy - at least I've never had any serious medical issues before. I suppose that's exactly way I feel like any day now my number will come up and I just collapse due to some sudden trauma.

But this was something else. I'm completely shaken by this. Somebody please? :(

kibbutz83
03-08-11, 17:13
Hi, sounds like wind... the way you explained it moving up and down reminds me of the terrible wind pains I used to get when I was younger :( It sometimes felt as though my stomach was being ripped in two. Always happened late at night with me too! Just try your best to relax your whole body, and breathe steadily till it passes :)

kibbutz83
03-08-11, 17:15
ps I remember being doubled up on the floor thinking I was at death's door :( That was nearly 20 years ago :)

CorneliusRuperTravis
03-08-11, 17:28
Ah, I would never have imagined that trapped wind could be so painful! That was absolutely horrifying, if I didn't know better I would have sworn I just had a heart attack or something ^_^

Do you know if these sorts of things can just happen from time to time, or can it become a chronic problem? As i said it's only been the second time it's happened but you speak as if you had them frequently. I tend to get acid reflux quite frequently, often made worse with certain foods (given up eating any kind of fast food because of it).

tag
03-08-11, 17:53
Sounds very much like trapped wind to me & if you suffer from reflux you're certainly going to be more prone to gaseousness such as you seem to have described.

I can very well remember being kept awake at night as a child/youth by excruciating wind pain, very much like Kibbutz83 describes and the only answer was a hot water bottle on the the stomach & sucking extra strong mints until it abated.

Sounds like you're doing the right thing in giving up junk food, even for a while. I'm currently experiencing a lot of trouble with acid/indigestion at the moment and am having to re-appraise my diet significantly too.

Best of luck - from the sounds of it, it's most likely wind. :)

s11fyx
03-08-11, 17:54
trapped wind is one of the most painful things ever my friend was actually rushed to hosipatl and it was just trapped wind. pepper mint tea helps if you drink it every day and rennies do windese chews there fab and a hot drink or warm bath. x

CorneliusRuperTravis
03-08-11, 18:25
Thanks guys. This has put my mind at rest, although I can't say I'm keen for it to ever happen again! I guess this just goes to show that it's not only middle-aged grey ladies who get this problem, like the adverts always imply! :D Haha, I appreciate your words. Much love x

s11fyx
03-08-11, 21:03
glad your feeling better dont wear tight waste bands if your sitting down that gives you the worst trapped wind ever lol x

Anxious_gal
03-08-11, 21:08
hey 4 times I have gotten awful pains in my back that had me lying on the floor, panting and trying to catch my breath, lasted maybe a few minutes.
So I totally understand why it scared you so much x
I get trapped wind really bad when I am on my period, I some times get sharp pains shooting up from my belly that make my whole body jump, other times I get cramp like sensations from the wind.
so yes wind can be unbearably painful at times.
It only happened the once but if it happened again I wound maybe mention it to your doctor next time your there.

I've seen people on the tv been taken to hospital only to find out it would indigestion!