PDA

View Full Version : Sore throat, diarrhea, possible decreased appetite. Medical attn?

lizamoran
03-08-11, 18:14
In the evening, three days ago, I had a sore throat. Especially hurt when I swallowed. Then, two days ago, I had diarrhea throughout the day (and it was pretty uncomfortable/painful while it was happening) and a very mild sore throat. Yesterday I had less frequent and non-painful weird stools, and serious nausea (which went away after I took a nap in the afternoon), and my throat still felt unusual. Today, my throat feels a bit weird and I don't feel totally up to par.

Perhaps most worringly, I think my appetite has been... less, recently. (Though I've not lost any weight at all).

Also, I've had three mysterious bruises this summer (one odd-looking, big, red one several weeks ago and two ordinary ones on my thigh this week) and my gums bled slightly the other night (though, admittedly, I was flossing for the first time in god-knows-how-long, so I'm less worried about this symptom).

I've also had a few bad headaches this summer despite my total lack of stress.

Do I have good reason to see my doctor? I'm leaving for college in less than a month, so I don't know whether I'd be able to get an appointment even if I tried. Of course what I'm worried about is leukemia (this apparent infection, bruising, lack of appetite, headaches...) but I'm not sure whether I'm being anxious or reasonable (and my parents feel very strongly that I'm being anxious, which is why I'm hesitant to call my doctor). Are there completely boring reasons for which I could be having diarrhea and a sore throat (and a slightly decreased appetite)?

UNRELATED to the aforementioned symptom set: anyone know anything about hearing static in one ear? I heard static in my left ear the other night; it kind of freaked me out, and I couldn't find any concrete explanation when I googled it.

lizamoran
04-08-11, 20:59
I'm sorry to bump this thread, but: I haven't eaten all day (it's 4pm) because I got my wisdom teeth out. I was slightly hungry before the surgery (at 1:30pm) and now, afterwards, I'm not hungry at all. Should I be worried?

miniholly
04-08-11, 23:56
Hello there,
I have the same thing its probably a bug that's going around not the nicest thing in the world I've had it for about a week now so try not to worry :)
and about the static in the ear, I've also had that it's quite odd but I've had it on and off for years so it's more than likely nothing sinister
Hope you feel better soon! x

lizamoran
05-08-11, 15:25
Thanks for the reply, miniholly!
Two other members of my family have now had the loose stools thing, so while I should feel bad for passing it on to them I just feel better (though I shouldn't: it's still, I guess, some sort of virus, and I've no reason to stop worrying about leukemia).

But the sore throat is really worrying me. It had gone away after a couple of days, but I just got my wisdom teeth out and now it hurts when I swallow. This is bad because I won't be able to differeniate between Sore Throat as A Potential Symptom of C and Sore Throat Courtesy of Wisdom Teeth Extraction. (EDIT: I just got a call from the oral surgeon, checking in on me, I asked about the sore throat, and she said it was not related to the extraction. Great. So now I just have a big, mysterious sore throat.)

Most worryingly of all, the appetite is still quite low. I don't think I'm going to the doctor at this point, but I'm still scared. I haven't felt hunger pangs in a while- not even yesterday, when I didn't eat until 6pm (because of the aforementioned extraction).