PDA

View Full Version : Neighbor Anxiety with dogs

adamaudio
03-08-11, 21:07
We have our bungalow tucked behind our neighbors house, and have to use a shared driveway, and they have yappy nasty dogs.

Now I don't let these bother me much, but have had issues with them in the past, so I now believe that they don't really care, but I have the anxiety of visitors that turn up to see us being barked at?

I don't really want to speak to the other property, as we have in the past and it has got heated.
But I always feel that as soon as someone turns up, the dogs go barking up to visitors, which to me seems embarrasing, (but not necessarily to visitors), but I can't seem to let it go..

Am I making too much out of this? Is there a simple quick way of stopping worrying about this issue?

suzy-sue
03-08-11, 21:50
I had years of problems with Neighbours dogs ..grrh :curse:.You have my sympathy .Their dogs should not be outside bothering you or your visitors .But should be in their back garden .You could get in touch with the Local Council and speak to the Dog warden or Enviromental Health department, if they continuously bark or cause you or your visitors problems .Dogs are not allowed to roam free .Even in a drive way . This sort of problem will make things difficult between neighbours .Some people are just plain selfish :lac:.After a long time of this sort of thing happening ,even the slightest noise will set you off .Try not to think too much about what the other people think ,They probably dont think anything of it .This is just making you feel very anxious and worry needlessly ..Can you put a new fence up or something so the dogs cant see you ? Id definately do something about it if they are causing you such distress .Take care and good luck Sue x

adamaudio
04-08-11, 15:54
Hi Suzy-Sue, Is this part correct about

"Dogs are not allowed to roam free .Even in a drive way"

I am pretty sure there was some recent law passed that outlined this, maybe January this year?

suzy-sue
04-08-11, 21:44
Hi ..If the dogs can get out from the driveway on to the street .It is a public offence .They could cause an accident .This carries a penalty of up to £1000 fine ..My neighbours did this and the Animal Health went round there and gave them a letter .They could also bite someone ,which means they could be put down and prosecuted .Im not sure when the law was changed .But these people think Laws dont apply to them .I will check all this out and get some more info if you would like me to .? Also my neighbours had another dog which used to growl everytime someone went past the wall ,it used to lean over it .The dog warden came round and told them to either keep the dog inside or build the wall higher so this could not happen .Otherwise they would recieve a summons .They subsequently built a higher wall .:D(6FT)..Sue

Tyke
05-08-11, 01:45
Yeah, this would drive me nuts too. I am a bit phobic about dogs anyway, but to have to put up with this because of a shared driveway is sheer hell. Like suzy-Sue says, some people are just plain selfish. It always annoys me when dogs come hurtling up to me snarling aggressively and the owners calmly say, 'oh it's alright, it won't hurt you!' No, maybe not, but it's alright for them to fly around unleashed terrifying the crap out of people though!!! :lac: Oh and don't get me started on dog fouling. Our town is like a minefield, you constantly have to have your eyes downwards when out walking. Do these dogs foul the driveway or street at all? Fouling in the street is usually an offence.

Tyke

adamaudio
05-08-11, 10:19
Tyke, what did you do about your shared driveway? any solutions?

My g/f tries to deny anything is wrong, and even though they run up barking at her, and in the past she has been bitten! she just laughs, or talks to them!

I want to show that i'm p***ed off, so they do something about it. Any sign of weakness (from g/f) and they would think everything is fine and probably get another animal!!!

I want to try and get rid of them if i can by keeping up this issue but in a subtle way as we have had run ins before, and tbh they are as thick as sh*t!

suzy-sue
05-08-11, 14:00
If you want something done about it Adam there are people that can advise you at the Enviromental Health at your local council .Failing that Animal welfare at Trading Standards .Theres nothing you can do apart from doing it the legal way .People like that dont take any notice whatsoever .of other neighbours .All it will do is cause yourself more aggro and Anxiety .Most people will act when warned by a local authority .I dont understand why his dogs are roaming on shared property ? This could cause an accident surely ? Does he have a back fence to his garden or is it just open ? .Sounds like he would be made to get one if not .Like I said I could get you more info,due to family members job .But you failed to acknowledge my post ..:shrug:.Sue

adamaudio
05-08-11, 14:40
Hi Sue - sorry for not acknowledging, thats my fault im sorry...

Yes more info would be good - thank you.

Can't put any fence up im afraid due to access to properties. The neighbors aren't that bad in themselves, but just annoying as in they don't acknoweldge it, so its hard to bring up the issue as they aren't half as bad as some people could be!

So on that basis, if i did go to the council, Enviromental Health etc, and they sent a letter (or even the RSPCA) it would get their backs up and start a feud..

I suppose i'm trying to do it gracefully and let them know im not happy, but doesn't help that g/f isnt that bothered..:mad: