PDA

View Full Version : could this be the citalopram?

tinkerbelle84
04-08-11, 03:14
Hi I posted an earlier thread about my health anxiety.

I took 2mg of diazapam before bed and yet again i have woke up exactly two hours later.this has been going on from the first day of taking citalopram 20mg.don't know how much longer i can go on.thing is I have taken cit in past and never suffered with insomnia,but is it possible for that to happen?

My go has suggested i stop the citalopram and start mirtazapine,what does anyone think?I'm seriously worried and stressed about my lack of sleep......

X

lucy devine
04-08-11, 03:23
Hiya,
I'm not on citalopram myself but from reading the forums, a possible side effect could be disturbances in sleep pattern. I understand that lack of sleep is worrying you...it's again another cycle of lack of sleep causes increased anxiety which again causes further deprivation of sleep.
I think taking your doctors advice could be useful, you have nothing to lose really...changing your medication will allow you to see whether it is the citalopram causing the sleep disturbances...if you feel worse on the new drug, you can always change back to cit. Trying different medication is just a useful way of finding out which one works best for you =)
I hope you are able to sort the sleeping thing out =)
Lucy xxx

lucy devine
04-08-11, 03:24
Hiya,
I'm not on citalopram myself but from reading the forums, a possible side effect could be disturbances in sleep pattern. I understand that lack of sleep is worrying you...it's again another cycle of lack of sleep causes increased anxiety which again causes further deprivation of sleep.
I think taking your doctors advice could be useful, you have nothing to lose really...changing your medication will allow you to see whether it is the citalopram causing the sleep disturbances...if you feel worse on the new drug, you can always change back to cit. Trying different medication is just a useful way of finding out which one works best for you =)
I hope you are able to sort the sleeping thing out =)
Lucy xxx

samfarrell
04-08-11, 20:00
i took citalopram for 4 years and to be honest rarely noticed disturbed sleep infact i could have slept for england most of the time.

kt79
04-08-11, 21:21
I would talk to your gp. When i started citalopram I was given zopiclone a sleeping tablet for the first to weeks. After that I was fine :)