PDA

View Full Version : How long to take some effect please

Yorkman
04-08-11, 18:51
Hi,
Started citralopan yesterday , I'm on 20mg per day. Has anyone had any improvements in anxiety/symptoms fairly quickly??
Everyone seems to say weeks, and the way I'm feeling now I can't wait that long. I can't stand feeling like this. Just really low, panicky upset indecisive nonconfidence!! A shadow of my former self.

Male age 37

Thanks

nomorepanic
04-08-11, 19:06
It could be weeks I am afraid.

Have you read the Citalopram Survival Guide on here - it is a sticky in this forum.

Magic
04-08-11, 19:19
Hi Yorkman
Yes it may take up to a month untill they start to take effect, in fact you may feel worse before you feel any better
good luck and keep going

snowgoose
04-08-11, 19:29
Hi
it has taken a long time without you being aware probably to get you to this state Yorkman...............and it is going to be a while for you to recover .
patience is needed here for the meds to help you ..and they will .x

you will feel better but it may feel worse for while while the meds kick in ..talk to us here and read on the forum others experiences ....so not alone :hugs:

given the fact your work is making you so anxious ....I think you should ask for sick note for the first weeks to get you stabilised and less anxious.
then you can make decisions about other job . You have lost confidence because of the damn anxiety ..not that you cannot do it .........keep the option open if you can ...........sounds good idea to me . take care xx

Yorkman
07-08-11, 11:05
Thanks for replying, basically I have only been on them for 5 days now. I just want to know if you can feel them working eventually?? What to expect? Do they give you a lift etc, any advice is appreciated.
How did they make u feel personally.

Just asking as a friend I know had Prozac and said they were a happy pill as they felt happy all the time.

rachelb
07-08-11, 11:22
In my experience Citalopram is not a happy pill, its a calming pill. Took me about 6 months and increased dosage to 40mg before I began to feel like I was heading in the right direction. Very pleased my husband nagged me into keeping going as now feel able to handle life. Am able to wake up and think, right what shall I get done today, rather than how can I survive another day. After a year I am now reducing my dosage. V important to get an understanding GP to talk to. Also if you can get some CBT and/or counselling, that helps along side the meds.
Refering to your comment about feeling them work - its hard to feel them work, but those nearest to you will notice the difference. Also I used to get nightmares most nights, but now only a few per month. Keep a diary of how you feel, both physically and mentally which you can read back over time, to give yourself a boost as you hopefully see some improvements.

Good luck.

Yorkman
07-08-11, 12:12
Wonder if I should have asked fir Prozac??

Elen
07-08-11, 12:15
everyone is different yorkman, prozac has not worked for me and I am now changing onto cit.

Like everyone has said 5 days is nowhere near enough time to find out if they are going to work for you.

Have a look at the survival guide in the cit part of the forum as it gives you loads of info from the perspective of a sufferer.

Good luck

Elen

Yorkman
07-08-11, 14:22
Thanks, guess I Am just trying to rush things! Hope I improve soon though, it's not good.

snowgoose
07-08-11, 15:08
HI cit seems to be the one Gps favour for anxiety based illness .and is used for depression as well .

know how impatient you feel Yorkman ..........but to reiterate my previous post ...........this horrid feeling didnt happen over night ....it took a while for your body and mind to make you feel so bad . and it takes time to recover .
and you will honest .
time..... and hope your doc is seeing you again soon to see how you are doing . sometimes the meds need changing ......but it is too soon for that yet I think .
take care x

no_name
07-08-11, 17:38
You really have to give Citalopram at least 2-4 weeks, if you are anxious and nervous you can ask your Dr. to prescribe you some anxiolytic/sedative like Xanax for example. It works perfect while you are waiting for the AD to kick in, i myself was very satisfied with such combination in the first weeks of AD treatment.

Yorkman
07-08-11, 17:42
Thanks, I know myself I am trying to hurry things! I made a massive step admitting I needed help to the doctor. It was all too much for me.

Elen
07-08-11, 18:18
That first step is so hard to do so dont forget to give yourself a huge pat on the back for managing it.

Try and be patient and accept that it can take some time. It can work quicker if you are lucky so fingers crossed that it happens for you.

flippa
07-08-11, 18:24
Hi there
A year ago I was exactly where you are now - desperate for a sign that it was working and fearing it wouldn't. Just accept it will be difficult for a while - you will wonder why you are on Citalopram and feel it will never work, you will imagine that you will feel bad forever. You won't - you will start to feel better in a few weeks - the one thing is you will feel better.
I spent hours on this site looking for clues and help and it is reassuring but this is the first time I have been on it for months (and only because of a notification!)
Hang on in there - it WILL get better!
Thinking of you at this really hard time
Philippa

cathycrumble
10-08-11, 19:21
In my experience Citalopram is not a happy pill, its a calming pill. Took me about 6 months and increased dosage to 40mg before I began to feel like I was heading in the right direction. Very pleased my husband nagged me into keeping going as now feel able to handle life. Am able to wake up and think, right what shall I get done today, rather than how can I survive another day. After a year I am now reducing my dosage. V important to get an understanding GP to talk to. Also if you can get some CBT and/or counselling, that helps along side the meds.
Refering to your comment about feeling them work - its hard to feel them work, but those nearest to you will notice the difference. Also I used to get nightmares most nights, but now only a few per month. Keep a diary of how you feel, both physically and mentally which you can read back over time, to give yourself a boost as you hopefully see some improvements.

Good luck.

Hi rachel

so glad I read this, as i am on my 7th week now well been on 40mg for 3 weeks 3 days built up from 20mg. I was on cit last september and i started to feel myself around easter and i stupidly stopped them, I was back to square one. So started them again but its not been good and I am still not myself but you have said it took about 6 months before you started noticing a difference. So I am going to keep going and I am going to ask my gp for some cbt to help me along with taking the AD. I am glad i found someone who has answered my question. Thanksx

Cathy xx

oldtime
12-08-11, 14:06
For me it has been very slow to work 3-4 months, but now six months on I am feeling good again.

Yorkman
12-08-11, 14:57
thats a long time, i hope your getting there now though

nhad1984
13-08-11, 01:13
hi all
at first i started with 20mg of cipram
after 3 week chang to 40 mg
i think thats it work after a mounth or more
l hope to you a good life

zygfried
15-08-11, 22:20
Citalopram has definitely helped my anxiety levels, though I'm still probably depressed - for me an inevitable result after being so anxious for such a long time (dosage just increased from 40mg to 50mg). It takes a while to kick in but it's worth seeing if it does help. I was on prozac before and although I thought it was quite good at the time in reality I had terrible insomnia with it. Now I sleep well. Which is a big relief! Only major side effect I've experienced is constipation which is not good!! on the plus side I eat more fruit and veg than ever before..Now just hoping the depression will lift more.

Yorkman
16-08-11, 01:15
Thanks,
Well I've bee on 20mg for 14 days now. Still quite anxious and nervy/panicky in a morning.
I was like this anyway before the cit.
I'm at the doctors on Friday afternoon and I'm gonna see if I can try 30mg???
Maybe the doc will say no as it's still early days I guess.