PDA

View Full Version : Having panic attack, horrible head sensations

sleepy1
04-08-11, 20:31
Hi everyone.

I have just had/ am still slightly having a panic attack, I think the worst is over now but I had been doing so well.

I have been getting headaches, head rushes, numb head, pressurized head, heat rushes to the head, stabbing pains or "head zaps" as they say, although not happening constantly I get quite a number of these each day, more in the past 2-3 days.

I just had horrible pressurized head that didn't go away I must have provoked something, ended up having a panic attack and all I could think of was - my head is going to explode, i'm about to die right here, oh no i've got a brain tumor, what if this, what if that.

I'm still very anxious as it is still there. Not painful, I am just aware it is feeling numb and pressurized.

I also have had issues with my eyes in the past week or two, it feels like they are about to roll back, I all of a sudden get light sensitive, and I feel like I am honestly going to collapse and have a fit. I am so scared of this happening.

Tried everything to distract myself, got rid of most of the panic but now I keep getting the butterflies every time I think a negative thought.

HOW CAN ONE NOT THINK ANYTHING NEGATIVE EVER? Oh my, I managed 24 years of it and now ONE negative thought and it does this to me.

Has anyone had these head sensations? Ive seen some have had similar on the board, or one or two of, but all of them? And the eye thing? That is really concerning me. I've had an eye test, I've also had the doc shine a torch into my eyes and they say everything is fine. I haven't had an MRI scan so I am concerned and wonder if I should ask for one, or would this do more harm than good?

xx

sleepy1
04-08-11, 20:38
I should also mention that when I managed to achieve a little calm, I had to rush to the toilet with terrible diarrhea, I also then had incredibly dry feeling between my teeth and upper lip which freaked me out even more.

Cat
05-08-11, 17:07
Hiya i get stomach upsets too it makes it difficult when you're out in a car or something, you panic and then really need the loo. Its makes the panic 10 times worse and then the next time you oanic before you even get in the car incase it happens again.

ankietyjoe
07-08-11, 16:59
I get these kind of symptoms pretty regularly.

I tend to get a sharp pain behind my right eye (similar to a migraine) which radiates down the right side of the back of my neck. This is currently combined with a pretty constant but varying dizziness and changeable tinnitus. The head zaps come and go but there's always a sensation of derealisation that makes it tricky to stay calm with.

That's the key though, staying calm.

You might find that your shoulders and neck are very tense, which can pinch nerves all along the upper spine and up into the sides of your head. They can also squeeze on the ear canals which will greatly increase dizziness.

I ended up in A&E about a month ago after the mother of all dizzy spells and all the ECG, bloods and other tests came back fine. I must stress that's the only time i've ever called an ambulance since the first panic attack I had about 5 years ago, just to stress how bad that one was, and there was still nothing wrong with me!

Just check in with your GP though, even if it's just to keep him/her aware of the current symptoms. There's a 99.9% chance it's anxiety related though.

Try not to worry about it too much (advice I struggle to accept on a daily basis! :blush:)

sleepy1
07-08-11, 18:23
Thanks for that. It is difficult to stay calm, I do tell myself quite often how irrational I'm being but when you're panicking it doesn't seem to help ease the fear!

I'm regularly at the doctors, they keep assuring me it's all panic related. It may well be how tense I am which isn't helping me. And yet, until I've had a panic attack, I don't realise I was tense or stressed?!

I can relate with you about the ambulance. The panic attack which set all of the other ones off and gave me crippling anxiety happened to be when I was driving on the motorway. I pulled onto the hard shoulder and had the mother of all panic attacks. I thought I was having a heart attack and called 999. I was in such a state and thinking the ambulance wouldn't reach me in time. Since that day I too have had the ECG twice and various blood tests, all seems fine.

Who knew anxiety would take so long to recover from?

rosie777
08-08-11, 09:40
hello guy/girls..reading the story from sleepy, i too have head pressures and horrible sensations in my head, i have been dreadfully unwell for years but worse since 2007 when i had lightheadedness , dizziness, nausea, weight loss, and rushes of adrenaline that would go thru my body especially at night , i couldnt switch off to relax, had cronic low back ache, my head would feel like it was bursting thru so much internal ppresure i had trembling and muscle and nerve twitching all over my body.... no0one knew or wanted to find out, they just said 'anxiety and depression' and psychiatrist visit.... take the pills pills pills, they made me worse it took one year and the same crash happened in 2008 an daagin in 2010 and i am still suffering this last year has been a total awful ordeal, one that thought i was going to pop my clogs with these adrenaline rushes , then a feeling of my head filling up until it could burst, trembling, twitching in m y limbs- then a sinking feeling like coming down on a roller coaster...i researched and found a forum of the inner trembling/external trembling and all the girls were the simialiar... i ask you have you had any adrenal/thyroid tests done? i have adrenal saliva tests which returned for years with hypo active adrenals, low cortisol but nhs wont accept it, i have many endocrine probs and i think that is where the resolve lies becos panic itself is involved with stress hormones which come from adrenal glands, but its a minefield to get any one to listen. rosie777

sleepy1
11-08-11, 09:44
Hiya

No I haven't had any of these tests done. I've had another blood test yesterday so waiting on results, they just think im deficient in things.

It is really hard to get people to listen. I doubt my doctor would even test me for that at the moment. I feel like they know me as the hypochondriac there which doesn't help with confidence at all!

They do just put everything down to anxiety. But the feelings are so real and difficult to accept as just that. I also get twitching which has got a little more obvious than before. I got so wound up yesterday my mum suggested hypnotherapy. I might have to give it ago. I can't tell if its the pills that make me like this or if its actually me now. Its all so confusing.

daniellen
26-08-11, 10:21
Hiya I suffer from everything the same as you :( !!! I'm 20 an jus been diagnosed with stress and anxiety!!
This all started for me with just a dizzy spell then everything else come on!! Iv been having bad panic attacks for about 2 years so bad that iv xalled ambulances an had ecgs that where all fine but now this is happening to me!!
It scares me so much to the point I'm making my self ill wit worry!! Iv been to casualty several times and my docters an the opticians all who said its stress an anxiety
Iv also had black spots in my vision an some ear popping!! My eye test was fine an my blood test but I haven't had a head scan but I have had neurological tests that whwere all fine!
Every little pain or twitch makes me go in to panic mode as I think there is something wrong with my head
My dr has just given me some beeta blockers to try and I'm starting counselling soon, how do you all deal with this? An what medication are you on? I'm trying to keep positive as I want it to go away
But its always at the back of my mind :( xx

ineszc
16-05-17, 20:59
This post is so important for me. I'd like to know what happened to everyone who feel the same 'brain sensations' + panic as I do.

I feel everyday like sharp knives passing trough my brain and that makes me panic and freak out completly, I've been to the hospital two times because of non stopping death panic.

I've also seen psychiatrists, neurologists, general doctors, and I'm about to go today with an otolaryngologist because I also present tinnitus...

So far no medication has helped me much, I always end up having side effects like tinnitus, migraines, and such, which lead me to more panic.

I just want to know everything is going to be okay.
My fears are exactly the same described by the post opener.

Thanks for your attention. <3

Jayfly09
28-06-17, 08:14
Hello!

I've always just been a guest reader but this post got me to register as I just had to comment. I totally understand what you're saying about the feeling your eyes might roll back and you'll fall into a fit or a seizure. I feel like I'm not in control of my body anymore, however my mind is fully intact and I know I'm about to have a seizure but there is absolutely nothing I can do to stop it. I feel locked in, and completely helpless. Losing control like that makes me panic even more, which confirms my "rational" irrational thoughts of this being more than a panic attack. However I have experienced it hundreds of times, had all of the typical tests, and I haven't died yet haha. But I've never seen or heard anyone describe that before and everyone always looked at me like I was nuts so it's nice to know there's someone else. Anxiety is lonely

helenclaire
28-06-17, 12:09
Hi,
My panic centres around my head as well. Dizziness/off balance feeling and tinnitus. My neck always feels stiff and achy at the back as well and all of this causes me to panic so I'm constantly getting adrenalin rushes as well. Now I've started getting a twitch in my neck which has convinced me I have a brain tumour or something serious. I find it hard to believe anxiety can make me feel this bad.

roseanxiety
29-06-17, 18:24
I also get head rushes and a feeling like my head will explode. Once I realized it was panic (they would come out of nowhere when I wasn't feeling particularly nervous or anxious) I started to talk myself through them and they became less frequent . I came to this forum to describe them and it helped to hear that other people were having this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COSSIE
30-06-17, 01:59
I get head rushes too, like a feeling like your not really there, horrible