PDA

View Full Version : NHS psychotherapist issue!

Sootica
05-08-11, 17:04
Hi there - I waited a year for NHS psychotherapy, I am on benefits and can't afford private psychotherapy, I have had other therapy before, but the lady I am seeing now on the NHS is just not someone I feel comfortable with. It's the type of therapy where I just sit and talk about whatever I want to talk about - and she basically may sometimes make an observation or ask a question (not very much, and usually something rather obvious and not enlightening). I have tried to talk the problem over with her a few times and say I would like a bit more in put and observation, but we never get anywhere, I understand it is good for me to make my own boundaries and not rely on being told how to behave, but I feel she's just not interested and is going through the motions rather than it being a clever tactic to enable personal growth. I have been to a few therapists before and councellors (either short prescriptions or low cost and some very short lived private sessions where I ran out of cash) but this therapist has got to be about the 2nd worst i've had. I don't dislike her particularly (although I don't think she is that keen on me) I just feel like I may as well sit and talk to a fridge! Having tried to improve matters by discussing all this with her (obviously, politely, and I didn't mention the fridge analogy) I have got nowhere. I tried to ask someone higher up about changing therapist/to a different type of therapy and was told I'd have to go back on the waiting list - basically another year long wait......
Is there any one out there in this position? - I really want to make the therapy work (It's a 9 month weekly prescription) and I really am trying, it's been about 3 months) but I feel I can't talk to her about some issues either due to confidentiality or as I just don't feel she relates (which we've also discussed and made 0 progress).
Is there any way the NHS is obliged to not put me back on a waiting list or provide an alternative, or am I really stuck? I feel if I give up I will not get helped again, but at the moment therapy is just stressing me out more and costing me travel money.
The waiting list at my local MIND for counselling is closed it is so over subscribed and I really am too poor to afford even low cost therapy..... any advice welcome,
Sooty

InsomniaGirl
12-09-11, 19:02
Unfortunately I don't think they put enough money into mental health with the NHS (especially since cuts)- in fact I am wondering how you managed to get on the waiting list for a talking therapy at all? I've asked before to go on a waiting list when I've been completely desparate and they just say no. It seems to me that unless you're actually psychotic or attempt suicide, all you can get is 6 sessions of CBT - even if your anxiety/depression is completely debilitating. All I can think of to help is, instead of asking for more input generally, think of specific questions you want to ask her about your condition before each session. Hope it improves.