PDA

View Full Version : Are these all OCD symptoms?

thekat1979
05-08-11, 21:00
I'm very new here, and reading through some of the posts here I just wanted to list some of my thoughts that run through my head...my current diagnosis is depression, health anxiety, generalised anxiety and pure OCD...just wondering what is attributable to what disorder if you know what I mean...?

Anyway, and I'm sorry if any of this sounds odd, but:

- 'Feeling' a nuclear wave rushing over me (and that pointing into the sky will cause a nuclear explosion);
- Difficult to resist urge to jump in front of car to 'see what it feels like';
- Thinking i am going to do something horrible to a family member or friend;
- Thinking I am going to committ a sex act with a friend or family member;
- Thinking people are talking about me
- Thinking that EVERY twitch and twinge in my body is a heart attack/blood clot/brain tumour etc
- Difficult to resist urge to do odd things to oteher people - like, pulling their hair bobble out, or pulling the hat off the personssat in front of me on the bus;
- Spending all my time thinking I have died and nobody has told me - when i see flowers laid I think they are there for me and that I just haven't been told I'm dead yet;
- a 'Final Desitnation' thing going on all the time where I can see everuthing that can go wrong happening then find myself back at the point just before then scared to move, e.g. standing at a road crossing with my guide dog i can see the dog's head being hit by a car dozens of time, actually see it not just think it, then i'm not sure if it has happened or not, then i realise it hasn't, YET, so have to decide to cross the road but am scared to in case I was foretelling what will happen;
- every ambulance that goes past, or fire engine etc, is because someone i know/love is inside it and is dead;
- not being able to let my partner out of my sight because if I do he will die and it will be my fault;
- thinking that EVERYONE hates me/doesn't care about me/wouldn't notice if I wasn't here any more;
- always have an 'i've done something wrong and upset someone' feeling going on;
- I keep thinking I am going to walk out of a shop with something I haven't paid for and have to make a concious effort to make sure I haven't picked anything up on the way around that I haven't paid for...or I get the irresistable urge to walk off with something if it is near the door and I am NOT that person at all :-(

I am sure there are loads more but I'm upsetting myself so will just get these out for now and see what you guys and gals think.

I feel like a complete FREAK...I can't hold down a job partly due to blindness but also due to the fact that I cannot get out and about on my own without it being too much for me if I do it on my own more than once in a week and even then it is JUST to go out, get done what I have to then go home straight away. :-(

katykaty
05-08-11, 23:44
Hi, first of all welcome to NMP!

I suffer from GAD and find that a lot of things you've mentioned happen to me too! Like I'm always thinking about doing really drastic things just to see what would happen - like drive my car into a lamp post, run into traffic, spill a hot cup of tea over myself...I'd never do these things but its scary to think that my head is contemplating it. I also have urges to trip strangers up in the street or throw things at people passing - I seriously don't understand these urges as I'm usually a really quiet person who wouldn't want to attract attention or do wrong against anyone.

Oh and the stealing thing - I have this all the time! I constantly have the urge to grab things near the door and run, not sure if its linked to the "just to see what happens" thought process. The other day I was browsing through a card shop and picked up a very small charm with the full intention of paying, I was carrying my purse in the same hand and the longer I browsed round the shop the quicker I forgot about the charm in my hand. It wasn't until about 10 minutes later in another shop that I realised I had the charm in my hand. I had to leave the store as I became horrified that I may accidently or purposely take something else. I was too embarrassed to return the charm to the first shop and also worried I'd take something else.

Anxiety does some strange things!!

thekat1979
07-08-11, 22:12
Thank you for answering :-) I find it very stressful some of the thoughts I have, and very scary - they are the absolute opposite of the person I 'think' i am, but then I start thinking that what if the person I am really is this person who wants to steal, do mean things and jump in front of buses :-( I guess I don't really know who I am anymore...I've been ill with this nearly half my lifetime and most of the time I wasn't even an adult when I wasn't ill, so feel like the anxiety disorder 'is' me if that makes any sense?