PDA

View Full Version : So anxious over medication

lodzie
06-08-11, 00:23
I went to the doctor Thursday morning as all week my chest has been feeling tight and heavy and I wanted to be sure it was indeed just anxiety and not anything else. He agreed it's just anxiety, and prescribed me Propranolol (2 months worth, 40mg, 3 tablets a day). I've been using it since noon Thursday (so over 24 hours now) and my chest is still heavy. I think it's because I'm anxious about the medication; I keep thinking it's going to give me a heart attack or damage my heart or something. I know that's silly, but it just bothers me that it's linked to the heart and that area. The heaviness comes and goes, and often if I'm just sitting chatting to my mum or something, I feel fine. So I know it's all in my head. I've read others say it took only 20 minutes for the physical symptoms to go, but I'm struggling to convince myself the doctor isn't a fool who prescribed me medication that will kill me! Any help is appreciated. I'm trying breathing exercises but I'm just so panicked. I'm not sure if my chest will stop feeling so heavy once the medication kicks in or if I'm just -thinking- it's worse than it is and so have convinced myself my chest is heavy. I feel fine when I'm completely distracted by something so I know it's all in my head. I tried to sit and read a Lord of the Rings book and listen to some Elbow for distraction but it just got so bad I had to sign up to this site and hope for advice. I'm only 18 and feeling very silly :(
Thank you in advance,
Lauren x

Mirabelle
06-08-11, 00:30
Lodzie
You're not silly just anxious. The tablets will not damage your heart or cause any other damage. They will just stop the symptoms of anxiety.
You have got yourself very anxious and this takes time to go away and can leave you feeling unwell for several hours or days afterwards.
Your Dr has seen lots of people who feel like you do and knows what she is doing. Trust her and trust yourself to get over this.
Drink plenty of water eat well and rest. Don't listen to the nagging voice with all the worrying thoughts...just tell them 'No'.
I hope you feel better soon
X

lodzie
09-08-11, 16:00
Thank you for your reply, Mirabelle (and apologies for mine being so late - I wanted to give myself a few days to see if it improved!). I'm feeling much better about everything now, I even read your reply to myself a few times when it was giving me trouble sleeping the other night. So again, thank you! x