PDA

View Full Version : Hair dye reaction

duke246810
06-08-11, 17:27
I'm scared im having a reaction to a hair dye.

Ive dyed my hair LOADS before, but this time its EXTREMELY itchy at the bottom back of my head. I don't seem to recall using this hair dye but my sister said ive used this type before but i dont remember.

Do you think im having a reaction? Or if ive used hair dyes loads before is this just because its hair dye lol?

Or maybe it was a out of date one?

And plus my scalp is slightly itchy and sore before this but ive used them on my scalp before when its been itchy.

Im so worried ive still got it on and its not itching as much now, but im scared my vision has gone funny.

Also my sister used hairspray earlier and i still have the taste in my mouth from this morning, and im really scared about what it is.

debs71
06-08-11, 17:42
Hi,

I used to dye my hair all the time with packet dyes, before I got too grey and had to bite the bullet and get it done professionally! I also used to have funny sensations with dyes - like a hot, tingly feeling - and like you, I used to panic that I was reacting, but after a while it died down.

Try not to panic about it and play it by ear. Most dye reactions are pretty noticeable from the offset, and usually involve all over swelling of the face too - swollen face and eyes,etc.

Bear in mind the the chemicals in packets are much lower strength than hairdresser dyes, but they contain peroxide so your head may feel a bit itchy.

Keep an eye on things, see how it goes, but I am sure things will be fine. One thing I used to do was take an antihistamine before I coloured my hair, just in case I got itchy.

Try not to worry hun.xx:bighug1::bighug1:

duke246810
06-08-11, 17:46
Thankyou :)

This has really helped. :) Although it doesnt keep reacting afterwards does it? So once i wash it off there is no reaction possible right? My face isnt swelling i think so i guess its a good sign! :) Also the smell is extremely srtong and making me cough is that normal? xx

duke246810
06-08-11, 17:46
Also ive just eaten something and got hair dye in my mouth it wasnt lots just a little bit, is that ok? xx

Em.ma
06-08-11, 17:49
Hi. I heard somewere that hair dye reactions happen instaltny (severe ones happen straight away) u may be having a mild one which is fine- which is fine or u may just be thinking about it much causing the smytpms. as for hairspray (i hate the stuff makes my hair all crunchY) i used it yesterday morning though and im fine :) i got some in eye and mouth :O lol. x

duke246810
06-08-11, 17:50
But did the taste last for the whole day? and possibly even more than that? Eating or drinking doesnt make it go away. :( xx

Em.ma
06-08-11, 17:51
is it a mettalic taste? as once i got this with anxiety? and yes its normal x. I once got a tiny bit of mosuriser in mouth- lasted all day lol

duke246810
06-08-11, 17:53
Kind of but just tastes of hair spray. x

s11fyx
06-08-11, 18:11
im sure youll be fine if you really worried why not dye your hair with the hennas from lush there all natural so you would have a panic about being allergic

debs71
06-08-11, 18:17
Thankyou :)

This has really helped. :) Although it doesnt keep reacting afterwards does it? So once i wash it off there is no reaction possible right? My face isnt swelling i think so i guess its a good sign! :) Also the smell is extremely srtong and making me cough is that normal? xx

Yes, that is normal. I used to get a really strong smell as I used to dye my hair in my bedroom with tons of towels around! The room used to get quite smelly so I would open the windows and door wide to get a good air flow, which I believe is advisable when using peroxide/chemicals.

Once it is washed off, all should be fine, don't worry.:yesyes:

duke246810
06-08-11, 19:22
It didn't all wash out but ive washed for over half an hour. :(