PDA

View Full Version : Antibiotics and the pill

Lizziesaurus
06-08-11, 22:28
I've been prescribed amoxycillin for 5 days by my dentist for an infected wisdom tooth and I'm also currently on the pill Yasmin.

I was told and I've always known antibiotics can effect the pill from working properly but what sort of risk are we talking here?
Am I being stupid assuming it won't happen to me and all will be fine or am I going to find myself with a bun in the oven in a few weeks!? :huh:

nomorepanic
06-08-11, 22:37
I wouldn't risk unprotected sex to be honest.

macc noodle
06-08-11, 23:39
Yep you need to use condoms if having sex whilst taking antibiotics.

xx

jo61
07-08-11, 10:05
Be really careful is what I'd say!:hugs:

Lizziesaurus
07-08-11, 12:21
Hmm you see that's what the dentist said and what I've seen online yet I've seen other websites (yes I did use dr google!) that say only 2 now you have to be careful with, they begin with an r I think and everything else theres no proof of them interfering.

FriendlyBrunette1986
30-08-11, 08:43
Antibiotics and sex without contraception are the worst things 2 do! You should NEVER risk this!! Its not a wise idea, use condoms etc but dont use nothing. Antibiotics dont work as well with the pill and it could result in pregnancy very high chance!

disco2195
30-08-11, 09:24
The GMC and BMA have completed a recent study and found that antibiotics do not effect the way in which the pill works; except if you have diarrhoea or vomiting episodes. It is always wise to take precaution though as no pill is 100% effective. Any problems then have a chat to your pharmacist - go and free advice!

Lizziesaurus
30-08-11, 11:35
Thanks for all the replies. It's been 3 weeks since I finished my antibiotics and no bun in the oven. I've taken 3 bloody tests to make sure as I get so so paranoid as it is! :yesyes: