PDA

View Full Version : Heart worries im 17 :(

Johnny17
07-08-11, 13:56
From time to time I get a discomfort in my left chest (outter side), under the chest ect in that area, (sometimes on the other side but not as much).

I'm scared to have a heart problem as i'm only 17..I went to the doctors last month (July 5th) for a physical and I was put on the machine with the stickers or something to look at my heart, and he said it was fine same goes for my lungs as I have atsma. I read online it could be PCS where its a nerve being pitched around the chest area but I dont know :(..., i dont have a heart problems in my family that I know of my mom said we tend to live long and pass away old, even with 80% of my family who smokes 9i only live with my mom and we both dont smoke or in contact with smoke), i dont do drugs or anything, I used to weight lift and be cardio active but my anxiety crippled me from it. If someone could hel me it would mean alot.

lea1992
07-08-11, 14:01
your not going to have a heart problem at 17, im 19 and been thinking it for the last 2 years and apaz im really healthy but i still swear im going to die from something like it, i know its easy for me to say try not to think about it becasue i always think about stuff like it but try read a book or get your mind of it hope you feel better soon sorry im jnot much help as im more or less the same situation as you and im scared to death x

Gemma T
07-08-11, 14:02
sounds alot like the symptoms of anxiety. my chest pains were so bad i doubled over. i thought i was dying everyday. that was about 3 years ago now and i can assure you i am no poltergeist

your not even in a risk catergory. try and relax and dont give in by giving up what you love and enjoy x

Johnny17
07-08-11, 14:14
Thanks for the replies, I know it`s hard to try not to focus on scary symptoms like these and whats even worse im moving to the country in a week or two to a new school and everything T_T my mind is not as ease that their is`nt a hospital that close by...I know airlift with a helicopter is possible but still scares me..

janey1979
07-08-11, 14:16
hi so sorry to hear how your feeling i am new on this forum. I have had anxiety on and off for 10years and am currently suffering again and on prozac. I came across this site after a severe panic attack yesterday which really knocked me. My anxiety is heart related and started when i was 21 and came out of the blue i had my first episode of palpitations and literally thought i was dying not good when i also had a new baby to look after :weep:. Over the years i have had chest pains, palpiations etc i've had many tests (all normal) and still i worry all the time yesterdays attack was triggered with chest pain and cut short a lovely day with my daughter:weep:. I hope we can support each other through this horrible stage.
all the best
Janey

Gemma T
07-08-11, 14:20
It is easier said then done but it is doable.

Im sure you will find the help and support you need on this site. Everyone is so friendly and most have experinced the exact same thing x x x

ankietyjoe
07-08-11, 17:12
I had exactly the same thing when I was a teenager. It started when I was about 14 and continued until I was about 18. It then disappeared only to re-appear once in a blue moon every 3-4 years for a day or so.

I recently discovered there is a medical reason for it (pinched nerve as you say) but when I went to the docs with it 25 years ago it was put down to growing pains. I suspect that unsatisfactory (to me) answer is at least partially responsible for my current health anxiety, although only very partially.

My advice is that if the doc has said you're fine then believe him with every molecule in your body and get on with your life. :)

Johnny17
07-08-11, 17:43
Thanks for the replies everyone hearing that people went through this just a I am right now feels great and knowing it is probally nothing major. I miss the days where was worry free and just went with it instead of onn edge 24/7 checking pulse, keeping an eye on breathing ect all that...it's annoying I just wanna go have fun.

ankietyjoe
07-08-11, 17:51
Symptom checking is probably the worst thing to do, and it's really hard not to sometimes!

Best advice I can give you if you feel a twinge would be to just take a deep breath, DON'T check the symptoms and then tell yourself you're ok. It won't make the pains go away, but over time your concern and worry about them should disappear and if you think about it, it's the thoughts that are bothering you rather than the pain itself.

kinnygirl1
07-08-11, 20:11
Hi Johnny. I'm another one who worries about my heart despite and ecg and blood tests all normal. I focus on every little twinge and get obsessed thinking that its a heart attack or heart disease. Some great advice from the others re trying not focus on symptons and carry on with whatever you are doing at the time. That's what I am trying to do at the moment. It's really hard but I don't want to lose any more days to worrying about it. Lots of us are going through this with you if that helps. x