PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed about driving!

AmyJ
07-08-11, 16:53
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can give me advice on what to do about my driving situation. I passed 2 years ago and I was so afraid of crashing my fathers car he bought from me I ended up selling it and not driving I now rely on everyone around me to drive me everywhere and I want it to change but everytime I step into the car I panic and do stupid mistakes and get soo flustered that I wont drive it again for maybe 2 weeks or more. I've bought my own car now, insured it myself, paid for everything hoping it would give me the confidence that it is my car therefor what ever happens my father won't be mad, but I can't seem to just get in the car and drive. I will go for a short spin with my bf every now and then but people tell me go on your own but im so scared. I don't know whether to just sell it again but then i feel so tied down.
I would really appreciate the help
Amy x

Gemma T
07-08-11, 17:01
D

Megan73
07-08-11, 18:34
Hi Amy

I think the problem here is you are leaving it too long inbetween driving sessions, it would be better to take short 10 min trips every day than one long trip every 2 weeks. You have to go every day regardless of how you feel. If it means going with your bf at the moment so be it but make sure he doesn't tell you how to drive, unless in danger. Your confidence will soon build, just think of the benefits rather than the negatives and go for it.

Good luck

Megan

evil monkey
07-08-11, 18:45
good on you for not driving if you're not sure.

Have you got an old airfield or large car park/industrial estate or something like that nearby. where you can just drive around and do donuts to get you confident with how the car responds and feels.

ankietyjoe
07-08-11, 19:04
Maybe try setting yourself small goals when driving yourself. Perhaps just set yourself a goal of driving to the end of the road every day for a week, with somebody you trust waiting for you at the end? If you feel confident you could drive back again as well.

Slowly build up the distance and time you spend in the car alone over a prolonged period of time, but pushing yourself as you feel comfortable doing so. There's no rush :)

AmyJ
07-08-11, 19:42
Thanks for the replies, you're totally right I should do small goals everyday that should make me more confident. Thank you