PDA

View Full Version : Back to work?

sleepy1
08-08-11, 00:21
Hey guys

I have been off work now for 4 weeks due to my anxiety and panic attacks. My sick note for the last week runs out tomorrow so I am due to go back to work then.

I don't feel ready but I feel everyone is pressuring me to do so because I "seem ok".

I do get hyper in the evenings, being more myself again, but I think this is the citalopram kicking in. I do still feel incredibly unfortable in my own skin most of the time and am scared that going back to work, in a stressful environment is going to put me back to square one.

Currently, if I have a stressful conversation or dissagreement with a family member, the anxiety becomes extreme and I just know I wil have to fight off a panic attack that night. I actually can't cope with any stress anymore.

What should I do? Will work think I'm taking the piss? I ended up in an ambulance at work 2 months ago with the panic attack that triggered every single one since, thinking i was having a heart attack. I plodded on, but since a couple of weeks later a young family member died, i've developed a fear of death and become even more of a hypochondriact and although I can act happy at moments in the day, I can't focus on anything and can't get my point accross to family that i'm not ready to return.

I feel I have too much weight on my shoulders. Doing CBT, read every book there is in the library on anxiety, know I should go back to make it look good but worry I can't cope.

Any advice?

HarvestMoon
08-08-11, 09:53
Could you not do a structured return to work? Maybe part-time, flexible hours etc? Depending what your job is perhaps it might also be possible to take certain responsibilities away from you until your ready to do them again. You could discuss this with your GP first and he/she could recommend to your employer.

Don't go back unless your absolutely ready!

Good luck.

Yorkman
08-08-11, 10:11
Sounds like you're not ready, have another 2 weeks off and see how you feel. Only you will know when you're ready. Don't put the extra pressure on yourself.

sleepy1
08-08-11, 13:05
Thanks for the advice.

I have got another 2 weeks off, but I think I will try to ease myself back to work slowly during this time. Lets hope it works!