PDA

View Full Version : Mirtazapine to Sertraline, very scared.

rocklover
08-08-11, 18:03
I was put on Mirtazapine 6 weeks ago as I had a horrible reaction to Citalopram despite using it successfully 2 years ago. The Mirtazapine has not worked unfortunately, so I have been prescribed sertraline.

I am absolutely dreading the side effects of the Sertraline (plus the possible withdrawal effects from the Mirtazapine), even though the dr said it is usually one of the better tolerated SSRIs. However, reading this forum, that doesn't seem to be the case and I'm completely terrified of changing to it. I am being started on half a 25mg tablet along with tapering my Mirt down to 15mg, I have to do this for a week, then stop the Mirt altogether and take the full 25mg tablet of Sertraline.

My main anxiety symptoms are an upset stomach and constant nausea, so I am expecting these to get even worse and I'm not sure how I'll cope. I am also getting panic attacks quite often, usually in the morning and I know that SSRIs can make anxiety worse initially. Please can anyone let me know of good experiences on this drug to give me some encouragement as I am very scared.

Thanks.

no_name
08-08-11, 18:57
SSRIs really can make you feel worse initially but it is something you shouldn't be afraid of, just hang on while things calm down. Of course, you can have very few side effects (if you get any at all, fingers crossed) so think positively for the new medicine and it will help you. I myself am also cross-tapering but my case is citalopram->sertraline. I am now on day 3 (every two days adding 25mg of certraline) and feel some SEs (nervousness and stiffness) but just for the first couple of hours after taking the pills...

rocklover
09-08-11, 13:25
Thanks for your reply and reassurance. I still haven't started the Sertraline yet as I would prefer more advice on how to cross taper, the dr admitted she wasn't sure.

I am still scared stiff of the side effects, I already have stomach upsets and all day nausea that I can barely cope with, the thought of that getting worse is terrifying.

Ingenious
09-08-11, 18:56
Rocklover a friend of mine has made the change from Citalopram to Sertraline and although it's not the same switch as you are doing, she's doing a lot better now. I can't remember what she said about the tapering, I think the switchover was only done in a week or so, she had a rough week at the start but was told just to keep with it and she did then start to improve. I saw her a few days ago and is starting to feel a lot brighter and has more motivation and energy to do things. The only side effects I remember her mentioning were mood related, she didn't say she felt sick at all (however she never had any side effects from Citalopram either).

The only encouragement I can give you is this. It's trail and error finding the right medication that is the "key" to fixing us. Some are lucky and get the right one to start with, others like us have to try several before we get there. But you WILL get there!

Tyke
10-08-11, 05:23
Hi Rocklover. I've never had to cross taper, but I have done really well on Sertraline. The first four weeks were tough for me, but all the side effects disappeared quickly after that and I started to feel so much better. I can well recomend it as a very effective treatment for anxiety and depression problems.

Tyke :)

Jason182
11-08-11, 21:51
Hi there, I currently take Mirtazapine 45mg and sertraline 100mg both together, their mechanism of action is so different there is no danger taking the 2 together, In my opinion Mirtrazapine is a glorified antihistamine and ineffective alone! I began using it for sleep problems but it does nothing for anxiety. I have tried numerous combinations with the mirtazapine and i'm happy to share my experiences with you guys if it helps! take care