PDA

View Full Version : Very high blood pressure! Scared!

LucyLiz
08-08-11, 19:13
Hi guys, I've had a really good few days but still this annoying left arm and chest pain. ECG came back normal. Well today I decided to buy a home bp monitor just invade my bp wasn't dangerously high and causing my pain. Basically I was chugged with my first reading of 128/78 because since my anxiety it's normally been 130/90+ well I wasn't going to take it again but my daughter was curious as to how it worked so I went to show her... This tone my reading was 138/106!!!! I can't believe it and now terrified I'm going to have a stroke! What should I do?? I'm only 26 :-( x

crystal17
08-08-11, 19:18
Oh god those home monitors are a nightmare, I've got one and its so temperamental. The readings vary from day to day and when they are normal they are fine but then sometimes they are ridiculous - I took it a few weeks ago and its said 200/150!!
Dont know how seriously to take them, and how accurate they really are.

Best thing to do it just go and have a doctor take it, at least their equipment is reliable!

pablo22
08-08-11, 19:21
my experience with them --- dont even bother. seriously, they just cause more anxiety:hugs:

LucyLiz
08-08-11, 19:25
I know. It was so stupid but I've never seen over 100 before. It's not going to come down now either! Bugger.

nomorepanic
08-08-11, 19:39
Don't take your own readings if you are going to get paranoid about the results.

You would have to have a blood pressure reading that high for a long long time for it to have any bad effects on you as well.

s11fyx
08-08-11, 19:53
dont take your own blood pressure your feeding your own anixety and you being anixous makes it worse

bin the monitor and speak to your gp. are you on anything to help with your anixety? do you do any kind or relaxation to help with the tension pains? have you tryed cbt?

LucyLiz
08-08-11, 20:00
Starting cbt on Thursday. Ive been given propanolol to slow my heart rate but they were to control my panic attacks, Maybe I should take them for my
Bp now! I knew I shouldn't have bought it, I've Been through 2 already but I just couldn't help it. Stupid.

LucyLiz
08-08-11, 20:10
120/89 now. Not brill but not horrific!

daisydoo
08-08-11, 20:34
Thats fine. Would need to be consistently over 140/90. And even if it wad Wouldn't always be treated if there were no other risk factors. If you must do it for it to mean anything take it once a day when sitting relaxed. The other readings mean nothing. By the way i cant take my own advice and do mine constantly.

bluetopazgirl
08-08-11, 20:50
I had preeclampsia with both my children and my bp went dangerously high with both so i was induced my rule is - dont test it yourself get your gp too, it will on send your anxiety higher which in turn sends your bp up.. trust me im taking from experience. hugs x

LucyLiz
08-08-11, 22:41
Thanks for sound advice, quite possibly will be in the bin tomorrow morning! It's down to 115/79 now after all that awful worry.

JulieJay92
08-08-11, 22:43
this is my anxiety too

i had been fne for weeks until i had to monitor my husbands on dr's order now mine has gone 158/94 for nearly a week but lowest has been 138/88

mine usually is pretty accurate as dr works in conjunction with it for my husband so im also at my wits end

LucyLiz
08-08-11, 22:48
Poor thing. Its only after sitting on the sofa for hours trying to think positive that I got it down. Plus I've taken a diazepam. Have you been to the dr's about yours? I've taken it a stupid amount of times today (after the high reading)

Gemma T
08-08-11, 22:50
You need to chuck the monitor asap x x x

Mirabelle
08-08-11, 23:26
Hi lucyliz
Take the BP monitor and place it in the bin.
Your BP fluctuates all the time and if it was dangerously high it would stay that way no matter what. You have mostly normal readings, chuck the thing away!
x

cathycrumble
09-08-11, 22:56
Poor thing. Its only after sitting on the sofa for hours trying to think positive that I got it down. Plus I've taken a diazepam. Have you been to the dr's about yours? I've taken it a stupid amount of times today (after the high reading)

Hi

Do you know that I have gone on anti depresents now because of my fear of bp
I was in a car crash, a car crashed into the back of me and when i went to hospital she said my bp was up go ur gp I went 7 months later i kept putting it off as i hate having it done it was boarderline and I was soo worked up and the next time i went i was even more worked up. I didnt have a good year last year when all this took place. I just cant get bp out of my mind. I've got a monitor and i cant use it My bp at my new gp as i have just moved house was 135/80 which he said was fine and to come back in 12 months but i just cant banish the fear of the flaming bp thing I am 57. So you're not alone x

Cathy xx

LucyLiz
09-08-11, 23:34
It's a nightmare isn't it? I dont think mine will ever be normal in the surgery now, I just get too worked up.

nomorepanic
09-08-11, 23:37
You could ask the doctor for a 24 hour blood pressure monitor but be aware it is very annoying to wear for that long!

LucyLiz
14-08-11, 22:32
Yes, I know what you mean Nicola. I wore one several years ago when I had a high reading at the surgery. You can basically forget about sleep! My husband has kindly hidden my monitor now so I am unable to check. Although very frustrating, it's probably doing my a favour in the long term!