PDA

View Full Version : Back again, need some ideas...

avinitinatt
08-08-11, 22:07
I suffer from severe anxiety. I have no idea where it comes from, I cannot find a single trigger, although I know shower cubicles increase my panic. For four weeks now I have felt like people are going to die, like a sick feeling in my heart, and what with the killings in Norway, Amy Winehouse's death, and now all these riots in London, it's like I felt this was going to happen, and now it is happening. I feel responsible, I feel like I should have done something, I know this sounds ridiculous, and it feels ridiculous to say it, but this is how I feel.

Socially I am fine, I am ok in crowds and with people, but everyday I wake up exhausted and sick with this sick deathly feeling, I cannot bear to get in the shower, it's taking me 4 hours from waking to getting out of bed. I yawn and am exhausted constantly, I just want to hide and sleep.

The doctor gave me citalopram (I had sertraline 150mg last year and stopped this for sickness side effects around winter), anyway, I was seeing a bird flying around my lounge and he thought it was side effects so stopped it. To be honest I have seen that bird twice since stopping the medication, which is an improvement, although i'm not as severe as I was when he put me on citalopram.

Anyway I have been put on fluoxetine, and I am feeling an improvement, but I'm not sure if this is meds or my persistence, to keep going out, seeing my friends and family and basically fighting everyday to stay awake and as strong as I can.

I get this at the same time (between July and September) every year and it normally improves by autumn, so I expect to get better. I'm terrified now for next year, I'm terrified for the rest of my life, I'm 30, have never settled down, and put of serious relationships/ kids because of this. I just want it to get better, I want to be well next summer, I have a new relationship with a very supportive man, who has been brilliant. I don't know that this is pure anxiety, it is definately seasonal, although isn't it winter when the blues get to you? My doctor just seems to be throwing random drugs at me and sending me away, need some help, ideas, suggestions please xxxx

nomorepanic
08-08-11, 22:09
Hi avinitinatt

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

venusbluejeans
09-08-11, 02:07
Hiya and welcome to NMP I hope you find the help and advice here and maybe make a few friends in the process

:welcome:

Tero
09-08-11, 02:50
Well, those are problems and the doctors are sometimes clueless. There might be some help here for going without the drugs, but many of us have found some drug to be of help. Not all drugs are the same.

There are anxiety symptoms definitely there. Find a better doctor?

Anxious_gal
09-08-11, 03:02
Might be pure OCD, just a thought>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purely_Obsessional_OCD

terror-x
09-08-11, 09:28
welcome to the forum

avinitinatt
09-08-11, 11:46
Thanks, I shall read that link. My GP is a psychiatrist, well and SHO, which is part of the reason I don't feel I can challenge him, surely he should know?!! I have had periods of not using any medication and I always end up in crisis, in the summer, regardless of taking meds or not, the best pill was the sertraline, but it makes me so physically sick :(

Anyway, thankyou all xx

avinitinatt
09-08-11, 11:52
I'm not sure about the pure ocd, it kinda makes some sense, I have always had mental images of harming people or worrying they get harmed, and nightmares about harm and death, caused by me and to me, and to others by others, I have never really told anyone or even thought of this as illness?