PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about wifi plz?

xBettyBoopx
09-08-11, 00:46
Hi there

Sorry this isn't a question about anxiety:blush: But I live on me own and am stuck!

I have a pc, which I've had a long time now.

I have an old laptop which I wanna set up for wifi. I have a disc from my ISP to set up the laptop for wifi but my questions are these
1) Do I need any kind of extra security for wifi?
2) Once I have set up (if i get there lol), will I still be able to use my pc?

I am not a comp virgin but know absolutely freakin nothing about laptops lol. Btw it's an oldish laptop that someone has given me.

I have googled for information but alas I don't know what they are talking about:blush::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Thanks in advance.
Love
Els
xxx

debs71
09-08-11, 01:01
Hi Elspeth,

It is really simple to set your laptop up...if I can do it anyone can as I am rubbish with technology!

You literally just put in your CD and follow the onscreen instructions - it will ask for various codes, etc. until you reach a stage where you connect. Once you have done that your wireless connection will come up on your list of connections on your laptop too.

You don't need any extra security, just the standard security for your laptop (McAfee/Norton, etc) If you already have security on your PC sometimes you can use that same security on multiple PC's/laptop (i.e. you don't have to pay for another for your laptop) but I think that depends on your provider.

You should still be able to use your PC without issue.

I hope this helps a bit!

Good luck.x:bighug1:

xBettyBoopx
09-08-11, 02:40
Thanx Debs. I'll give it a go:yesyes::yesyes: I don't know why I thought that someone had mentioned a long time ago that you had to have extra security or something because people outside your home could pick up (the waves) or something omg I sound soooo stupid!

Anyways, will do it 2moz, thanks again:yesyes:

Els
xxx

Anxious_gal
09-08-11, 03:06
it would be good to download and install this free antivirus software :)
ive been using this version for years.
http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition-2011/3000-2239_4-10320142.html

macc noodle
09-08-11, 07:33
Hey there you just need to password protect your wifi network (which your start up disc should run you through) to prevent other users on your road accessing it.

Macc Noodle
xx

munkeyinblack
09-08-11, 08:45
Hi Elspeth,

if you still have any questions send me a pm and I'l talk you through it, ( i work for an electrical company )
Munkey x

xBettyBoopx
09-08-11, 22:05
Hi macc

Thanks for replying. I tried setting this wifi up before I came and looked to see if anyone had answered:ohmy::blush:

I wasn't given option of a password, but it's not working anyway. Lappie doesn't have a built-in wireless adaptor so I went to PC World and bought one that you put in USB port. Done all that and it ain't working!! So I rang Virgin and when I told them make of adaptor they told me to ring them! OMG have to ring an 0845 number 2moz.

Thanks again.
Els
xx

Hey there you just need to password protect your wifi network (which your start up disc should run you through) to prevent other users on your road accessing it.

Macc Noodle
xx

xBettyBoopx
09-08-11, 22:06
Hi munkey

Thanks so much for offer. Please see my above message. If I get no where 2moz I will pm you. Thanks again.
Els
xxx

Hi Elspeth,

if you still have any questions send me a pm and I'l talk you through it, ( i work for an electrical company )
Munkey x

xBettyBoopx
09-08-11, 22:07
Sorry, meant to say that 'not working' means that the lappie is not detecting the wireless adaptor for some reason:weep::weep:

Els
xxx

xBettyBoopx
09-08-11, 22:08
Mishel thanks for replying. I have anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall, I was thinking about extra security. Thanks anyways.
Els
xxx

it would be good to download and install this free antivirus software :)
ive been using this version for years.
http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition-2011/3000-2239_4-10320142.html

Helmet
09-08-11, 22:16
Have you installed the right Driver for your device?

munkeyinblack
10-08-11, 08:38
No worries Elspeth , il keep ma pc on just incase :)

recoil
10-08-11, 09:25
what operating system is the laptop running ?

xBettyBoopx
10-08-11, 22:50
Hey all

Thanks again so much for replies. I have figured out that the adaptor isn't being installed, and that's because the laptop is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo old that it only has a USB1 port and not a USB2 port:ohmy::blush:..........I can apparently buy another adaptor to fit this but costs more money of which I haven't got lol, so got me money back!!

Tut:whistles::whistles::whistles:
Love
Els
xxx