PDA

View Full Version : Return to Work Interview

CE3K
09-08-11, 15:22
Had my RTW interview today after my GP has requested a phased return to work after my latest absence of 6 weeks.
Basically, due to long-term work-related stress which has resulted in the last 12 months of me experiencing anxiety symptoms (both mental and physical) I've had two bouts off sick from work, each lasting about six weeks.
I've today been told that the senior management and Board are extremely concerned about the amount of sickness absence for someone of my seniority and given the impression that unless things improve, it could well lead to further action (via capability assessment). I was even asked if I felt that it was worth asking myself whether this job is right for me now that I have this condition.
In the same breath, I was told that my health is the most important thing and that it should come before work.
It seems that they're going along the lines of; when I'm off sick, this puts more pressure on my team and others and therefore at some point, the organisation has to determine whether they can afford for an individual to have a big sickness record.
They are totally aware of the fact that I've had several discussions with them over the last 18 months about what it is in work that has created the stress and how it eventually built up to affect both my mental and physical health.
They have always accepted these reasons and agreed that they could have listened to my concerns about the organisations failing strategy and operations when I first raised them a long time ago. Now many of the difficulties the organisation is facing could have been averted had they taken my advice.
It's as though they're saying "we hear what you're saying, and maybe we didn't listen to you at the time, or do anything about them, but things are as they are, so you're going to have to get on with it.
There was some positive input, but I've come away thinking that this is my last chance i.e. if I'm off sick again with the same health issues, then they'll probably go down the road of trying to get rid of me.
They seem to be saying that they understand my situation, but from an employers point of view, they may have no option should things not improve.
I'm trying to remain calm about this, but having gone back to work, it's clear that nothing has changed, other people are really stressed out and my workload is potentially bigger now what with being absent for the last 6 weeks.
I'm trying not to take this personally but it really pi**es me off to think that the (possibly incompetent) management has created my sheer frustration and anger in the first place, and now it's as though they're still taking no responsibility i.e. 'your problem, not ours'.
It's unlikely I'd get another similar (or any) job at my age and so I now feel under pressure to 'stay well at all costs' . . . which to someone with a chronic anxiety state is like adding fuel to the fire.
Any views or advice would be most welcome.

Gemma T
09-08-11, 18:30
Your happiness is more important then your job.

If your not happy you cant do a good job and your employers seem like all talk and no action.

Sometimes you have to take a pay cut when doing a job your happy in.

Youve just gotta decide whats more important to you, a job you wouldnt be able to get elsewhere or your sanity and happiness

x x x

HarvestMoon
09-08-11, 23:08
So let me get this right. They've admitted contributing to your stress but haven't done anything about it? Have you got this in writing? Make sure everything is documented for starters...can you get some legal advice? CAB might help?

Good luck

Yorkman
09-08-11, 23:53
Its the same where i work!! At the end of the day they are not interested in me or you! They may make out they do at work as it's the "proper" thing to do, and company policy etc!
But they really don't give a toss! As long as the works getting done is all they're bothered about if I can be honest!
If you have a good sick pay policy then stay on it untill you are fit and well! Look after yourself for yours and your family's sake because your employers won't lose any sleep over you.

macc noodle
09-08-11, 23:56
First of all, very sorry that you have been unwell with stress and off work for two 6 week periods (that in itself must cause you stress if you hold a senior position) and well done for effectively communicating your interpretation of the operational issues that you feel are causing/continuing your stress at work.

Senior management have acknowledged any operational issues that may affect your stress levels, and have also stated that they cannot alter these to your satisfaction - is that a correct interpretation?

You are therefore feeling under threat of loss of job which clearly is not going to help your stress levels.

However, it is unrealistic to expect that a company can alter operational procedure to suit an individual and their changed requirments due to illness - it may just not be feasible for whatever reason - financial, viability etc

Times are very hard for lots of people at work at the moment and we are all experiencing higher levels of stress than we may have been a few years ago and it may just be that you need to seek a release from this out of the workplace.

It does sound as it this may be the only option - better personal stress management that will enable you to cope with the job you are required to do to earn a living.

Have you looked into stress management or asked your doctor if there are any CBT therapists attached to your Practice who can help you with this?

Sometimes we have to redefine who we are and what we do in order to achieve the peace to be afforded us simply because our bodies and minds cannot manage the levels of stress we are expected to live under in certain conditions.

Good luck with your recovery and hope you find some peace soon.

Macc Noodle

Col
10-08-11, 10:38
Hi RMH

I've had a shocking time lately not so much job related but with my teacher training course if u read my post on honey for anxiety that'll give u a picture of how hard I've had to work to get to where I am career wise. They say there crying out for science graduates I went back to my uni that I graduated from in 2007 with a excellent calss of degree and since then worked for the blood bank in the labs, I'm also a mother and they say life experience counts but they decided to decline my application in 2009 the same year I'd
had my second child. To cut a long story short they said my physics was lacking I'm biology and chemistry and they put me on a year add on course this new incentive to increase subject knowledge for certain individuals. The PGCE is only a year but then they made me do SKe to enhance my knowledge ( what pants)! I'd only have to teach the Y7-Y9. sure I could manage . But stuff like life and work
experience seems to count for nothing. Anyway due to my anxiety which started this feb, I had to very sadly leave and in order to do my PGCE the condition was that I successfully complete my Ske, obviously because I haven't completed this bloody add on course I'm up s*** creak without a paddle. They asked me to reenter this course when it runs again this coming academic year BUT have to have a reintegration meeting. Making this qualifying to become a teacher now three years in total, vie done my hard graph degree and vie worked for the NHS and got glowing references , I feel like crying writing this. I'm not going back they can swiz!!!! It was a full time course and contributed massively to me unwellness it was shocking and I'm not just saying this BUT it was very much tailored to singles those of us that had kids ALL really struggled and our head tutor would even have coffee meeting with individuals who had kids particularly,because it was causing some really stress at home and between partners.

I wanted more than anything to teach and now I'm off twiddling my thumbs, gone from doing loads to doing not much other than being a wife and a mother. I love it to be honest BUT now have the issue of living from hand to mouth , only one wage and not sure benefits what to do!!!! I feel so unlucky had all the right intentions for me and my kids and all effort gone to pot.

Uni have also been awful, I've emailed them they've not replied I wanted to k ow about my credits and marks , if my bursery would stop, my future what to do , ive had nothing.

In the end I sent an informal complaint to the pro vice chancellor, but the outcome is it's not our fault this has happened to you health and all the things you've said about the course you can't back up (as though im lying ) BUT anyway we are sorry about lack of support UPHELD, we wish you all the success in the future , WHATEVER , the formalities, don't they know how to act......? They're like robots not human.

I know it's different from your situation but it's the feeling that certain individuals only want to hear what they want to hear and the ignorance appalls me.
People of power love to show there authority but it's disgusting, anxiety can happen to anyone, no ones exempt from ill health no matter how important they may think they are.

Hope it all works out for you, your health is the most important thing and just think about yourself and not what other individuals are thinking. Do what's best for you.
Takecare X

Gemma T
10-08-11, 12:11
Im actually a parlegal but my expertise are personal injury caused by road traffic accidents and crime.

I have no knowledge of employment law but i will advise you to contact them as well. They will get you in touch with somebody who can help.

I also advise you read the cab website as they provide reams of information about employment law. All in laymans terms as well so no worries of being overwhelmed.

Lastly i advise you document everything said and done. By a nte pad and carry it around with you. Inc times, dates, names, what was said, what people were wearing if you hvae to, those present, basically everythng. Your solicitor will thank the high heavens for being so prepared and will support your case should any legal action need to be taken.

Good luck x x x

Good luck x x x

CE3K
10-08-11, 15:10
Firstly, thank you all above for taking the time to reply and offering your views and advice . . . it's very much appreciated.
To answer a few of the questions and to add some more perspective . . .
1. Would you believe, but one of my key roles within the organisation (and that of my team) is to provide our customers with employment law advice! So I'm very familiar with a wide range of rights and procedures, including sickness and disciplinary. However, it feels different when the issue involves myself and I've found it quite difficult to establish in my own mind what my case might be should things deteriorate. In this respect, should it turn out that I'm off sick again and they decide to initiate the 'capability' process etc, then I realise that it would be best for me to enlist the help of a third party. Having said that, because of my 'fragility' due to my current condition, I currently feel I would find the process too stressful.
2. It's true the most important things are my health and family's happiness, but at the same time, my income is needed otherwise we'd be facing having to probably sell up and move into a caravan! I do appreciate that I could just decide that this job is not for me, BUT when I'm well I do quite enjoy it and know that I'm making a positive difference. (You'd think that an organisation would want to keep 'their best', but it seems that they could be willing to let me go if my sickness record doesn't improve).
3. At this point in time, I've just had a Return to Work interview, with an agreement that I work reduced hours over the next couple of weeks and to then review the situation. Today has not been too bad at all as things turned out.
4. I do have records of emails going back over years and so should I ever need these as any form of evidence, I can copy/print them. But as things stand, I don't want to start compiling these and my case unless the undercurrent of threat actually becomes a reality. However, I will take Gemma's advice and make a written note of any verbal conversations that could eventually be relevant.
5. Macc Noodle . . . basically, they're agreeing that the business change programme has not gone according to plan . . . but have not gone as far as saying "we wish we'd taken your advice". It's more a case of them saying "things have gone wrong, we're trying to put them right, we have to accept things as they now are and move forward". The only thing I can say about positive support is that they have told me not to try to take on or feel responsibility to solve every problem (even though I may have the answer). Basically, they're saying that as long as I stick to my job role and escalate any concerns, then I've done my bit and leave it for others to sort out. So today, I refused an invitation to attend a meeting which is outside my remit/job role . . . and although a bit shocked, my line manager accepted it!! (I had sought advice from HR before doing this).

So, I'm back working with my dedicated and supportive team (though still experiencing various symptoms) and I'm hoing that things will improve as time goes on. However, I'm also trying to be a bit more thoughtful about other options I might have or that might crop up (one of which sadly is a Lottery win!).

Thaks again . . . I'll keep in touch re: progress.