PDA

View Full Version : Why cit and not Prozac??

Yorkman
10-08-11, 00:16
Quick question please,
What's the difference in cit and Prozac?
Wondering why my doc put me on cit for my anxiety? It's all work related I'm unhappy there. Panicky, upset, sleepless nights etc.
A week in and no better.

nomorepanic
10-08-11, 00:37
To be honest I would not choose the medication route but other alternative therapies.

If it is all work related then medication isn't going to help.

Prozac is good for depression - never touched my panic attacks.

I was given Citalopram for sleep problems and only took it for a week and hated it - made me 10 times worse.

You have to find a happy medium for yourself though as we are all different.

no_name
10-08-11, 08:48
A week is too little time to expect feeling better, these medicines make your condition even worse at the beginning. You have to wait 2-4 weeks before discussing things with your Dr. and considering the benefits from the pill. Citalopram DOES help for anxiety too, no matter where it comes from. You can add some sedative in the early days of taking citalopram to help you manage the PAs, sleepless nights and the other unpleasant things.

Anxious_gal
10-08-11, 09:28
I think if a med makes you feel a million times worse and you can't with that then it's doing more harm than good .
There's different types of meds that all affect the brain differently, as well as that people respond differently to different meds.
It's a bit of a trail and error to see if you can fond one that works you.

Yorkman
10-08-11, 09:38
I've Tried other routes over the last 12 To 18 months. Nothings really worked so far.
Things suddenly declined the other week, i had to seek help off the doc. Hence the cit.
I know it's work related, just Hope it works.

JaneC
10-08-11, 12:07
It seems to me that, much as Nic says, doctors much more commonly use cit rather than Prozac/fluoxetine for anxiety. I find Prozac very good for PAs but I think I'm the exception rather than the rule - I think it's quite a stimulating drug so maybe isn't very good for a lot of people with anxiety.

A week still isn't very long Yorkman. My personal opinion is that if you've been suffering for a while, meds can take longer to work. Prozac doesn't necessarily work quickly either. You need to try to give it another couple of weeks minimum and also try not to obsess over whether it is working or not x

Magic
10-08-11, 19:37
Yorkman,
Listen to Jane C.You are not giving time for your meds to work. sometimes it may take up to a month before you will feel any better.