PDA

View Full Version : Panicing when driving home?

Towers
10-08-11, 16:33
Hi,

Just a quick question:-

Does anybody else start to get panicky when they drive up their own street?:shrug:

Thanks.

Col
11-08-11, 13:36
Kind off but not really at the same time because I know I'm near my house. Kind of because I sometimes get panicky in the car full stop even getting in the car I get edgy and feel when I've accomplished only a short journey like it's a big achievement.

I don't go far at the moment because of it, I get sick of feeling ill and whn I'm out, if I start to feel unwell, I freak out and now my anxiety is now consequently debilitating.
I do push myself to go out though almost everyday!!!!

R u panicky driving far??? Or is your panic more specific to other situations???

Towers
11-08-11, 15:13
Hi Col,

Thanks for your reply.

I don't mind driving as such - although I don't like being stuck in a queue of traffic or being stuck at red traffic lights for too long - it's just driving home up our street. As it's a cul-de-sac you can only get in one way -maybe if it was a normal road I'd have 2 choices of entry. But I think it started off as worrying about / or hoping that I don't meet/see any of the neighbours on the street (with having social anxiety I don't really speak to many of them).

Towers

Col
11-08-11, 16:26
Ahh I see that's probably why u feel the way u do!
I think the fear of being trapped and not being able to get away easy and therefore having to encounter people as a consequence.

U could always pretend to be on your mobile as u get out of the car:winks:

Towers
11-08-11, 17:00
Hi Col,

Yes - I could try that with the mobile.

snowwhite
13-08-11, 18:11
Hi Col,

Thanks for your reply.

I don't mind driving as such - although I don't like being stuck in a queue of traffic or being stuck at red traffic lights for too long - it's just driving home up our street. As it's a cul-de-sac you can only get in one way -maybe if it was a normal road I'd have 2 choices of entry. But I think it started off as worrying about / or hoping that I don't meet/see any of the neighbours on the street (with having social anxiety I don't really speak to many of them).

Towers

Towers ...... this may very well be due to the fear you have of meeting the other people on your street, good point! But, just for my two cents...yes, I've had anxiety attacks in my car .. not necessarily when approaching home, but jsut about anywhere! It's pretty scary!