PDA

View Full Version : viruses on pc making me anxious

Em.ma
10-08-11, 19:12
Hi i have avg 2011. anyway about 20 viruses just popped up. if they go the vault does that mean there safe? x

nomorepanic
10-08-11, 19:13
Yes it does

Em.ma
10-08-11, 19:19
thanks. viruses keep popping up every two seconds.

london
10-08-11, 19:23
go to www.nod32.com (http://www.nod32.com)
get a free 28 days its the best one i know

god bless

Em.ma
10-08-11, 19:26
i got this with that link "Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.nod32.com."

i can use any other page on the internet though
x and is it safe to use two anti viruses at once

london
10-08-11, 19:28
i just did it it worked

Em.ma
10-08-11, 19:28
also a few days had a phone call from someone asking for me saying they knew my address and phone number saying i clicked on a competetion and filled it out- i didnt?

Em.ma
10-08-11, 19:32
i just did it it worked

:S it wont for me. they keep popping up :lac: :scared15:

Em.ma
10-08-11, 19:37
current number: 130 avg has found. i do a scan every few days though.

nomorepanic
10-08-11, 19:51
I use AVG and don't have any problems with it at all. Have you got it to set up to scan things all the time as well though?

Liliana83
10-08-11, 20:00
Malwarebytes is good too...

Em.ma
10-08-11, 20:11
Thanks. Nope, Usually i do a scan once every 3 days. I just did one and it removed everything into the vault x

Em.ma
10-08-11, 20:12
Malwarebytes thats another one i have for stuff avg doesnt remove for some reason x

andyr1979
10-08-11, 20:18
i use avg and malwarebytes too, between the two of them they find most viruses !

CE3K
10-08-11, 20:37
I'd strongly recommend Malwarebytes (free version) too. Although I have a strong virus monitor running continuously (in my case Microsoft Security Essentials), things can happen . . . and having Malwarebytes on your Desktop is really useful to execute stand-alone when you run in to these types of problems.

Anxious_gal
10-08-11, 21:30
not everything it finds are virus, a lot are just COOKIES.
It normally says the virus in red, with words such as WORM/ throjion horse

Em.ma
11-08-11, 19:04
i have loads of trojans. keeps popping up. my pc is doing weird things. opening prgrammes etc without being asked. its also coming up with let windows continue this programme and then freezing the pc :S

nomorepanic
11-08-11, 19:36
Sounds like a bad virus. Would it let you do a full virus scan?

Liliana83
11-08-11, 19:40
Could be one of those fake viruses? Does something like a program ask you to please buy a certain software to remove the viruses? I had a similar case happen to me where the newest windows said I had trojans by using IE..which I don't use nor do I have the latest windows installed at my work computer. I had to call my computer guy and told me to forcefully unplug computer and let him look at it.

Em.ma
11-08-11, 20:51
it let me do a full scan now- and ive got nothing :S and now the pc is ok again lol :\
its lie when windows asks to use a prgroamme- like if u download something new x

CE3K
12-08-11, 14:20
It's true that some viruses are what you might call 'fake'. Also 'Adware' can act similar to a virus.
Whatever virus protection software you have installed, make sure it's always up to date (most good one's allow automatic updating so that you know you're always up to date.
Don't ignore any messages/reminders you might get asking you to run an update.
Again, I would say that Malwarebytes is an essential piece of software to have IN ADDITION to your virus protection software. Many viruses disable your virus protection software so that you can't run a scan to try to fix the problem. In these cases, having something like Malwarebytes on your PC can often help to identify the virus/trojan or whatever, and clean your PC up.
Unfortunately, some viruses are very 'clever' and can disable Malwarebytes as well . . . then you've got real problems and have to resort to quite complex means to eliminate the problem. Fortunately, I'm fairly well up on computer techie stuff.
So, go get Malwarebytes . . . you'll find that the majority of Tech Support Forums and Geek sites recommend this. It's a free downmload and it's saved me/my PC a couple of times in recent years. :)

Tyke
13-08-11, 04:34
rmh - Is it OK to use malwarebytes in addition to any other antiviral software? I have full McAfee protection, but read somewhere that you should only have one of these programmes running or they will conflict with each other. I'd like to install it, but don't want to create any other problems or slow down my computer or anything!

looking4answers
13-08-11, 04:59
The hackers and software designers are sure having a ball with all the novice computer users...pity:(

CE3K
13-08-11, 12:17
rmh - Is it OK to use malwarebytes in addition to any other antiviral software? I have full McAfee protection, but read somewhere that you should only have one of these programmes running or they will conflict with each other. I'd like to install it, but don't want to create any other problems or slow down my computer or anything!

Yes it's absolutely fine.
Malware bytes is just installed on to the PC. It doesn't do anything untill you execute it yourself. Whereas your virus protection software is running constantly whilst the PC is switched on. It's true that you shouldn't run two virus protection programs running concurrently . . . this can cause a host of problems.

But, as I've said, Malwarebytes is a program that just sits on your PC and doesn't do a thing until you ask it to.

Example: I got some Malware infection which started causing all sorts of problems and within a few minutes, it was corrupting various programmes incuding my browser. I don't know why the anti-virus didn't intervene, but remember there's always new viruses/malware around which can evade many anti-virus programs.
Anyway, in this circumstance, I just double-clicked on Malwarebytes and it started running a scan. It found two Trojans and basically quarantined them.
Granted, that is a fairly simplistic scenario . . . sometimes you need a bit more technical knowledge to fully eradicate an infection. That's where geek websites come in handy, or if you know someone with experience in PCs, you may need to enlist their help.
In my opinion and through expreience, Malwarebytes is completely and utterly safe to install as it is a stand-alone piece of software which doesn't interfere with whatever anti-virus program that a person may have installed.
You could google it and have a look for yourself to give you extra piece of mind.
:)

Tyke
16-08-11, 02:38
Thanks for the reply rmh. I will take a look at it.