PDA

View Full Version : Gaps in employment history

simms
07-05-06, 18:48
I started to experience anxiety around two years ago now. I have been working on and off during this time due to anxiety but it has left my CV looking patchy employment wise and it becomes hard to explain away gaps in employment to future employers/job agencies and makes me feel like I'm lazy which I am not. Its not as if I have any dependants to look after, being male does not help as everyone sorta expects a guy to have a steady job (I hope that does not sound sexist [Oops!] I assure you I'm not). Anyone else having difficulty with this ? Any tips ?

t0rt01se36
07-05-06, 20:36
I so can relate to this.

Where do I start?

Well since May '97 when I had my first job, I've been in and out of employment until early 2004. I haven't worked since then and am too finding it difficult to find work and prove myself to employers.

I am nearly 30 with not many qualifications and even tho those factors plus the gap aren't good I know, I'm surprised employers aren't wanting to give me a chance.

Tips: try not to use employment agencies and if you see a job thru an agency, try to find out somehow about the job. ie if u find a job advertised in a newspaper thru an agency and phone up, they don't tend 2 tell u about the job. They just wanna get u on their files.

Julie x

Keitharcher
09-05-06, 20:08
Hi

A couple of ploys to use are 1) updating education, 2) self employment, they may help to disguise patcy CV's

Keith

Phill2
10-05-06, 04:32
I just lie !

Don't believe everything you think.

pauline
13-05-06, 12:56
Hi

Just a thought but if you go to see a Mental health councellor, as i do then they will be able to help you get in contact with people that help people like us, who might of given up work because of anxiety.

These organisations have lists of employers who help to train and are understanding of people with mental health problems.

Also Jullip is right sometimes you just have to be creative with what you write for the gaps.

simms
15-05-06, 18:37
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of lying on my CV by saying I been on long holidays and the like but I always thought I would get found out if you have not got a good story to back these things up as you can get a good grilling in some interviews and I'm not a very good liar.........not a lot of the time anyway :D.

Pauline- Have you got more information on these organisations ?