PDA

View Full Version : Get Going!

twister
06-04-04, 22:14
My CBT man said I should change my lifestyle and do some exercise, so I have been eating healthily and going to the gym. I have to say exercise is really helping me. I have been sleeping better and feeling almost no anxiety at all for the last couple of weeks.

It can seem a bit dull but give it a go![:0]

Emily

nomorepanic
06-04-04, 22:19
Em

Nice one - my panic went away in Feb 2002 after starting a diet and exercise so maybe you are finding the same cure I did!!

It has been back a few times but it definitely helped.

Here is an extract from my website ..

A minimum of three to five times a week of some form of exercise is recommended. This should include a cardiovascular workout as well.

Although you may not feel like exercising, you can make significant progress with Panic and Anxiety once you start a regular exercise program.

I was not a believer in this until recently (Feb 2002) when I decided to go on a diet and thought that exercise was probably going to help as well. So, I embarked on a daily exercise program. I do either an hour's aerobic workout video or go swimming for 30 - 40 minutes every day.

Wow - the difference this had made to my Anxiety and Panic. I had no episodes of Panic again until July 2002 (when a death in the family brought them back to a small extent) but I generally feel so much better for it. I never believed that it would ever help but the results are amazing and I now wish I had done at least some exercise years ago.

Please give it a go and see how you get on - I wish I had taken my own advice years ago !

Keep it up Em and I hope it works for you too [:p]

Nicola

twister
07-04-04, 13:35
not sure about the three to five times a week bit!

Emily

apm
07-04-04, 16:12
I'm trying to do three times a week for about 30-45 minutes, and I think it's helping (along with giving up nicotine and caffeine and eating more healthily). Couldn't do every day though! LoL

Good stuff- keep it up!

Alex.

If you're in a hole, stop digging... unless you're a miner.

lilac kitten
07-04-04, 16:16
I totally have to agree here. When I was walking a lot when my baby was first born I was happy and healthy. I'm attempting to walk again and just doing what I can. I go to the gym once a week (partly to exercise, but its nice to have a break from the kids and relax with my friend - getting fit at the same time).

I'm very interested in nutrition, and have started eating better in the last couple of weeks and have cut my tea intake down to two to three cups a day - spaced out during the day. And am having alcohol free evenings (i.e. not attacking the bottle of wine to wind down when I get in from work).

I must say that I feel slightly improved already. No over the panics yet or anything, but in myself I feel a little less sluggish and down.

Nicola, I see you mentioned that the death of a family member bought your anxiety back a bit - this is exactly whats happened to me since my dad died back in January - up until then I was doing really well, and now I feel I'm the worst with the anxiety I've ever been. But I will beat this. With the support of this wonderful web site and taking little steps at a time I will get halfway to being normal again.

Nice sunny afternoon, I finish in 15 minutes and am already looking foward to getting the kids and going for a walk.

Love and a Happy Easter,
Ruth
x

nomorepanic
08-04-04, 18:41
Hi all

I do an aerobics class once a week and then swim the other nights. I was doing 2 aerobics classes a week but stopped going to one of them - long story. I only do exercise Mon-Fri and have the weekend off. Swimming is great cos you can do just a few lengths or loads. I usually do 40 each session but sometimes only feel like doing 20. Anything helps doesn't it?

Ruth - sorry to hear about your dad - must be a hard time for you still as it is not that long ago. It hit me hard even though it wasn't totally unexpected (he had cancer so we knew he was dying) but I got close to Alex's dad as mine died 10 years ago. It did knock me for 6 when the panic came back and the funeral was so hard cos I felt very panicky there too. I do hope that you can get back in control again and you can overcome the panic. Give yourself time to grieve properly though.

Happy Easter to you too.

x

Nicola

uryjm
09-04-04, 18:00
I'd agree that exercise is a great stress release. My preference is cycling, and I'm lucky enough to live by the coast. I find that even the thought of being out on my bike in the sea air is a tonic, and can calm me down when anxiety is threatening.

Jim

Laurie28
13-04-04, 13:59
Hiya,

Emily I'm glad it is working !!!

My preferred method of exercise has to be jogging. i find running with some headphones and good tunes is very therapeutic for me. However very lazy and haven't been for ages (maybe start when weather heats up!!) (hot weather in Scotland - I must be having a laugh!)

Lucky