PDA

View Full Version : ...

Anxiousmess
11-08-11, 14:32
Is it possible for someone to just not be able to breathe than doesnt have allergys or any lung or chest problems??

nomorepanic
11-08-11, 14:35
No cos breathing is an automatic response that the body controls.

Anxiousmess
11-08-11, 14:43
Mmm.. im just trying to understand this thing i keep getting.
My chest feels really tight always and it feels hard to breathe always but i get this strange thing ocassionally where i go to breathe in and i cant atall.. its like it blocks off, then i cough at it goes away? Its horrible cuz it jus happens when im not expecting it, and then i seem to not even be able to gasp when i get it.. but the doctors checked my chest and my blood oxygen lvl and aparently its all normal and fine.. iv just got a job, and im starting tomorrow morning.. im scared, what if it happens at work and its worse or lasts longer.. and what if i jus start gasping and cant breathe and i die.. please reply :( xx

Anxiousmess
11-08-11, 23:15
y does noone believe that i sometimes cannot breathe :(

debs71
12-08-11, 00:57
Hi,

I think this is a vicious circle, the breathing thing.

The vicious circle is that the more you focus on your breathing and that you think it is abnormal, the more abnormal it becomes and so it goes on and it is REALLY hard to break it, I know.

Barring any physical respiratory probs like asthma,bronchitis, etc. and establishing that your oxygen saturations are normal (level of oxygen in the blood) then it is probable that this IS anxiety, though I totally get how easy it is to think that it isn't and that you have a problem that is being 'missed'.

I've had these episodes too where the normal rhythm of breathing totally goes out of sync and you recognise every breath and kind of periodically 'gag' with it, where it feels like the airway is blocking off.

This is anxiety, no question...and it can get back to normal I promise.

Firstly, do try to stop reinforcing that you 'can't breathe' in you mind.

You can, and you are, demonstrated by the fact that you are physically mobile and typing on the PC, haven't collapsed and have had all the checks. Really being unable to breathe is a whole different ballgame hun.

Removing that mental block of 'I can't breathe' as what that does is make you hyperventilate with panic, which makes things worse. Keep only positive things in mind like ' I know I am ok, my breathing is fine, I'm just anxious that's all' etc. Positive thoughts and words really help calm you down, honestly.

Distraction really helps as it is the stopping focusing on your breathing that makes it all disappear, so keep yourself busy when you can.

This will pass.xxx:bighug1: