PDA

View Full Version : Going away for a few days but think I am gonna have a heart attack any day now

Manchesterutd412
11-08-11, 18:16
Hi all

I am going away for the weekend with my girlfriend but I am really scared I am gonna have a heart attack.
I have been having chest pain and pain in my left arm and tight chest all week and had a E.C.G done on Monday that was normal but E.C.G is only good if you are having a heart attack at the time:weep:.
I am going out my mind and just won't the heart attack to come so the doctors believe me that there is a problem.
All so iget burning pain in my chest when I lie on my right side and that's scaring me to.
I need some one to tell me I am ok and that I am not the. Only one

nomorepanic
11-08-11, 19:04
Hi there

Can I ask who told you that the ECG is only good if you are having a heart attack at the time as that is incorrect.

It could be something simple like indigestion causing all these pains as well.

Geoff2301
11-08-11, 19:04
try going for a jog round the block............ the pain won't be any worse and that'll prove to you its nothing to do with the old ticker!! You've probably just pulled a muscle in the chest wall.... easy to do.

s11fyx
11-08-11, 19:24
are you sure your not just nervous about going away and all this is casued by tension try to relax x

kinnygirl1
11-08-11, 19:40
this is my fear too so I completely understand. Can be made worse by upcoming events which you perceive to be stressful so maybe the thought of your trip is causing it? Hopefully once you are actually on the trip your mind will be on other things and you won't notice your symptons as much.

Mirabelle
11-08-11, 19:52
An ECG will show any past heart attack and any problem with your heart. A heart problem will cause permanent changes to your ECG.
X

haynsey
11-08-11, 21:21
Mirabelle is correct, my husband had a heart attack 2years ago and the ecg picks that up straight away...also last week he had severe arm pain in his left arm and i took him to a&e hosp, upon having an ecg the doctors confirmed that he had not had an heart attack recently just the damage that was done in 2009 the ecg picked that up, pain in your arm for an heart attack is usually by the hands the lower part of the arm, not so much the top, and that is what the doctor to him last week......

anx mum
11-08-11, 21:24
can understand how worried u r. I had sharp and burning pains in my chest for months i thought it was my heart kept going to a&E what has doc said?

xtremx
11-08-11, 22:00
I have been having chest pains know for about 2 year and have had loads of ecgs and a treadmill ecg and they have all comeback fine and then on the 3 feb was rushed to hospital with a suspect heart attack and guess what it was a so called major panic attack and I am still here.

What I am tryin to say is if you have had a ecg and it was ok thier is now damage from past time you have had chest pains it is most likely panic attacks. Also things like GERD can cause all the things you are feelling and a problam called costochondritis ( i have both and a panic disorder ) but you just have to put it all to the back of your mind.

Please enjoy your weekend:bighug1:

sandy40
12-08-11, 08:19
Hi im the same as you,ive had about 5 ecgs in the past 2 weeks due to chest pain/pressure and arm pai,n all ok,but i want to know if a heart attack is about to happen as i feel it is,a ecg only picks up if ones already happened.

Anxious_gal
12-08-11, 08:48
From what I've read heart attacks are mainly caused by a blockage which causes damage to your heart, so an ECG will pick up on this long before an actual heart attack, that's why the doctor may tell you use aspirin if your at risk.

sandy40
12-08-11, 09:05
Ive read a resting ecg would not pick up a blockage,that worries me...my gps/drs all blame stress but i dont beleive them.