PDA

View Full Version : antibiotics and antidepressants

toni282
12-08-11, 15:19
hi everyone.

ive not posted for a while as was feeling quit good but the last few days ive been getting very paniky again. I went to the docs and she said she was worried (not the best thing to say to someone with he) and told me i had an inflamed womb and pelvis. she prescibed 400mg twice a day for two weeks of metronidazole and 100mg twice a day for two weeks of doxycycline and im already on 50mg sertraline. so my question is does antibiotics stop sertraline working as my anxiety is so high again!
ive really had enough now :weep:
someone please reply thanks x

countrygirl
12-08-11, 16:54
No anti depres do not stop antibiotics working at all so no worries there.

Did your GP take a swab for infection from your cervix or something?? bit baffled at to how she knew your womb and pelvis were infected ?? Did you have very definite symptoms of this type of infection. Sorry for the questions but not something I have come across before other than after childbirth.

toni282
12-08-11, 17:50
Thanks for the reply, yeah she took 4 swabs and I keep gettin bleeding and pain in lower back and tummy. It's been going on for a while now and she also wants to refer me to the ganacolagist (can't spell) for a smear as she wasnt aloud to do one coz I'm not over 25

kmodoherty
12-08-11, 17:52
Hang in there, this will pass! kmodoherty

Ingenious
12-08-11, 19:00
I've been on all manner of antibiotics last year for an infection and it had no effect on the antidepressants I was on, so please don't worry too much about that :)

Davinci817
12-08-11, 23:18
Hope I can help ease your worries a little bit. With all that is going on with the bleeding and inflamed uterus, your anxiety could be very extreme due to the hormones that are raging in your body. Definitely see a gyno to make sure everything is okay internally but to also have a good chat with. Sometimes something as simple as low dose birth control can get you fixed right up.

JaneC
12-08-11, 23:44
Hi Toni, there might be a possibility the metro-whatsit is actually causing your anxiety. I don't think it's officially listed as a side effect but there are lots of reports of people experiencing anxiety while taking it - I researched it a bit some months back when my doc was investigating if I might have c diff.

Don't just stop taking it though. Seek advice first and I hope you feel better soon xx

haynsey
13-08-11, 13:35
I do not think that antibiotics effect SSRI's