PDA

View Full Version : Why me .

perseverence
14-08-11, 08:49
My name is William and I am 66 years of age and I have GAD(General Anxiety Disorder).Every morning on getting up I am unbalanced,and most of the day,when I go out I feel light headed and nausius ,but I still venture out(you noticed that I have used the word venture) and not just go out.I have had this disorder for most of my life,but have only had these anxiety sensations for 3 months,before I retired I dealt with this by working(Distraction if you like)I worry about my two sons,Finances,my wife my daughter,in fact thinking about it ,I probably look for things to worry about.I have been on Sertraline for years 50mg one tablet every day,recently my doctor doubled the medication to 100mg every day which made things worse,so I am now back to the 50mg.I realise that its down to my thoughts and I have tried fighting it ,accepting it,and everything else known to man and woman.
Hypnotheraphy,Acupuncture,medication,meditation,br eathing exercises,and CBT,which did,nt suit me. Had all the usual blood tests and cholestrol,eye tests with 6 machines,ears looked at by my doctor,all results A1 and so you think that I would be over the moon,but no,I want to be me again,(very Impatient)so thank you for reading this.

LaNae
14-08-11, 18:28
It's such a hard thing to overcome. What helps me is labelling each worry as unimportant and distracting yourself. Anxiety is 'just' a habit, think of it as that rather than some kind of incurable disorder. You can break the habit. It takes time and patience, but it's possible, just as you can break any habit.

Try to force yourself to remain neutral. When a worry surfaces, keep your emotions neutral. Feel disinterested, even bored. Don't analyse it, don't reassure yourself. The worry is insignificant, unimportant. Then distract yourself with something else. Keep doing this without fail- you will break the cycle. You just need to re-train your brain. Your brain is serving you, it's trying to help, it's keeping you alert to the slightest danger. You need to show your brain that there's no danger, that it can relax, that it doesn't need to protect you like a little yapping dog. Your emotions are fine, you evolved to feel fear and to be alert- but they are not needed. There is no sabre-toothed tiger running after you as it did your ancestors. You need to get that through to your emotions.

Try drinking camomile tea every day and get some lavender oil to put on your pillow or pulse points. This will calm you down. Do something everyday to make you smile. Remain social and busy, look to the future, keep hope and optimism. Watch what you eat as certain things can increase anxiety (cut down on processed foods, wheat, sugary snacks). Exercise, for instance a nice fast walk until you can feel yourself getting warmer- it increases happy chemicals and gets rid of adrenaline. Spend time in nature. Look after a pet. Find things that make you laugh. If nothing else, sit and force a smile on your face for about three minutes- it will make your mind believe you are happy and relaxed.

Best of luck to you.

Ddcoo
15-08-11, 16:52
You have my sympathy William - we are much the same; I am a year older than you, have been retired a couple of years. I have had GAD as long as I can remember, I was always a "worried" child. I am on 50mg antidepressant, I was put up to 75mg when I retired as I didn't cope very well, but 75mg was too much for me too and I really went off the rails.The dizziness and nausea is my worst symptom and also bouts of complete exhaustion, which spoils my everyday life. I have so much to live for, my partner has 7 lovely grandchildren and I am proud to be their proxy Nana, yet still I battle every day with this horrible anxiety. I had 4 really good weeks last month and I gloss painted as much as I could in the house, spring cleaned, gardened, went out shopping with a song in my heart, and yet now I am back to the old enemy again. I am going on holiday soon and am hoping for a reprive again, to enjoy my hols without anxiety.
Keep on plodding William, there has to be light at the end of the tunnel, but its a flipping long tunnel lol.

snowgoose
15-08-11, 17:05
Welcome William :hugs:

these replies are so lovely ..........sure you will get lots of support here .x