PDA

View Full Version : What strength do you take ?

Yorkman
14-08-11, 19:42
Hi,
I'm just wondering what strength citrolapram everyone takes please??
I'm on 20mg and only on day 13. Had no side affects at all. And not noticed any improvements really.
I know it's early days but I'm just wondering if 20mg is strong enough?
What do you take? Has it worked well? And how long have you been on it?

Thanks

no_name
14-08-11, 20:24
20mg is the 'usual' dose, most of the people on Citalopram take that dose. You are taking it for 13 days now, so i assume you will recover soon (usually takes 2-4 weeks). I've taken these pills 4 times in the past 8 years and they were wonderful for me (15-20 days after treatment start i was 'healed' enough to take my life back). Recently upped the dose to 40mg and took it for 2 months but didn't work well (there was some improvement but too weak one) so i was switched to Sertraline (Zoloft)... I regret that citalopram stopped working for me, but i can't do anything:weep:

HypnosWisher
14-08-11, 20:34
Hi Yorkman,

When I was prescribed Citalopram, I was told that it can take 3-6 months to get into your system and start working. I hope that it helps you. I was on 20mg for a month, then increased to 40mg and then taken off it completely.

no_name
14-08-11, 20:46
Hi Yorkman,

When I was prescribed Citalopram, I was told that it can take 3-6 months to get into your system and start working. I hope that it helps you. I was on 20mg for a month, then increased to 40mg and then taken off it completely.
Sorry for being rude or self-confident but 3-6 months is pretty much time! If SSRIs had to be taken for such period of time before starting work, most of the people would become crazy (not literally) while waiting... Most of the times 2-4 weeks is enough for the pills to kick in. There are some people who need a little more time but everything above 4-6 weeks is a waste of time and a torture for the patient. In that case the dose should be increased for another 2-4 weeks and if this cannot help too- the next step is switching the medicine. That's a standard 'algorithm' used in the recovery process.

HypnosWisher
14-08-11, 21:00
Everyone's brain chemically is different. Sometimes it can take a short amount of time to work or a longer time to work. The thing with treating such things as depression and anxiety that it is about treatment and management of the illness's. There is no cure. Treatment unfortunately can feel like trial and error and that your an experiment. If people can't accept the timescales involved with treatment, then maybe alternatives other than medication is required too.

LauraSmith27
14-08-11, 21:15
I've been on 20mg for 4 months now. It stopped my horrible IBS symptoms within a week and I haven't had a full blown panic attack since starting. It has taken much longer than my initial improvement for the tablets to really kick in though. I am only now getting back to my normal self, but everyone is different.

no_name
14-08-11, 21:33
I doubt there are many people (and their DRs) waiting 3-6 months for the ADs to kick in. You wouldn't wait such amount of time, would you? As i said everything above month or two is a waste of time. These are conditions from which a person have to recover as fast as possible. SSRIs are relatively fast acting medicines (considering the conditions treated). So if you don't recover for several weeks you won't recover at all with the particular pill! Speaking about Citalopram- its Cmax (max.concetration after taking a single dose) is in about 2-4 hours and its plasma concetration is established in 1-2 weeks. So if you don't recover 2-3 weeks after the medicine has reached its settled concetration, it is pointless to continue suffering. Just up the dose, change the medicine, add another one (like typical psychotics)... Here is some pharmacology information about Citalopram- its mechanism of action, pharmacokinetics and other specific information http://www.rlsnet.ru/mnn_index_id_2496.htm

cathycrumble
14-08-11, 21:44
Wow!!! wish it took me to feel better after 4 weeks. I took it last september after a bad year I had. by January I started to feel brll SO I stupidly stopped them in march. Silly daft thing to do! I was back to square one withdrawals were the pits. I went back on them 7 and a half weeks ago first week on 20 the next 3 weeks on 30 then the last 3 and a half weeks on 40mg. All I can say is I am getting there but not been easy. I am also waiting for CBT to help. Maybe it depends on how long you have been ill, I mean the longer you been ill the longer it takes for the AD to work. If however, you get well after 4 weeks. Lucky you.:yesyes:

Cathy xx

HypnosWisher
14-08-11, 22:43
A month or two? Pointless?? I am sorry but I don't agree with the whole the GP needs panic prescribe. I haven't recovered and have been taking my medication for 4 months. It is called patience. Management and treatment are key to people recovering or managing their illness's. In terms of 3-6 months is based on dosage being increased if need be.

cathycrumble
14-08-11, 23:10
A month or two? Pointless?? I am sorry but I don't agree with the whole the GP needs panic prescribe. I haven't recovered and have been taking my medication for 4 months. It is called patience. Management and treatment are key to people recovering or managing their illness's. In terms of 3-6 months is based on dosage being increased if need be.

Here here!

Cathy xx

Eternity
14-08-11, 23:26
Hi
I've been on citalopram for just over two years, and I am on 60mg, the maximum dose. I have to say, it has really given me my life back.