PDA

View Full Version : Cystosocpy - totally terrified.

countrygirl
15-08-11, 20:32
I have had pain on weeing for about 10 weeks now, feels like it is around the opening to my urethra and Dr thinks its probably due to hormone issue with the skin as I am menopausal but because the pain has not gone away and also I always( since I was 20) have blood in my urine ( invisible to eye) he says he has to advise me to have one. I have had the invisible blood forr 30 yrs and have been told its due to leaky kidneys and only came to light on the introdiction of the dipstick tests.

I read up on the internet about the test and they all say that its painful to wee for day or so afterwards and you get blood etc and then list the possible
really bad side effects like swelling of the urethra so you can't wee or bad water infections from the scope.

Dr said I will have the test within 2 weeks - don't know if thats good or bad.

I get in such a state that my bp is sky high and my pulse racing on the day.

Anyone on here had one??

Diva
15-08-11, 21:26
Hi Countrygirl

I haven't had one of these but you have been very very helpful and kind to me in the past and you have sent good advice to so many people on here, especially with this type of problem so I just wanted to send you a hug and hope all goes well - I'm sure it will be fine.

As you know I've been having similar symptoms for over a year now and have read alot about the procedure too - they do use a numbing gel. That said I know just how you feel.

Interesting about the skin idea, I've read that before on various sites that some get relief from Vit E cream, hormone gel etc. Have you ever thought about pelvic floor relaxing exercises? It seems to help me but of course I don't know what the cause of my problem is as I'm scared of Drs and tests etc!

How about asking your GP for something to chill you out a little on the day?

Let us know how you get on love.

Best regards

Donna

countrygirl
15-08-11, 21:57
Thanks Donna, I have been so good with my health anxiety past few months but this has triggered off that awful panicky feeling.

I think worse thing I did was look it up on internet as every site says you get pain on urination for days afterwards and risk of uti as well. I know from past experience that any side effects of a proceedure even if expected completely freak me out because I think the worst.

JaneC
15-08-11, 23:49
Hi countrygirl. I've had one and had no after effects whatsoever. I was given an antibiotic either before or after to. counteract any infection and was fine. The worst part was having to have your bladder full but even that wasn't as bad as I feared. Honestly, nothing to worry about xx

countrygirl
16-08-11, 10:18
Didn't know the bit about having to have your bladder full, on the net they say you empty your bladder before the proceedure???? Thinking about it my friend who had one also mentioned the full bladder as well but i thought they pumped sterile water into your bladder while they look with the camera.

Totally confused now!

Girl_Interrupted
16-08-11, 10:31
Hi there, I've had this done, I have over active bladder, confirmed by a urologist. He had to look in my bladder and check that everything was normal. Which it was :) They also look at the urethra as well.

I was under general anaesthesia so wasnt aware of anything, I think the procedure lasted for about 30 minutes. Sterile water is pumped into the bladder so it inflates so a camera is placed through the urethra to look around.

When I woke up I was fine, but it felt like I'd wet myself because of the water they pump in u comes out. They ask you before you leave to go home to have a wee, and I wont lie to u, but that stung like mad!! It took me 10 minutes to squeeze a pee out!! The discomfort lasts for a day or 2 and then goes away. I found the times I wanted to pee I would sit on the toilet at an angle and just dribble it out!! it worked for me. After that I had no problems at all. No infections nothing. The hopsital will tell you what u need to do after the op.

Rest assured you will get through it and will be fine :)

JaneC
16-08-11, 10:54
Hi again Countrygirl - I defo had to go to the appointment with a full bladder. I'm now wondering if that was for the purpose of testing my urinary flow rather than the cystoscopy itself. I am sorry if I have given you wrong info. I think the best thing you can do is contact your GP surgery and ask them, or ask to be put in touch with someone, who can explain exactly what will be done.

Once again tho - no nasty after effects for me! x

hopeless
16-08-11, 12:51
Hi countrygirl
I had this procedure a few yrs ago and i dont remember having to have a full bladder and unfortunately was not given a general anaesthetic..It was uncomfortable and i experienced soreness and some blood but was fine after 25 hrs..

countrygirl
16-08-11, 17:41
sovled the full bladder bit - thats to test your flow rate and nothing to do with the cystoscopy. I have got my appt at the one stop clinic on 30th Aug. I am really dithering about having the cystoscopy as everyone says that it is uncomfortable to have and sore for day or two afterwards but I also know that if I don't have it I will worry.

I really do feel that the stinging Iam getting while urinating is coming from the skin in the area.

ronski
16-08-11, 17:43
Hi Countrygirl
I helped do these urological procedures for years so I can answer your questions. There are many types of urological tests but if they are just looking in the bladder then more than likely they will do it under a local anaesthetic lubricating jelly. This takes a few minutes to work, then they insert a flexible cystoscope which is not that big so should not be uncomfortable. In men it can hurt for a few seconds as it goes through the prostatic capsule but in women it's not an issue. Full or empty bladder dosent matter as they use a bag of fluid with the scope. They will cover the procedure with an appropriate antibiotic such as Gentamycin and you should be fine. The procedure will take about 10 mins approx.
If your problems are in the ureters or kidneys then you are put under a general anaesthetic as the ureters are very sensitive to instrumentation. The scopes then can be flexible or rigid.
Honestly I would not worry unduly as the procedures are only performed by surgeons who are competent and they are good at putting patients at ease. If you can relax while having the procedure you will wonder what all the fuss is about. Write to me if you have any other concerns.

countrygirl
16-08-11, 20:21
Thanks Ronski - have pm'd you.

I have decided to go back to my GP this week and discuss if he thinks I really should have this done as he seemed very reluctant to send me when I saw him and seemed to only agree after I pressed him so will see what he really thinks later this week.

The whole area feels itchy and sensitive and prickly even the skin over my pubic bone area but I am fine no symptoms till mid afternoon which is very very strange. My Gp seemed to think it was more a menopausal lady problem but will see what he says.

Diva
16-08-11, 20:43
Hi again

I think that's a good idea, there seem to be sooooo many problems in this area that are not actually caused by the bladder but either a touch of IC, PFD or skin complaints related to pre- or menopause.

Why not ask if a topical treatment might help??? May be worth a try for a few days or so.

Best love

Donna

cathycrumble
16-08-11, 21:00
Hi Countrygirl

I had it and thy do numb the area my dr even showed me the tv so i could see into my bladder. The only pain I had was when I got home and tried to wee it was very painful as if I had cystitis but after a couple of wees that went ok and i took a couple of pain killers which helped. I had blood in my wee infact I weed blood and i got such a shock when I saw the toilet full of blood.That's why thy did the test as i had a really bad bout of cystitis. They did other tests over the weeks ahead but all tests were fine just bad cystitis. Hope i have helped a bit ?

Cathy xx

countrygirl
16-08-11, 22:43
Thanks Cathy, really nice to hear your experience.

I will abide by whatever my Dr says when I see him - I just felt that I actual pressurised him into sending me for this test and he would not have done it if I hadn't pushed him so will ask him for his honest opinion as to whether he thinks I need it done and if he says yes then off I go on the 30th.

Where you given an antibiotic after the test?