PDA

View Full Version : Cold Turkey is only for Christmas

Flora_UK
15-08-11, 21:53
Cold turkey for 2 weeks now!

I have been on 40mg of CITALOPRAM for 8 months and decided enough was enough.

I went to my GP who recommended I take 20mg for 6 weeks then 20mg every other day until I am weaned off of them. So, in reality I tried 20mg for 2 to 3 days and thought I was tough enough to cope! WRONG!!! I had really bad side effects when I started on the tablets, however I was off sick from work so could stay in bed if I didn't feel well.

I have been back at work for some time - I do a very physical job which includes shift work and have been doing really well. I am on leave for a couple of weeks hence going cold turkey. I read up about the 'withdrawal' symptoms and most people suffer for a couple of weeks and then I came on to this site and read that some people take a couple of months to feel better.

I don't have a couple of months to feel better as I need to go back to work now feeling well and able to cope.

What am I feeling??: sick, dizzy, nauseous, tearful, angry, tired, leg cramps, headaches, unable to coordinate my self, lack of appetite, dehydrated, unable to sleep, dry mouth, craving salt/carbohydrates/sugar, forgetfulness, restlessness, general fizzy feeling about the body, pins and needles, cotton wool head ......

I know all of the above is normal but very difficult to cope with. I went back to the doctor's a few days a go and was prescribed Amitriptyline - 10mg, supposedly to help with the sleeplessness - NOPE. They haven't worked and in fact they made me feel worse. Back to the doctor's again for something else I guess.

I am a strong person with a high pain threshold. My job is very demanding and I can usually cope with pretty much anything but this cold turkey is debilitating. I admit defeat on this one and will ask for help.

A great introduction to me, but that is all I am at the moment - a cold turkey.

Someone very wise said to me today "COLD TURKEY IS ONLY FOR CHRISTMAS!!"

Flora

diane07
15-08-11, 21:54
Hi Flora_UK

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

suzy-sue
15-08-11, 22:05
Hi Flora :welcome:to NMP ..Sorry you are having bad discontinuation syndrome .You came down too quickly from 40mg and were barely stable before you reduced again .No wonder you feel so terrible ..You are now in a catch 22 situation .Its either a matter of going back on a low dose of Cit (10mg) and get stable, or grinning and bearing it ...The sleep probs could be helped with a sleeping pill or an alternative remedy like NIGHT -NURSE tabs or Valerian ..Nothing else will help you get better fast Im afraid .It can be a lengthy process .Please look further down the page .There is a subforum for Citalopram there .You will get plenty of support to help you through this .T/C and Gd luck Sue x:hugs:

Yorkman
16-08-11, 01:21
I find nytol good to help with sleep. The one a night ones, although I take 2 per night sometimes.
Hope you're ok. Maybe go on 10mg for a while.

Vanilla Sky
16-08-11, 21:58
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Paige x

terror-x
16-08-11, 22:09
welcome

aileen32
16-08-11, 22:26
Hi Flora when i have sleep problems i always take melatonin which i usually order from the internet i use the puritans pride 5mg and they are an absolute wonder, they are basically the same hormone your body produces when your falling asleep so you have absolutley no morning hungover feeling like you get with sleeping pills or night all etc they are great. hope your symptoms ease up soon

venusbluejeans
17-08-11, 02:32
Hiya and welcome to NMP I hope you find the help and advice here and maybe make a few friends in the process

:welcome:

Flora_UK
17-08-11, 09:23
Thanks for all of your kind words and the great welcome. I went back to the doctors and have gone back on cit, 10 mg a day for a few weeks and I have also got sleeping tablets. I am feeling better already. Not the way I wanted to do things but hey.......

thanks again for your responses.

Flora