PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Claustrophobia while flying - help

rockweasel
09-05-06, 12:46
Hoping someone out there can help. I have posted before about my extreme panic attacks while flying. Its like intense claustrophobia. I have always still flown but it has been so horrible. I have a 10 hour flight in December and am starting to loose sleep over it already. Just thinking about it causes me to panic.
I have tried EFT and hypnotherapy and valium but to no avail. Another reason I panic is lack of control so when I take valium or lots of alcohol I panic aswell becasue I know there is nothing I can do about it until the 'drug' has worn off.
I don't know what to do about it as I love travelling. Is there anything I can take to completely knock me out and just wake up when I arrive ?
Alos has anyone bought a fear of flying programme called ' SOAR' from pilot in the states ? I don't want to waste my money. All suggestions gratefully recieved ! Thanks.

darkangel
09-05-06, 14:21
hi rock

I too have an intense fear of flying and being "out of control" due to meds, etc.

I am just back from Spain (only 3 hrs) but i did use EFT and positive thinking and kept telling myself to sit back and enjoy - rather than have fearful thoughts.

I found that when I controlled my thought pattern - it worked for me.

Hope this may hlep

Dark

........life is for living not just for surviving

feege
09-05-06, 15:21
Well I'm not much help, I feel exactly the same!

I desperately want to be able to travel more - I have a friend in Spain I really want to visit and just haven't been able to because I am going through a bad patch... but i have found Darkangels trip a real inspiration and I have always done it anyway until recently when my life has just caused so much stress...

I fully intend to do it again and have found that sometimes it goes really well - but like you valium and alcohol are no help whatsoever.. the most important thing for me is to keep everything positive, keep reminding myself that I am excited and how important it is to me not to let the panic win and stop me from doing things....

You could try some cbt counselling specifically for the flying before december?

I reckon with the help of this site you will be flying high by then!!!

Good luck xxxxx

Fee xxxxxx
www.like2like.com

Why live life anticipating the bad things when you could be anticipating the good?
Good and bad things WILL happen!

Keitharcher
09-05-06, 19:51
Hi Rockweasel

I suggest that you use the distration techinique, take an interesting book on board with you, watch the in flight movies, chat up the trolley dollies, sit in an aisle seat where you cannot see out the window, avoid sitting over a wing they are the most bumpy. Avoid alcahol, its a depressant and the canned air on board makes it worse. Let the trolly dollies know that you have a fear of flying. Hope thats of some help

Keith

panicdiva
12-06-06, 10:51
Rockweasal you sound soooo like me it's scary. That's what I hate about flying; being enclosed & not able to get off - hate it when they close those doors! I also feel that meds won't help because I feel out of control once I have taken one because I have to wait until it has worn off - can't drink alcohol either for same reason.

I have a 9hr flight in 2 wks time!!!! When I booked this holiday last August - I was ill for about 3 days - I am not joking! I have been feeling some anxiety - but I have to say that the anxiety has not been as much as in previous years & not lasting as long (although if you read my post from last wk you will see that I did have a pretty bad day thinking about the flight). So I will tell you what I have been doing to help with this.

Since Feb I have been getting reiki healing & hypnotherapy. This has really helped quite abit. It is not an overnight cure - but I do feel a slight shift in my attitude & in my anxiety levels. Also, after reading some advice from someone else on this site I bought a CD called "Overcome The Fear of Flying". I have only listened to it 2x as I just received it on Friday. I am to listen to it everyday for 2 - 3 wks before I go - which is now. I don't know if this will help but I will let you know. Now I realise that it might be more for people who have a fear that they will crash - but some of the sbuliminals at the end of the CD are "I feel very confident whenever I travel by plane". "I love the feeling of freedom that flying fives me." "When I travel by plane I feel calm and composed". So I feel that this applies to people like us who feel trapped on a plane.

I also took Darkangle's advice about writing a list with 2 columns - 1 for reasons not to go on holiday & 2 for reasons to go. My list for the reasons to go is much bigger than the other list - so I keep reading that column to help me feel more positive.

The other thing to try is Bach Remedy which I have been using & it does help but I don't feel as scared of taking it as taking meds. However, in saying that, I did go to the Doc & asked for a low dosage of valium. He gave me 2mg tabs. He told me to take one before I go away to make sure I am ok with it. However, so far I have not as I have the fear that it might make me feel weird & thus panic. I am going to try it on a wk day so if I need help it will be easy to get it. My theory about getting the tabs is that by just having them with me "If things get really bad" will help. That's my theory anyway.

I don't know if any of this will help. However, I hope that just by knowing that you are not the only one who feels like this about flying might help. Also, as you can see there are many others who fear flying but who have come home with positive things to say about their experience. This too can bring some comfort.

When I come back I will let you know if these things helped me.

Grad
12-06-06, 14:12
Hello,
I too hate flying and find distraction techniques (doing puzzles, chatting to the person next to you), positive thinking and controlled breathing helps me through it. Also theres an accupuncturist in my town that lists fear of flying as something they can help with. So may be worth a try, but I've never heard of anyone who's tried it, so not sure how effective or if anyone else here might know the answer to this?

southernstar66
13-06-06, 09:06
Hi - I am exactly the same as you and its quite spooky reading your post as I could almost word my fear the same as yours! I was unable to fly at all until 2 years ago when I decided to go on a fear of flying course which I did through British Airways. They run them a couple of times a year at various airports around the country. I went to the one at Heathrow. I cannot recommend their course enough ...it was brilliant. It was a whole day with theory of flying in the morning and various fears people have and in the afternoon to actual fear that people have and how to over come it. The end of the day lead to an hour flight with all the people who had conducted the course - the pilot, psychologist and crew members. I thought when I went in the morning there might be 10 people there I was amazed to see over 150 when I arrived. They gave us a CD to listen to which is a relaxation CD but also one you use two weeks before you fly and which takes you on an imaginary flight and helps you prepare for a flight.

I also find that I have a set routine I follow now before every flight which I cant change! It is around checking in, getting to the departure lounge, and listening to my CD, only sitting at the back of the plane nowhere near the doors, always telling the crew members of my fear and I find that helps. I also dont like the fear of being out of control although I do take a 1mg tablet of Lorazepam before the flight about 20 minutes beforehand. It just takes the edge of the jittery feelings and gives me a sense of calm. I dont feel out of control just peaceful.

I hope this helps but if you get a chance I would recommend the course or just look at their website I think it is aviatours but you can probably find it by typing in fear of flying courses through google. Good luck you are so not alone x

Paddington
13-06-06, 10:51
i just want to say, i think you are all so brave!You say you are scared but do it anyway,what an inspiration!I wont fly[never been on a plane]the thought of not being able to get off terrifies me!Andthe crowds at the airport!!How brilliant are all you folk who dont let their fear stop them?I am amazed by all of you!Hey maybe there is hope 4 me yet..one day i'll fly away!!!love mary-rose.xxxxxx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore

petegms
13-06-06, 18:13
I am just like all of you, I have intense panick attacks when flying. Alot of you said meds dont help, but if i take a couple xanax or klonopins before i fly, i am pretty calm. I take 2 or 3 then put in a relaxing cd and just try and sit back and enjoy the ride. Ask your doctor if you can get some before the trip, they helped me!

Tippytoes
23-11-12, 13:15
I can't believe that there are other people out there who feel the same way! I used to fly all the time, I actually used to enjoy it. A few years ago I started suffering with extreme claustrophobia. I am better than I was, but I still wont go on a train or bus. This doesn't cause too much of a problem, but flying is the big one. I haven't been on a plane for two years because of finances, but I have been pleased that I could use it as an excuse. The last time I got on a plane it was touch and go if I could get on, and even then I had to drug myself up, which also makes me freak out. It's the fear that I can't get out. I wish there was something I could do to get over it. At the moment I am not sure that I will ever be able to get on a plane again. It upsets me as I love travelling and I dont want my family to miss out because of me.

claire_2910
23-11-12, 14:49
Hello everyone.

I have a fear of flying. When I book the holiday i get excited and can't wait. However, when it draws near I feel sick to the point I can't eat and make myself ill. I flew about a month ago and I made myself unwell from all the worry of panicking. However when i was on the plane - all my 'negative' thoughts went away. I FORCED myself to act like I enjoyed it. So smiled, made myself laugh and 'pretended' to enjoy it. You know what, it worked. 5 minutes before getting on the plane was awful, I wondered how I was going to make the flight. The anxiety shot through the roof.

But.... only YOU can control your thoughts. I have listened also to the CD and Overcome Flying and you need to start 4/5 weeks prior to flying (morning and evening). I can never stomach anything so drink milk, which is calming and lines the stomach so you don't feel empty. If you can, eat a bannana as these too have the same calming effect as milk. Listen to the CD in the airport and zone out from the crowd.

Good Luck! I am here if you need anymore advice xxxxxx

Col
23-11-12, 18:02
Hi rockweasel, I envy you because your half way there. Go for it, dont let this hurrdle deter U. I suffer with this horrendously someone would have to physicaly restrain me like a child , im serious. I used to fly every where fom Jamaica to Florida and Spain , Tunisia , Italy ( as I've got older and this was even before I suffered with full blown anxiety disorder). What did me was ~ my mother!!!!!!! I had my first child at 20 years old (and me and my then boyfriend now husband whom I've now been married to for 8 years), basically my mum had hangups and had seperated from my dad and then got back-together, several times!!! Very turbulent relationship, excuse the punn. Despite her having me at 18, she was just completely awful and because I was living with mum and dad whilst pregnant, she made me go on holiday with her dad & my brother to Ibiza ( of all places ). The reason she gave is , " your not staying here , in this house with him" ! I was newly pregnant and for culture reasons me and my boufriend now husband at that time, were having problems( our families) . So i remember sobbing , getting in a state the day before and thats where i trace my fear of flying to. I nearly collapsed on the outward journey and thats when the " im really trapped and cant get off " first hit me ! Its such a shame, because just the thought of flying makes me all funny. I went to the BA & virgin website recently. No, I've not got any plans to travel but, I was just wondering about it the other week after that channel 4 ' plane crash' I was completely freaking out, went to bed going on and on at my husband. There is a course through these airlines and all the info is on there. Your half way there, you've got the flight booked, you can do it! Tapping exercises may help you on you tube. What about staying awake the day before or, timming it so, you could sleep on the plane and take some sleeping pills also, to ensure you have a good sound sleep.

Takecare, your in the right mind set, at least. Enjoy:winks:

starlight78
23-11-12, 21:17
I HATE flying. I haven't flown now for about 4 years and the thought of getting on a plane again is terrifying.
For me the main issue is being trapped and not able to get out. I'm not scared if the actual process of flying. The only way to fly for me is very very medicated! I usually take between 10-20mg diazepam 30mins before the flight. I still have a panic attack as we take off, but then I zonk out completely and wake up there.
The lead up to a flight is awful though, sleepless nights for weeks!

I did the fear of flying course. It was great for people who were scared of the process, but less effective for claustrophobia I think. X x

girl20
01-08-15, 03:39
I too have the same fear! The worst part is that I also used to love flying! I became claustrophobic a couple of years ago after both of my parents were diagnosed with severe depression. They are perfectly fine now, but my fear doesn't seem to go away. I wish I could do something to overcome this fear so I can visit Europe soon. However, I haven't been on flights longer than 2 hours in the past years and even though they weren't that terrible as I imagined them to be beforehand, I am scared I will freak out on a longer trip and lose control. The thought of being trapped in one place for so many hours makes me super nervous.

As a piece of advice, something that helped me a lot during the short plane trips I've taken so is taking a bottle of water with me. Everytime I started feeling panicky, I would take a long sip of water and somehow it made me feel much better.

sial72
01-08-15, 07:37
I used to have extreme fear of flying to the extent that I stopped flying all together for 5 years. I did the British Airways course which was interesting but I was still afraid.
To me what helped me the were 2 things, a fear of flying book by Alan Carr (can't remember the name) and the other thing is letting go of control, when I sit on the plane I close my eyes and say to myself, I am now handing all control over to the pilot and God (or whoever) and what will be will be, I can't do anything about it....and for me, this works

girl20
01-08-15, 18:58
You're very brave and I am so glad you were able to overcome your fear successfully :)
Hopefully, I'll be able to share a similar post in the future.
All I know is that no matter how difficult it is, I'm not going to let my fears stop me from accomplishing my dreams.

dally
01-08-15, 19:17
You are all very brave and to be applauded!!
I have never been on a plane. And I am aware I have acutely missed out on life's experiences. The worst is never sharing these with my family.
For me, it is the fear of fear, being totally histerical and making everyone on that plane journeys life a misery. But my biggest fear is not being able to get back to my safe place (home)
And obviously the miles travelled on a plane would make that impossible.
So..I have never attempted it.
There are no drugs that could relax me enough to get on the plane and last the journey
And
No drugs to keep me relaxed till I could return!!

Pepperpot
01-08-15, 20:45
urgh I am terrified of flying - I am the same as you claire 2910. Diazepam and a glass of wine helps, but it is not the answer. My sister did a fear of flying course - not cos she was scared of flying as such, but cos she was fearful of public transport! Anyway, that combined with a hypnotist worked. x

Pea84
15-07-17, 08:34
I had/have such a debilitating fear of flying. I am very claustrophobic and have fears of being underground on the subway and even long train rides or bus rides. I hate the feeling of being out of control. That being said, I was positive I could NEVER get on a plane due to my extreme panic that would make me lose sleep just thinking about it. I also have a fear of meds due to feeling like I will lose control.
When my father passed away I realized that I needed to get on a plane to put him to rest... I read lots of forums to get advice and was relieved to find others like myself (I've always felt very alone with my crazy fears that one one else ever seems to understand). I read some posts from others who had med fears for the same reasons as I do and they said they took Ativan and it didn't make them lose control and just took the fear away.
I took the Ativan surrounded by my family just in case something went wrong, but it didn't!! I felt totally fine but my fear was pretty much gone. I went through a few seconds of discomfort here and there while flying, but I never panicked, and I never lost control for the entire flight. I made it home fine with the Ativan and went back an year later without any issues. Then I took a trip from Toronto Canada to LA California (approx 5hrs) and I was fine again.
I will be flying alone for the first time ever ( I can't believe this is actually happening) in a few days, and I know Ativan will save me agin. I'm back reading the forums for strength and it makes me feel more secure, but also wanna share my story as this may help someone the way some stories really helped me!!
Stay strong. Don't get in your head. Practice deep breathing. And ask your doctor if Ativan can be prescribed. It also helps me to let the flight crew know about my fears, they are always nice and supportive.
Best of luck to all!!

Beth28
21-08-17, 07:43
I'm about to have a long haul flight on Friday. Any tips? It's the claustrophobia that is getting to me and the turbulence and the threat of DVT as well as you know. Even thinking about it has my bowels going and that is not a joke.