PDA

View Full Version : Help please!

Velma66
16-08-11, 10:44
Hi
just need to unload really! I've had anx & dep since last December- was really bad but began improving in June-it's been a long slow process with lots of ups & downs. Went back to work yest for 4 hours, few days before this was feeling v anxious but managed it ok-yest felt v anxious with nausea, dizzy & derealisation symptoms but again was able to manage it. V tired when got home but pleased I did it. I've got up this morning & feel dreadful, on the verge of a panic attack, feel nausea, dizzy, ears feel really weird & generally fearful-I am just about controlling it. I've got work at 2pm & I'm so scared I won't be able to do it. Do I push myself & just get on with it? I'm so disappointed that I feel like this again, it's so horrible, I feel like I was beginning to get back on track, now anxiety is back, it's so unfair. My husband has had painful blocked ears for the last week so a part of me thinks it may be a virus but most of me tells me it's anxiety. I'm gutted, the thought of being at home all day on my own (hubby at work) feeling like this scares me but don't know if it's sensible to go to work, do I push myself & hope I'll be ok?- pls help!!

Horse
16-08-11, 11:40
Velma.

As a veteran of 40 years Anxiety, I will say this.

This illness will kick you where it's gonna hurt the most!

Needless to say, when you're feeling that you're doing pretty good and feeling quite proud of yourself, then BANG, it hits you again!

This is why it's so cunning.

The best way I have dealt with it over the years is to try and ignore it (not easy I know). I have now got used to the heart attack symptoms so much so that I no longer care about the sudden pain in the left arm or the shooting pain in the head or the dizzy spell etc etc. OK, everytime I get a reminder, I think that this could be it, this could be the heart attack or the brain tumour or whatever, then I think to myself, so what!

I discover everyday upon waking that I'm still alive (although some will beg to differ) and that I live to fight another day. I find that if I talk to whatever symptoms I'm getting that particular day (crazy I know but it hepls me) then they just fade into insignificance.

Don't fight it but instead try to control it.

Horse.

Velma66
16-08-11, 12:27
Thank you Horse for your reply, it really helps to know I'm not alone.
You're so right, I shouldn't fight it but try to control it, I did it yesterday & I can do it again today. I will try to make use of all the techniques I have learnt.

Also, I'm bound to feel like this- I haven't been to work for 8 months-it's going to feel weird! And you're right, anxiety is very cunning & creeps up when you think things are going ok-it's a crafty so & so isn't it!
I will ignore the anxiety symptoms, they are just physical symptoms & providing I take it slowly, I will be fine.

Thanks once again, hope your day goes ok too x

Horse
16-08-11, 13:41
I think you're using the right approach.

Providing you don't ignore anything that is a serious health issue (and most of them are not) then you will cope as I have done over the years.

It won't cure you, but it will teach you that althought it's Hell, you can take it!

I find it's a question of adjusting your life around the symptoms if you can do that.

Horse.

Velma66
16-08-11, 20:20
Yes you're right Horse, I have to adapt to the symptoms, in fact I think I've been doing that to some extent without even realising it! Today went well, I got to work, controlled the anxiety & I'm feeling rather pleased with myself, tired, but it's a worthwhile tired if that makes sense.

Thanks so much for your advice & support-means a lot. Hope your day went well too.