PDA

View Full Version : Going back in the past

kellynwv
09-05-06, 16:22
My therapist wants to go back to my past. My father was an alcoholic, and wants to discuss this. He said if I see where my anxiety comes from it might help me.

Also, he wants me to practice deep breathing everyday. He said it will slow down my heart rate.. we shall see.

I just wanted to share.

andrew
19-05-06, 00:59
hi kelly,

the learning to breathe better sounds like a sensible idea. i do think you need to own your past, to be able to move on. but it should be your choice to look back. tc andrew

joolsukuk
19-05-06, 01:24
hi.
it can do no harm to discuss the past, im sure if your not comfortable with it he will stop. they are there to help you.
good luck xx

jools xx

kellynwv
19-05-06, 15:29
Thank you.

I want to tell you guys.. the breathing is helping so much!

Our last session we talked about work, and also he thinks I should get involved with some extra activates, like church (if I want of course) or maybe some volunteer work with animals or kids. I think I am going to do it!

Coyote
23-05-06, 18:15
If you have negative things that bind you to this day, such as could be the source of the anxieties, its definately worth sorting out, whether its through talking to a third party or even in your own head.

A good saying on this is, "If you're constantly looking back, you're not looking forward". (Consciously yes, but even more importantly - subconsciously).

"Where is the honour, the courage and will? The ability to smile - confined to a pill"

kellynwv
23-05-06, 19:11
Well I have not really thought about my past, but I am a adult child of an alcholic. Now that I am looking into my past it hurts badly. I don't like it, but if it will help me I will do it.

Also, he is having my husband come to a session, which I find strange.

thanks.