PDA

View Full Version : This is me, hi

atreides
07-04-04, 20:54
I am a 19 year old scottish student. i am usually okay most of the time, but I had a bad accident about a month ago. I heamorraged and lost about 8 pints of blood in about 1 1/2 hours. I needed emergency surgery three times in one day. i cant sleep well anymore, i cry over nothing, and i have flashbacks to the operating theatre and the accident, even i shouldnt really remember it because i was so out of it, or sedated. Anyway, i cant talk to my family about this,it was really embarassing how it happened.(i was "with" my boyfriend [:I] and it was the uterine artery that was torn)My mum knows how it happened, but she won't talk about it, except to say i was "very lucky". I would just like some ideas on how to get over this, to get a good nights sleep! Thanks for reading

uryjm
07-04-04, 22:26
Hi there.
As far as I know, your feelings are quite common to people who've had a fairly traumatic operation, a kind of post-op depression. I hate not getting a "good" night's sleep, but it happens when I'm stressed out. There was an article a few days ago in the Daily Mail about insomnia, and a few interesting facts it pointed out were:
- Hardly anyone gets or needs 8 hours sleep. Six hours is much more common, and four is not unusual.
- However bad it gets, keep going to bed at the same time and establish a routine.
- Try not to cat-nap during the day.
Hope you feel a lot better soon, and ask your doctor if he can arrange for you to see a professional nurse or counsellor to talk to.

Jim

atreides
07-04-04, 22:48
thanks Jim. I will take your advice on board, and give it a try. thanks again for reading and replying
Atreides x

sal
07-04-04, 23:42
Hi Atreides, sounds like youve had a rough time of it. Can understand the flash backs and sleepless nights but not through a operation like youve been through. Must be even harder for you that you havent told people what you have been through, pleased you have spoke to your mum though. Cant be easy in that situation. How has your boyfriend coped with it? Your mum is probably lost for words and doesnt know what to say to make it right and maybe finds it hard because you will probably be always her little girl. I suffer panic attacks, anxiety and depression and how it all started was from a major fight at work, that was a while ago and still suffer flash backs but worse of all have taken on the traits thinking every time i panic that i will loose control like what i saw. This site has really helped and a bonus to you you are asking for support and advice rather than 4 years down the line. It comes from within and the support of those you trust. Everyone on here has been brilliant with me and they will offer you all the support you need. I get paranoid at the moment at the slightest thing and worry even over the internet people wont take to me but this has showed me thats down to my illness. They always say face your fears and it is the best medicine possible, please dont give into flash backs and sleepless nights. I did and wish id fought it all the way. You will get better and after serious surgery you know it will take time but you can beat this. You could be suffering from PTS now and maybe like Jim says a visit to a counsellor wouldnt not harm at all. Will make you open up and tell them exactly how you feel. Your mum not wanting to talk about it will not help you but youve got to remember the pain she must have been through seeing her daughter so ill. Confront your fears now and it will make you so much stronger but if you cant we'll help you through it. I admire you so much for asking for support so much earlier on than i did. Keep in touch Love Sal xxxx

Sal xxxx

nomorepanic
08-04-04, 16:55
Hi Atreides

Just wanted to say welcome to the site. We chatted in the Chat room last night and it was lovely to meet you so please stick around and you will get loads of support here.

May catch you again later in chat.

Nicola

atreides
08-04-04, 22:24
Hi Salbunny, Thankyou for your words of support, they really mean a lot. Im glad that the site has supported u and i hope that your health continues to improve. As for your question, my boyfriend broke up with me a couple of days after it happened, i was angry and accused him of deliberately hurting me, even though i know it was an accident. I haven't spoken to him since, but it isn't really bothering me as much as i thought it would. Anyway thankyou for asking, it is great to get replies. Atreides x

red
09-04-04, 13:01
Hi Atreides!

Good to meet you in the chat room last night - hope you felt better afterwards.

I missed replying to your favourite cartoon question! Mine is good old Donald Duck! I'm that mad I can understand every word he says!!! Same goes for Sweep (of Sooty and Sweep)!

Take care!

Red
x

me
09-04-04, 14:35
hi atreides, welcome to this wonderful site its full of fab people who really understand x you sound like you have had an awful time and then your boyfriend leaving you, you have had so much to cope with. its really good advice from jim to see if you can see a counsellor, they really do help, they do not judge ,you can say anything and its good to get stuff out, ive been seeing one and she is brill i have told her things i could never tell my family or friends. keep in touch take care love from mary x

atreides
09-04-04, 20:46
Thank you everyone for your replies. I am feeling much better today now that i have had chance to talk and get it all off my chest. Will ask my doctor about counsellors at my next checkup, and i will let you know how i get on. Thanks again from your interest and concern, it means a lot to me
Atreides x

brill
10-04-04, 01:21
Hi Atreides and welcome to the site.

You may not remember but we met in the chat room a few days ago and I am so sorry to hear about your probs,My wife and I went through something a little bit simmerler to yours and now we are the proud perents of a little boy. So best of luck mate.

Brill.

Never give up
Never give in
Life,s to short
Make it last :)
Brill

Meg
13-04-04, 15:34
Hi Atreides,

The main thing is that you are safe and getting better and healing physically.

Flashbacks are completely normal and are your body's way of working through the issues . As has been written before, keep to your normal sleep routine and it will come back. Some passiflora herb may help break the insomnia cycle.

Do tell your doctor and they may recommend a counsellor or wherever you're studying may have one.

Meg