PDA

View Full Version : ECG's advice please

june2010mama
17-08-11, 21:53
ok after my post the other day afyer my heart randomly went MENTAL ive been freeking ever since, i notice every twtch in my chest and heart
was with my CBT therapist todat he was trying to convince me that there is nothing wrong wih my heart, and it worked up till not long ago
i had blood tests yesterday but i wont get results till tommorrow or friday
but im just not going to be convinced there is nothing wrong with my heart unless i get an ECG done, it feels that i have to or i just cant rest
my cbt therapist was like 'your 21 and do not fall under any of the risk catagories'
that doesnt matter im still convinced
ugh its so exhusting being contantly anxious (im sure u all know!)
do i have to be refferred of an ECG or can u just phone the hospital
also if there is anything wrong with my heart will it show in my blood tests?
love xx

nomorepanic
17-08-11, 22:00
Hi

You have to get the doctor to agree to do an ECG you can't just call the hospital and ask for one.

No, blood tests will not show problems with your heart if they are general ones which I expect they are.

june2010mama
17-08-11, 22:04
they are testing my thyroid gland..to see if its overactive!

nomorepanic
17-08-11, 22:15
Ok that won't show anything to do with your heart then.

countrygirl
17-08-11, 22:26
YOur Gp surgery can do a quick ecg, usually the nurse does it so you could ask your Dr for one if your thryoid tests come back normal. As you know an overactive thryoid will make your heart race but this tends to be all the time and not just a short burst so I bet your thyroid test is okay.

s11fyx
18-08-11, 09:05
if your thryoid is over active a side affect is your heart beats really fast but its usually does it all the time. but other blood tests wont show you will need a ecg theres acharity called cry and they offer free ecgs and echos and a cradoligist is there to check them you could go to them they tracel round the country if you check there website it will say where there next one is

ronski
18-08-11, 15:48
Mama June your therapist was right you are not in a risk category for heart disease. If you did have an ECG would that be the end of your concerns, I don't think so as a person with anxiety is always seeking reassurance.
A more important test to put your mind at rest is an echo cardiogram as that shows the integrity of your heart which at your age is far more sensible than an ECG that shows rate, rhythm and any ischaemic changes that you are at no risk of yet.
What you need is a compassionate and understanding doctor who will spend the time to put your anxieties into perspective, your cardiac event needs explaining and put into perspective. We all have palpitations and the occasional tachycardias and all they are is a result of aberrant nervous system firing via the vagus nerve.