PDA

View Full Version : How do I stop thinking about anxiety

geejaybee
18-08-11, 09:04
Hi,

After nearly 2 years of all-day, ever present anxiety, for a couple of months my anxiety levels were very low and recenty not present at all. That is brilliant, I finally felt there was a future without constant fear and "adrenaline injections".
My problem is that I am now thinking myself into anxiety state, by wondering and remembering what is was like. Its like I'm looking to see where it is all the time and then Bam! I find it, and although not back to square one, it a very retrograde step.
How do I "forget" about it when I'm feeling well?

LaNae
18-08-11, 17:32
Great question, I'll be looking forward to seeing responses.

Velma66
18-08-11, 17:48
that is a great question! I hope someone has some good suggestions

cathycrumble
18-08-11, 18:10
Claire weekes has the answer to that question in her book self help for your nerves. It's like the lost handbag you get so used to carrying it around that when you stop you keep looking for it. It's a habit of carrying anxiety and depression we feel strange when we start feeling better we go looking for it Hope this makes sense lol

Cathy xx

oldtime
18-08-11, 18:27
The endless intrusive thoughts that fill your mind when suffering from anxiety. I thought they would never stop, but they have. I'm not sure how but I put it down to a combination of these things:

Citalopram - the AD's may have helped end the carousel of worries
Yoga - learning to relax and concentrate on my breath and the muscles movements needed for practising yoga.
CBT - filling my mind with the good things in life, making a point to have conversation with friends and passers by, and getting involved with hobbies. Letting go of niggles and annoyances that really don't matter.
Mindfullness - catching myself when my thoughts turn inward and try to concentrate instead on the sights, feelings and sounds around me.
Acceptance - trying to accept that I have anxiety and that the feelings I'm getting are out of my control I cannot fight them, but they will loose there power over me and weaken if I can just accept them.

Which of the above has led to my recovery, I don't know but I think if you do all of the above then this will take you down the path of recovery.