PDA

View Full Version : Pulse checking like its out of fashion? Come here.

WILLIAMthedude
18-08-11, 14:51
So you've discovered how to check your pulse.

This can be quite relaxing. What could be more assuring than feeling a nice steady beat of 65 bpm? Not much for the compulsive pulse checker.

Then you get panicked, 180 bpm... "Awh man!"

Then you get tired, 47 bpm... "Awh jinkies!"

You've probably been online and looked into your pulse and what it means. This is anxious behaviour and you are misleading yourself. Medicine is an expert system, highly efficient, they've got a name for everything. These "symptoms" are coded and then shown to represent a condition.

You do not have a condition. You've been checked out. You have a perpetual inappropriate anxiety disorder, and your researching is part of it.

Here are some cool, soothing facts for you.

A heart rate nearing 200 bpm is a perfectly normal physiological response to adrenaline release during a panic attack. It will abate. It is a completely useless response and something you should neglect thinking about.

A heart rate less than 60 bpm when tired, in bed or sleeping is a perfectly normal physiological response to tiredness. No one has a heart rate above 60 when sleeping. Well, this might not be true for everyone but generally, healthy people can expect anything from 40 - 55 bpm when sleeping. In some instances lower or higher rates exist too but for the most part these are commonly observed rates that worry people. They should not.

The body is not a mathematical property, it is an ever changing art. Your pulse changes moment to moment. Even taking your pulse can make it lower or higher, or even skip beats. Depending on how you alter your breathing, perhaps steadying it to take an accurate measure (so much for accuracy) or increasing due to excitement.

So relax.

The following is cool advice.

So, I take it you are aware your symptoms are induced by your "thinking", that negatively cyclical thought process of "what if" and "what the BEEP is THIS? I didn't have a pain in my finger before, it must be elephant cancer".

Relax. Good posture and breathing exercises. Address your posture and breathing, this will soooooooooooothe you to no end.

Breath in for one count, hold for four and then exhale for two counts.

This simple exercise, with practise will ease you and correct that shallow-chest breathing with more revitalising diaphragmatic breathing.

Control is important, you know? Don't loose yourself in some flailing pathetic, "Oh my, I'm all gonna pass out, oh jinkies why did I listen to the crazy man".

Just know you are secure and don't follow the arrows your sensations toss up. You are the driver, the pilot, the conductor.

You've allowed your consciousness to expand out of your mind and consume your body and the world around you. Reel it back in. Stop "feeling" the world and put it back in your mind. You know? Stop using your body to perceive your existence. You just need to think and think calm, contented and happy thoughts. Let them invade your life.

Make your body an environment that no long accommodates anxious thought. Take your own advice! You are a smart person, a considerate person, a good person. Listen to your compassionate advice. Let yourself feel confident. Follow the lead you'd follow if you were not anxious. Ease into it at a comfortable pace.

Try watching some stand up comedy. Chris Rock will make you LOL. It can be found on YouTube. Laughing can take some time to get used to so try a mediocre comedian to start with. Then just feel great. Write a screen-play and send it to the BBC. Draw some pictures. Take up photography.

Distract your good self. Use your creative intellect constantly throughout the day as a useful asset in pursuing a passion - this will stop your anxiety as the part of the brain used to create symptoms is distracted.

It's basically known as, enjoying yourself.

Magical, right?

Stop fearing fear itself and freakin' enjoy yourself. You're a talented person. Smile more, have it become a pre-set expression.

Remember, embrace your passions. Breath like oxygen is free drug and maintain good posture when sitting and walking.

Everything else is just a toy.

P.S. This website is full of anxious people like you... try to escape it from time to time or associate with the merriest participants. Last thing we need is a bunch of paranoid people confounding our fears right? Right.

P.S.S. If you are reading this you are awesome and not one of the paranoid people... and you will be anxiety free. Completely. So, ya know, smile about it.

paula lynne
18-08-11, 18:19
Hi there, a good post. Do you mind me asking if you are medically trained, or was this from a book etc?
Paula

WILLIAMthedude
25-08-11, 09:25
Just from readings and personally gained professional advice from cardiologists. I've chased a few with concerns in my time.

P.S. I'd like to inform people that sleeping position can affect how we feel in the morning. Research has shown that sleeping on your back can make breathing rather laborious at night which can lead to an unrefreshing sleep.

Try lying on your side. It is important you are comfortable but give this a try and see if you notice a difference.

4Catswoman
25-08-11, 17:15
Hi William- great post! Just what I needed to read right now & it's a fantastic encouragement for me to just
go 'out there' & stop seeking reassurances & using my usual supports etc.
Thank you!
Serena x

WILLIAMthedude
21-09-11, 00:58
Absolutely. Thanks for reading.

daybyday
21-09-11, 01:04
Thank you William.
Made me smile, laugh, and my heart rate even slowed down to a happy lub dub. The power of thought on the body. And yes, you caught me. The Pulse Checker. Even have an Oximeter finger thing. lol

boat ride
21-09-11, 01:45
cool sounds good . I did it for 10 years and now i dont think about it.
but nice to see some one post like this . boat ride.

Magic
21-09-11, 10:58
Hi William,Good reading. I have a bit to add. Some thing I read some where.If anyone has difficulty getting to sleep.
First of all all lie on your back. make sure you relax your shoulders one at a time,
then after a while get into a uncomfortable position.
when you have had enough turn to a comfortably position and that should help you to go to sleep.
Some times for health reasons turnig over in bed is difficult though---- has happened to me I had to lie on my back for a few months propped up on pillows.
Love to every one